New to Diabetes Type 2 Insulin - Very confused!

With your meals, I would suggest to record the number of grams of carbohydrates (carbs), protein and fat. Three numbers - record each separately for each meal. What can be easy to forget is that what one person considers “typical and normal” for a breakfast is what somebody would be shocked about. Adding these numbers for each meal would add a great of information to your logs and potentially be very helpful for your conversation with your Docs.

As well, record all the snacks during the day. Even the small ones. Record it all. Don’t try to “cheat” or “hide”. This is only to help you. In terms of snacking, this is also something else that can be HIGHLY variable from person to person. If it is not logged accurately then your medical team has to make assumptions which are generally not as good as the real data.

Is this aggravating? Sure. But this is also about YOU taking charge of YOUR health and doing all you can to get the best possible improvements. There is no magic as you have found but YOU do have the chance to do quite a lot for yourself. It does take work.

2 Likes

Good point! I didn’t exactly try my best to be low carb/low sugar yesterday and today…

Although low carb is an approach some people use quite successfully, to start with, you need to be able to share with your medical team what you are actually eating. It is FIRST about recording the data accurately. So if on one meal they see the insulin has one particular response and on another meal the insulin has a different response, perhaps you would have the data to show what was different about the meals. Or maybe the time of day.

Point being. The food logs should NOT be about making you feel guilty about eating or trying to get you to change RIGHT NOW. Record it all. Use the data with your medical team. Figure out the medication.

And then you may all decide that changes in your diet will be helpful (in conjunction with medication / insulin). It is the unusual person who could not benefit from a change of diet. However I am sure you know many people who have horrible diets who do not have diabetes. Clearly diet alone does not cause diabetes. You may have to tell yourself that at each meal but it is the honest truth.

You can always improve your diet. You can help manage this with dietary modifications (and medication / insulin).

However your diet DID NOT cause this.

1 Like

Ultimately, if insulin resistance is one of your underlying issues, you may also have the Metformin increased. Extended release (XR/ER) Metformin is easier on the stomach than non-ER, but it’s also ramped up over a few weeks in order to mitigate GI effects. You’re currently only at ~50% of maximum recommended dosage of Metformin. Meformin isn’t a basal insulin, or similar to a basal insulin, but if you have plenty of insulin (like many T2’s do) it can help to reduce the insulin resistance.

1 Like

It is possible to successfully treat a T2 with mixed insulin, my brother is doing so. Treating T2 with insulin can be quite different than a T1 but as in my case it can be the same. That’s the trouble with us T2s we are all over the place in our treatment needs. Things that seem just silly to a T1 may actually work for a T2. I told my brother that his doctor was in the stone ages and he proceeded to prove me wrong.

Keep in touch with your doctor, I believe you have not yet gotten near your insulin needs, they may go up drastically before you reach you goals.

Insulin is the most effective drug for lowering blood glucose but it must be treated with great respect, notice I did not say it is something to be feared.

One piece of advice I gave to my brother is that you cannot medicate your T2 troubles away, it takes much more than drugs. It takes a real effort to eat right and get some exercise.

1 Like

@Timbeak48 has been known to mix the occasional joke in. If you read too fast sometimes the humor gets past you.
:slight_smile:

Mrs Noobie, glad you joined our group !

Robert

1 Like

It sounds like you need basal insulin like lantus or levemir or tresiba and a fast acting like novolog for meals. You may still need metformin too. I would not take the mix insulin those don’t seem to work well for anyone. Ask your doctor and go to someone else if it doesn’t get results.

@MrsNoobie, welcome to the TuDiabetes forum! There’s a lot to learn in the beginning and if you play it right, you’ll never stop learning.

In order to understand your insulin needs you’ll hear mention of the terms basal and bolus. In between meals and during long periods when you’re not eating, like when you’re sleeping, your body, especially your brain needs a constant supply of glucose. Luckily the body has figured out how to store glucose in readily available places.

The liver has a large store of glucose that can be shifted out during periods when there is no food digesting. The body still needs insulin to metabolize that glucose. In response to that need, a non-diabetic pancreas will secrete small pulses of insulin to satisfy that requirement. This is called basal insulin. So, as a person with diabetes, you need to replace this long acting slow delivery insulin.

The intermediate-acting insulin part of your insulin dose, the 75% portion, especially when taken twice per day provides this function. Each of your 20 units doses delivers 15 units of the intermediate insulin that acts as basal insulin.

The other 5 units of each dose, the 25% portion, is the rapid-acting insulin intended to metabolize meals. The meal insulin is often describe as the bolus insulin.

One of the disadvantages of the fixed 75/25 intermediate/rapid-acting mix is that you might find it difficult to balance both the basal and bolus needs well. To get enough bolus insulin for a meal may mean taking more of the longer acting component than you’d like or need.

To make matters more complicated, intermediate acting insulins often play a dual basal/bolus role. You take one morning and one evening dose but no injection for lunch. That lunch is covered by the intermediate portion of your breakfast dose that conveniently peaks around lunchtime. So, don’t miss your mid-day meal or you might go low!

As others have suggested, you will learn your personal metabolism more quickly if you can keep some notes on insulin dose size, dose timing before eating, and the kind and amount foods that you eat. Checking your glucose with a fingerstick meter at mealtime and few hours later will give you an idea how well things are working.

You are learning about your own unique metabolism here, so it is valuable information! You will not metabolize the same meal the same way each day. In fact, the time of day will affect your food metabolism. You don’t have to write stuff down but you will learn more quickly if you do.

There’s a lot to learn here. You don’t have to learn it all at once. Learn a little bit each day. It will add up to a lot over time.

Every insulin formulation comes packaged with a printed insert of information about the insulin. It may seem overly technical at first but it’s worth it to at least skim through it so you know what it generally covers. Here’s the Humalog 75/25 Mix package insert.

Good luck and please return with questions!

1 Like

I can’t remember whether it was at Tudiabetes or Glu where a vet related (a few years ago) he went to a VA endo and the endo-- no joke-- gave him NPH and among his brochures had an illustration of a glass syringe.

We told that guy to RUN away from this endo as fast as possible!

Hi All! As a “noobie” I was stopped from replying more than 20 times yesterday and had to wait my allotted 24 hours before I could respond… Thank you to all that have commented… an update:

Fasting reading this morning was 17.2

40 units taken with protein breakfast of 2 x eggs and 2 sausage with water

Only water after breakfast and fasted rest of day until 17:00

Readings taken as follows:

Very happy the readings are moving but very sad that I had to fast all day…

Dilemma now as to units dosage - increase again or continue at 40 and see how it goes?

This is not easy…

Before dinner (at 11.0mmol/L) I took 40 units and had a very high carb dinner of 2 white bread sandwiches with cold meats and tomato.

2 hours later reading was 14mmol/L

Had a hot chocolate and 2 rows of milk chocolate and reading at bed is 24.9 (2 hours after drink and sweet).

Who or what stopped you from replying in the 24 hours after your post? I’m not aware of any built-in mechanism that does this. Please give more detail.

Your numbers remain high despite skipping a mid-day meal. It looks like you still need more insulin. In your initial post you wrote that you were taking 75/25 Humalog mix twice per day, 20 units each in the morning and evening. Now you write that you took 40 units yesterday in the morning. Did you also take a 40-unit dose in the evening?

Hi @Terry4
I got an automated response pop up whenever I clicked “reply” and it told me that I had to wait for 23 hours to pass. At exactly 23 hours I was able to reply. Sorry but I didn’t take a screen dump…

WRT to insulin doses I have tried to self manage and I increased from 20 units Friday evening to 25 units Saturday morning then 30 units Saturday evening and finally 40 units this morning for breakfast and dinner…

I believe this is standard anti-spam control for the forum software. Configurable of course for each forum site by the forum admin.
“The maximum number of topics a user is allowed to create in their first day on the site”
“The maximum number of replies a user is allowed to create in their first day on the site”

@MrsNoobie - Who obviously is a real user and not a spam-bot (lol) is probably passed the “first day” threshold so one would assume no longer need be concerned about these.

2 Likes

I will look into this. Sorry for the site getting in the way of your posting.

@Tim35 - Thanks for additional info.

No problem at all!
Although the wait to post was excruciating!

:rofl:

I understand. I may be unaware of some special “first day rules” for new members. Your membership is only one day old. I trust that you now can participate as often as you’d like!

And how… I am so happy to have found such a wonderful community with a wealth of knowledge and the kindness to share so willingly!

Late to the discussion, but here is my $0.02

I don’t like mixed insulins for one fundamental reason: they are an attempt to apply a one-size-fits-all solution and those simply don’t work worth a rodential fundament when dealing with diabetes.

In the diabetes community, there is a saying: YDMV (“Your Diabetes May Vary”). All it means is that every case is individual and nuanced and very very VERY few cases are a good fit for the average or “standard” guidelines. For instance: one person’s body chemistry and physiological response may mean that insulin A is very effective for them but insulin B is less so, whereas the next person’s reactions may be exactly the opposite.

It also means that each person’s sensitivity to different insulins is personal and individual, and that is the crux of why I don’t have much use for mixed insulins. Mixed insulins represent an attempt to use a fixed ratio of basal to fast acting insulin, and by definition also require them to be administered at the same time.

Now suppose your particular blood sugar behavior responds best to taking a basal insulin once a day, and fast acting insulin with each meal (a very common pattern, by the way). With a mix, you can’t do that. So you’re going to get less-than-optimal results no matter how hard you try.

And suppose the fast acting insulin in the mix is working perfectly but the basal amount is insufficient for you. Once again, you’re stuck. The only way to get more basal is to increase the dosage, which means you’re now getting too much fast acting insulin and must either eat more or risk hypoglycemia. Etc. etc. etc.

As you’ll discover, really good diabetes control is entirely doable, but it requires flexibility and an individually-tailored regimen. That’s awfully difficult to do with a preset mix.

End of editorial. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

As a noobie I think you may have hit the nail on the head - as nice as it would be to have a one size fits all the reality is that it may just not be possible… one weekend on insulin and I’ve realized it’s a juggling act…