Tips for getting started on a LC diet

Well, this past week has not been low carb, but now that I’ve eaten most of the high carb stuff in my apartment and have done some grocery shopping for low carb stuff, I’m ready to dive back in this week. Even though I struggled a lot with lows this past week, my average blood sugar was still significantly higher than it was the week where I just did partial low carb; further evidence that I really need to do this! (I also think it’s the only way I’m going to lose weight.)

I finally found some dairy-free, potato-free (most dairy-free ones contain potato) cream cheese I can eat and tried making these pancakes, which actually worked and were pretty good! Though they were a bit higher carb, since the dairy-free cream cheese is higher carb than regular cream cheese. I’m going to make more this afternoon and see if they will freeze.

I also found some plain coconut yogurt that is fairly low carb (I was eating plain almond yogurt but it has literally disappeared, I’ve been looking for it for months, so I think it may have been discontinued in Canada or something). I usually eat yogurt and fruit but am thinking yogurt and nuts might taste good. I bought some mixed nuts last week thinking that they would be a good snack, but stupidly did not read the ingredients and started having an allergic reaction as soon as I ate a few (reminder, again, to read ingredients on everything). Turns out they contain potato starch. (Add that to my list of things you would not expect to find potato in, along with deli meat, hamburgers, and chocolate.) I’ll have to get plain nuts and mix my own, I’m thinking.

Today, for the first time, I will try spaghetti squash noodles and cauliflower rice (which I’m hoping I can freeze) and maybe zucchini chips or noodles. If all works out, tonight I’m hoping to have spaghetti squash noodles with “cheese” sauce (made with cashews and nutritional yeast). I’m setting up a menu for Monday to Friday so that I won’t have to think much about what to prepare and can go get all my grocery shopping and as much preparation as possible done beforehand.

4 Likes