Love food and cooking? Introduce yourself here!

This group is for any diabetics who are into cooking, farming, diabetic recipes, organic and natural foods, or who just like eating really taste stuff.

Anybody watch the food channel and try to figure out how to make what they are making by substituting the ingrediants?? Some of the stuff looks SOOO good!
Gotta love Emeril BAM that “golic”

Hello! Does anyone know any natural/alternative ways to helping my Type II diabetes? My goal is to eventually not rely on my prescription medication as much and to use natural medicine/food/supplements. Thanks!

i’ll be soon here with some interesting new about spices and foof that can hel in managing BG! (only by scientific sources, for sure!)

Hi I’m don’t enjoy cooking, but I have been doing it all my life. I need to focus on improving my eating habits and find it difficult to find a proper balance of carbs + fat plus everything is loaded with salt. I would appreciate any help/support I can get from people who know about what food are best to eat for controlling BS Type 2
Thanks Gail L

It is possible to eat healthy without doing too much cooking. A light meal could be something quick that is thrown together such as light yogurt, a piece of fruit and a few walnuts. One of my favorite on the go breakfasts is a boiled egg (cook several up ahead of time), fruit, and a peanut butter foldover. Convenience foods are loaded with salt so try to stay away from them when possible. One thing that may help with cooking is to cook once and eat 2-3 times. Example- cook the entire bag of brown rice and freeze it in small portions. Just re-heat when you want some. Same for pasta. Cook several chicken breasts and freeze those as well to have on hand for salads, soups, casseroles, etc. When making a casserole or lasagna, make 2 and freeze the other. Pretty much anything can be frozen for a quick, no-cook meal. Good luck!
Susan Meeke MS, RD, LD, CDE
smeeke@fit4d.com

Does anyone have any suggestions for low-carb snacks that won’t spike sugar levels? I am getting bored with my current snacks of celery sticks and similar foods.

Take Care!
Yvonne C.

Thanks Susan for the suggestions. That’s a big help. I sat in on a webinar@fit4d the other night. Good group. Mind if you ask something? I tried looking it up on the internet but couldn’t find the answer. What do all the initials after your name mean. CDE - Certified Diabetic Educator, RD - Registered Dietitian but what are MS, RD?

To Yvonne C who asked about snacks, here are some that I like:

Trail mix (without chocolates), nuts, raisins and other dried fruits aren’t too bad, cheese (either string cheeses or cut up pieces of cheese), baby carrots, sugar-free cookies, sugar-free jellos, puddings, & yogurt, crackers with cheese or peanut butter (it’s not low-carb, but you can eat a limited number plus insulin and the cheese/peanut butter slows the digestion of the carbs so there’s less sugar “spike”).

I have learned to cook to help myself. It’s been very enjoyable and I get compliments on quality. Many recipes came from The Light and Tastey magazine and have become family favorites. It has helped me be more creative to make simple dishes of my own.
Snacks…yogurt with fresh blueberries or cottage cheese with strawberries or blueberries or even a few baby carrots with the cottage cheese…boiled egg…turkey or ham deli lunchmeat wraped on a string cheese with a little bit of red pepper hummus is a favorite.

Any good lentil recipes?

does anyone have a good cookie recipe?

Stacey, this is my favorite cookie recipe (the secret is lots of butter and some good sugar free syrup): click here. I use ground walnuts instead of almond flour because it’s cheaper. I just grind them in a food processor until they are fine.

Carol, here is a link to my favorite lentil recipe.

thank you kristin i will try them

Welcome to Tu diabetes ,thanks for joining our group.

Try celery or an apple silced with peanutbutter. I love carrots and ranch dressing. Okay, I slipped in the veggies but that does mean boring; get creative . Try a silce of roast beef rolled up with a silce of cheesein the center. (I avoid the bread) the extra protein at night helps me to be more stable through the night.

Hello all! I’m a newbie! I have a few questions maybe someone might know. Im a post transplant patient. I had a complete pancreatectomy with Islet transplant. For those who don’t know what that is. Basically, I had chronic pancreatitis for over 6yrs. My pancrease started to die for an unknown reason. The Drs waited too long to do the surgery in my opinion. The reason for surg was not just the dying panc. but to Prevent diabeties. Well, I had just enough Islet cells to officially be called a transplant. But my pancres was so hard “you could knock it on a table” my dr said. Now dealing with sugar is new to this self-proclaimed chocoholic! LOL! I bought a series of books by Tosca Reno called the clean Eating Diet. Which is really not a diet but way of life. It has really done a fantastic job the last few days to help my sugar levels. Has anyone else tried this? I used it right after surg. and lost a ton of weight I had put on due to steroids and the inability to do anything active. And worked for my sugar too. The have a magazine, cookbook, workout etc… I’ve tried the recipies and love alot of them. Opinions?

What is the best low carb bake mix out there? Wanting to make a pizza crust for relatives on Thursday. Thanks everyone!

Sorry Barbara I am of no help. I only know how to make a raw pizza crust.

Hi…I’m looking for a recipe for Banana bread or muffins, using Splenda. Does anyone have any good ones. Thanks

CHEF ROBERT’S SALMON SKEWERS OF LOVE
Salmon is truly a fish for all seasons. It can be prepared in so many tasty ways, and this is one of my favorites. Baked or grilled, the light marinade makes this dish unforgettable. It’s easy and quick to prepare, but your friends will think you cooked all day.What’s in it?
2 medium-size fresh salmon filets
2 Tbsp fresh garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp fresh basil
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 red pepper
2 green peppers
1 red onion
1 large Portobello mushroom
4 bamboo skewers

Let’s Put it Togather
Skin salmon and cut it into 1-inch pieces. Mix garlic, oil, basil and lemon juice in a bowl. Combine with salmon and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Place skewers in cold water for 10 minutes before building the skewers. (This will keep them from burning.)
Alternate peppers, onions, mushrooms, and salmon on skewers.

Place on a hot grill for 8 to 10 minutes, turning often, or place on a baking sheet in a 375-degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes.

Nutrition at a Glance (per serving)

Calories 226
Total fat 26.5g
Carbohydrate 9.31g
Protein 40

www.happydiabetic.com