1 Day of Infusion Set and then always higher

Hi All. Does anyone have a explanation or advice as to why I get great Blood Sugar readings after a new infusion set and then after 24 hours I get higher than normal ranges? Before 80-135 – after 24 hrs 180 to 225 for the next 3 days. My diet is consistent. My endo suggested taking a pump break. This is the last thing I want to do unless as I would be taking shots all day. I’m at a loss how to handle if scar tissue.

Thanks,
Michael

Which pump and which infusion sets? The steel needle infusion sets can be moved to new locations.

Has this always happened since start of pump? Or anything else changed?

780g… but can’t blame it as there is something else more sinister going on… This was not always the case. I have been a on pump management or over 15 years. Yes. I have used the sure t just never tried moving the same needle to a new location. When I mentioned that to medtronic they though I had two heads. Could be a idea… Just seems very strange to me.

Flynn: i wonder which infusion set you are using and the canula length? If you are using the 6mm you might try the 9mm. If you are using a quickset you might try the 13 mm or 17 mm Silhouette. If you have not tried the advanced mio they use 6mm or 9mm. I use both and really like them.

The steal canula that MM suggested is also a great option for many people. I have no used them but those who do swear by them.

Also think about alternative sites. i use a four site rotation abdominal R - abdominal L- Upper leg L - Upper Leg -R.

I like the leg the very best.

rick

Note: I am a Medtronic ambassador. My opinions are my own. They did not pay me to say nice things. OK, they sent me a shirt and a cup but even I am more expensive than that.

2 Likes

Obviously there is a greater risk of infection when you move an existing steel set to another new site. That said, I’m not surprised people would do this since people who used syringes commonly reused them at least once or twice. It’s not a new idea.

But while I reused syringes, I’m more hesitant to move a steel set. Probably that stems from actually dealing with an infected infusion site (not from a steel set) years ago. That infection was bad enough to leave a lasting negative impression.

Everyone has to make their assessment of the risk involved. Keep in mind that human beings are generally terrible at risk assessment. :man_shrugging:

Thanks - Rick. I have used all of the infustion sets although it has been a while. Currenyl trying sure t and not too long after the silhoutte… Need to go back and look. I have not used my arms ever except or shots… The idea of having a pump there is not ideal.

What kind of insulin do you use?

Novalog. Humalog last year

1 Like

@Flynn_Simon,
The reason I asked is because when I used Humalog, my pump did not last as long as when I used NovoLog.

There is insulin deterioration, but there is also the site degradation.

With any pump, the weakest link is going to be the fact that you are continuously injecting insulin into the same spot.

With injections we are taught to rotate daily. Imagine if they told you to inject with a syringe in the same exact place for 3 days!

It might be useful to see if you can get an increase in your insurance coverage for infusion sets, and just try to swap out more frequently.

I agree with the suggestion that you try changing your infusion set more often. My endo wrote my Rx for pump supplies to have me change every two days. Medicare Part B - quite reluctantly - is paying for the extra stuff.

I’ve just finished a fairly long trial (20 vials) using Lyumjev insulin. While it gave me lower BGs most of the time, and really quick action, I have (very reluctantly) decided to pick Humalog as my regular insulin, because of two Lyumjev problems: site pain (minor discomfort only) after two days’ use of a cartridge, and a fairly major loss of effectiveness after two days. At first, I thought the latter problem was just an extension of the t:slim “last 50U” issue, but after all those vials, it was always the last 100U that was pretty doggone ineffective. I concluded that both the site pain and the loss of effectiveness were caused by my body’s not liking Lyumjev over more than 2 days. So, back to other insulins. I have three more vials of Novolog and 10 vials of Fiasp to use before I go back full-time on Humalog. While I don’t have the same two problems with any of Humalog, Novolog, or Fiasp as I do with Lyumjev, I do have to change the Fiasp every two days. Three days with either of the ‘logs gives me no problems.

Check your tubing for air pockets. I have been having the same problem with 2nd day higher readings and finally realized that the seal in the reservoir is developing large air bubbles that will turn into 2 inch air pockets in my tubing. I have no air bubbles when I fill my reservoirs or during the first day of a set. I have been in contact with the helpline, tried different reservoir lots, nothing is helping. I now watch my tubing when I bolus for meals and eventually manually bolus the air pocket out of the tubing. I have been on a pump for 20 years and this started happening in the last 5 months but took me 4 months to discover because I thought it was site absorbency issues.
Just an idea to check. Good luck.

Wow. I assume you can see the tubing foe these pockets? Never seen a 2 in air pocket.

I’ve been T1 for 36 years, and despite advice from my diabetic team have always reused needles (pen needles only got changed 1 x day) - never had an infection. Since switching to a pump, I have had to move my tru-steel insertion point 3 times, presumably due to scar tissue, though my first symptom of a problem was ‘stabs’ of pain at the insertion site, followed by insulin boluses that did not work very well. Changing sites fixed everything. Of course always very careful to swab old and new sites. I am on Tru-steel because with auto-soft and varisoft, the cannula would often slip out.

There is a better way to hold down sets.
I put down an iv3000 or a tagederm and then poke through it with my insertion needle. Then stick it on top of the tape.

You get a set that will last longer and won’t pull out.
The extra base give is much more stability.

After about 3 days of using the side of my hip I lose absorption. It happens so fast It’s like flipping a switch to off tho. Use to happen in my arm, but I only use my arm for sensors now.

Happens to me too except sometimes it’s 2 days.