2 new eating disorders!

I don’t disagree that Bernstein works however I feel like AcidRock works too. A lot of what I think I do is my “policy” of eating pretty much the same every day, if not Bernsteinian, it’s still fairly tight, 1x 12G (storebought soft wheat bread…) w/ peanut butter @ lunch is about it. And a few pretzels (2-3 twists) if I need carbs in between meals. While it helps keep my #s relatively flat, it also provides a flat “terrain” for benchmarking the numbers, rates/ ratios/ sensitivity/ etc. to know how to run things when the chips (donuts, bread, noodles, rice, potatoes, etc.) are down. I don’t want to mess people up by pretending it’s easy. I don’t think it’s any easier to test 4x/ day and play “GlucoSlots” every time you test, just a different challenge.

I agree with the competitive spirit, I have some of that in me, although I’m certainly no marathon runner. Check out Helmuts recent post about An A1C in the 4s he treats the interaction if his CGM and pump as a video game, and by any measure he’s winning. Interestingly he is not low carbing.

I agree in not wanting to be a pain to my hosts because of my diet. Although I have discussed my diet with those who ask I’ve found no one can keep it straight, and why should they after all. I always carry nuts and perhaps some jerky in the car for this type of emergency. In your mac and cheese with salad example I’d eat the salad, skip the mac and substitute my nuts. Most important I never make a big deal out of it. I’ve found most respect you for taking your condition seriously, and if anyone is interested I explain why grain is bad for me. For you some extra insulin can get you through the situation gracefully.

I think one thing that’s different than vegan, vegetarian etc. is that in those cases there is sometimes a veiled inference that the person with the special diet is eating “right” and the others are not. For those of us with a damaged metabolism we’re just dealing with the cards we’ve been dealt.

I have never tried almond or coconut milk, but I may just get brave and give them a try. If I don’t like them, I can always go back to half and half, and get polyphenols some other way! :slight_smile:

If you are morbidly obese, it’s DEFINITELY because there is something wrong with your metabolism, and the researchers have yet to learn all the ins and outs of what’s going on. I really wish the public and media would catch on to this, and quit the blame and shame game. (Hot button issue for me – I’m sure you already know this). Keep on doing your best, and handling the tough times as best as you can – YOU know you’re OK, even if they don’t.

Maybe your kitties would like it, if you don’t:) Almond milk is closer to the consistency of whole cow’s milk. There’s also hemp milk. Haven’t tried that. Rice milk has more carbs than other milk alternatives & has the consistency of skim milk.

About hemp milk. It has a distinct, rather heavy taste. I don’t think it would be good in tea.

llikes the idea of Hemp milk!

You would!!! :slight_smile:

I think you should reconsider the definition of orthorexia. It's an UNHEALTHY obsession with "healthy" eating.

That is an oxymoron LOL.

As a person who studied eating disorders in college for my psych degree, I hate that Orthorexia thing. I think it is totally ridiculous and I think it is just a way to find ways of making more money off of people by trying to convince them they have a disorder.

We are being punished for wanting to eat healthy - what a load of BS!

As diabetics, we “restrict” - sort of like anorexics do - does that mean we have an eating disorder? NO! Eating disorders (true eating disorders) normally stem from childhood and often come about through something really totally unrelated to food but manifests itself in that way.

Same on the psychologists out there for doing this! They should be labeling junk food addiction as an eating disorder - not healthy eating.

I should add that I am a vegan myself and I do so as an ethical choice not because I am trying to torture myself - I have also tried the raw diet - that doesn’t mean restricting - Some raw foodist eat a ton of food. It is when you don’t eat anything or throw it up, is when you have an eating disorder - NOT the diet you have choosen. Plenty of vegan pig out ALL the time - no eating disorders with any of my vegan friends.

Well, I don’t think veganism would qualify as orthorexia, because vegans can and do eat a variety of foods – fruits, vegetables, legumes, grains. etc. Plus a conscientious vegan keeps track of B-12 levels. But someone like my acquaintance who decided to become a “fruitarian” in the mistaken belief that humans were meant to eat only fruit, and got very sick because of it would qualify as orthorexic. Or as someone else mentioned, there was a woman who was told to eat only yellow foods, which limited her diet immensely.

I think orthorexia is an UNHEALTHY obsession on limitation of food based on mistaken ideas. Obviously, diabetics who limit carbs, for example, are not pursuing an unhealthy diet. Nor are vegans. The definition is paramount! :slight_smile:

Good point Natalie but I guess my point is that at least those people (fruitarians whatever) are eating. I have actually met some fruitarians in the past and although the diet isn’t for everyone, they weren’t sick. They actually said they felt pretty good. They eat ALOT of fruit (which including avocadoes and coconut which has all that fat) - they are not starving themselves. I guess the way I view it is that - if you feel good and are getting what YOU personally need for your body - what difference does it make WHAT we eat or do not eat? As long as the fruitarian isn’t sick and feel healthy - what does it matter?

The only eating yellow foods is a bit ridiculous because I see no viable health reason to do this but as along as the person does well on the diet what does it matter.

As we diabetics know, a carb is a carb is a carb - and sugar is sugar - no matter what sort it is - cane sugar, fruit juice whatever. We know all too well that the our bodies can’t tell the difference between between the “good” carbs and the “bad” carbs - each of us may have different responses to them but this will be the same with a person who chooses to adopt a fruitarian diet or a raw food diet. I didn’t feel all that great on a raw food diet because I didn’t eat enough greens and I don’t care for them unless they are cooked. Fruit I liked though. I wish I could live off of pineapples and bananas but obviously because of D I can’t.

I personally belief that fruit is the most natural perfect food for the human body and lifestyle -( it is ready to eat, you pick it off the tree and bit into it, you eat the whole thing or the peel get composted - no waste) - well NOT mine anymore but maybe you get what I am saying. :slight_smile:

I also personally belief that humans were probably meant to live on beach type tropical islands and hence they would probably live off alot of tropical fruits and maybe seaweeds from the ocean and fish - this is why I don’t see anything wrong with a person having a diet like that - I wish I could do ti myself.

I’ve actually met a person who I would describe as orthorexic. I watched as she sat at a dinner table in Ireland, picking out grains of white rice from her “healthy” organic brown and wild rice. She was extremely anxious about everything and anything she ate, inspecting labels on all her food, refusing all processed foods, eating only those foods which she deemed “good” – only foods that were organic, whole grain, no preservatives, no dyes, etc. She even refused to eat any of the chicken in the rice dish we prepared because we could not guarantee the chicken was not free range and had not been fed a diet of steroids, growth hormones, and processed chicken parts (kinda like the cows that got mad cow disease 10 years ago – they were fed processed cow parts, believe it or not!). It interfered with her life and her family’s lives. Here we were in Ireland while she competed in a karate tournament and her family had to run out to buy her special food just for her, or else she simply would not eat.

Like the article says, the orthorexic isn’t concerned with calories; she or he is mainly concerned with eating foods she or he believes are healthy. This girl would eat the calories; she was obsessive about what she was putting into her body. Because it interfered with her life and the obsession with “healthy” caused her a great deal of anxiety, it could be deemed a mental health issue. Is it a mental health issue? Well, she otherwise functioned quite well. In fact, she earned a couple of gold medals for her karate, and when I knew her, she was being considered for the US Olympic swim team. I’d personally say that if the obsession with “healthy” foods is so intense that it causes you to miss out on other parts of life (e.g. you refuse to go with your boss to a luncheon because you fear transfats in restaurant food), then I’d be tempted to say there’s a problem.

As someone who used to teach psychology to undergrads (B.S. in psych & Psi Chi member 1989; M.A. psych 1992), I have also had reservations about adding yet another disorder to the blessed old DSM. However, when I met a young lady who was obsessed with “pure” and “healthy” foods, I believe there is some validity to the disorder, and that it is a modern variation of the “worried well” Freud once discussed. The issue with orthorexia isn’t really about eating to stay healthy; it’s an anxiety and obsession over what could be termed “dishealth” or “unhealth”. See my reply to Acid for details on the teen I met a few years ago.

I’ve read some sort of science reports saying that kids are more likely to be fussy eating because they have more taste buds as adults do. So they are more sensitive to bitter and sweet. However, working redbuds on kids will reduce as they grows old. So they will become less picky eating when grow older.

The whole subject of eating is especially frustrating for me. Besides eating very low carb for bg control, I’m allergic to all dairy products, raw eggs (as in mayonnaise) and tomatoes. It has gotten to be difficult and depressing to think of variety and appealing foods/meals. I basically have to make everything from scratch. Suggestions are welcome. :neutral_face:

There are a number of cooked salad dressings if you google it. This may suit you, I think I would reduce the sugar content, but otherwise it is fairly easy:

Salad dressing:
egg
3 tbs sugar
3 tbs white vinegar
3 tbs water
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp butter

Method

STEP 1 Beat together egg and sugar
STEP 2 Add vinegar, water, mustard and butter
STEP 3 Cook until boiling.

Notes

This is one of my very favourite old recipe’s for a salad dressing. Try it I am sure you will love it.

This salad dressing will jazz up several dishes, vegetables and eggs especially.

Thank you! Only problem is the egg. I buy a vegan Mayo that doesn’t have any “bad stuff” in it :slightly_smiling_face: with that I’ve made a decent Caesar. Drsg that is made with the fake Mayo, fake parmesan, anchovy paste, etc. I am trying to get more interested in salads and this drsg helps. I appreciate all ideas!

I thought raw egg was the problem. However there is another salad dressing I make sometimes, this one is paleo, dairy free, vegan and you can find it here:
http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/creamy-avocado-dressing-paleo-dairy-free-vegan/
Enjoy!

Thank you! I’ll look into these recipes. BTW, most store bought Mayo has raw pasteurized egg yolk. The allergens are still there. I buy Best Foods vegan Mayo. Works pretty good and no egg at all :+1: