5.0 A1c to 4.4 A1c with neuropathy getting worse

I went to the doctors today for a follow up visit for some blood work and my a1c changed from a 5.0 to a 4.4 and my doctor is getting on to me. my doctor did not answer my questions so I will ask them on here. As you well know I have diabetic neuropathy for the last 6 years with the last 1-1/2 years having a 5.0 aic. I have read a lot about keeping the blood sugar level under 100 in attempt to stop the progression of the diabetic neuropathy getting worse. please let me know, thank you

Does low blood sugar below 70 cause neuropathy to get worse when not exceeding 100

can low blood sugar deprive(starv) oxygen not to get into the nerve cells causing the neuropathy to get worse

what should my blood sugar level goals be to where my neuropathy will not get worse if this low blood sugar is the problem

Hi cdredbaron,

I don't have answers for your questions, but others will.

I just wanted to congratulate you on all your efforts to educate yourself about diabetes and to take the best care possible of yourself!

Best wishes,

Marty1492

If you’ve been maintaining bg levels like those, I would have to think that your nueropathy is probably non diabetic, or is a symptom of other problems. Our blood sugar goals should be the same as everyone else’s, to mimic those of a non diabetic eating a healthy diet. If you aren’t getting bg readings over 100, your blood glucose profile is probably more “normal” than the vast majority of non diabetics— Was your bg totally out of control for the first few years? Or have you always practiced superb control?

yes i have had neuropathy for over 6 years. i found out that i had neuropathy from burning feet then went to the doctor and found out i had diabetes so roughly for 4.5 years until i got it down to a 5.0 a1c been control for 1.5 years. i quit drinking 3 years ago and smoking cigs 10 months ago. so i am thinking it may take a while to reverse it or it may be too late