504 Plans and Children on Injections

Thanks so much for this info! I’ll be copying and pasting it into what I’ve already got outlined for David and our goals for control while he’s in school! I’m starting to relax a little more about things and feel prepared for when I meet with his principal.

AWESOME!

Hi Maddy,

Thanks for this, I’ll contact your mom with any questions I have along the way. I appreciate the referral!

Adrienne

I was diagnosed a T1 in 1955 when I was 4. Obviously there were no plans, laws or anything else to help. My mother packed my lunch, put a roll of lifesavors in my pocket and sent me off. The teachers were informed and other than a few parents who though there kids could catch diabetes from me I don’t remember many problems. On days when there was a birthday party and soda and cupcakes were being served my mom “snuck” into the classroom and filled a box/bottle of whatever they were drinking with diet something and left a fruit snack or a mini angel food cupcake for me. I actually felt special. If I were sending a kid to school at that age the pump I would want them to be on would be an OmniPod. so easy to use and so easy to train others to use.I would try and get my plan written so that I could test in the classroom. At least on a OmniPod, the Bolus/Correction is then calculated for you. Kids will find the PDM cool and they can also color the Pods. And in the event one fails even an almost untrained person can put a new one on in just a couple of minutes.Kids were actually curious and helpful. I would run BD’s a little on the high side so as to not have many lows. I would ask the teacher if I could talk to the class and explain the situation in simple terms. It’s amazing how supportive kids can be when informed and not acting out of ignorance. I would tell them my son sometimes needs help and who would like to be the chosen ones to help him.

I am sorry you are having a hard time. For now, I would go with a pen and then provide the lunch and snack, etc with the carb counts on each item. If they are willing to help add up the carb counts then your son can do the pen himself. You could put for example if his I/C ratio is 1:15 then 30 carbs=2 clicks. You can get different length pen needles to go on the end of the pen so that should help. Also there is the Novopen Jr. which doses in half units as well. You can demand a 504 for your son and you can contact 1-800-Diabetes and let them know about the situation with your son. They will send out a discrimination packet for you to fill out and should be able to get you a diabetes advocate to work for you and your son and help you with accommodations.
As to insurance I wish you the best, unfortunately Idaho is one of four states that does not require insurance companies to cover diabetes supplies. And remember to check for coverage not only under prescription but under DME or Durable Medical Equipment as well, since prescriptions may not cover Diabetes supplies, etc but they might be covered under DME.
I do wish you the best in getting your son’s needs met. My nephew started a year late and it worked out fine with regard to him making friends for him making friends. It was done this way on purpose as his birtdate was just before the deadlien and his mom felt and I agreed it would give him more time to mature. Your son will do fine. I know this is scary, but things will be fine.