80 year typ1 inspiring

I read this story. 80 years with type 1.
His story is awesome because he wasn’t a perfect model diabetic always.

Like the rest of us.
I was diagnosed At 21 so I’ll need to live to 101 to get in this club.

It’s pretty inspiring

3 Likes

I’m with ya brother… I’m gonna have to make 106 :smiley:

Thanks for posting. Positivity rocks! Don’t be a victim…own your T1 and LIVE!

Loved the article! And wow, I hope my parent’s didn’t do that to any of my dates! I have never asked my husband if they had a “talk” with him when we first started dating and when we moved across the country together. But I will be asking him when I get home tonight!
And it is refreshing to know, even when we did dumb, stupid things as a youngster, when all came around to realize we were hurting no one but ourselves. It took me a long while to get there, but have realized this disease is a person only driven disease. It is what you are willing to do. But as with all things dealing with diabetes, it doesn’t always play fair. You could be the perfect patient and have problems. You could be someone who follows no norms and have no problems. It is not fair! But as this story points out, you do the best you can and enjoy life to the fullest!

There is a book related to this, not sure if Tom is included.

“50 Secrets of the Longest Living People With Diabetes”

I will be watching an online presentation today from the Joslin Diabetes Center. During the program medals will be awarded to several people who have lived with type 1 for 75, 80 and 85 years. I have lived with type 1 for 76 years, and I have good diabetes health. I am going to try for 100 years as a type 1 diabetic. I would be 106 years old at that time in the year 2045.

7 Likes

That’s an awesome goal Richard!! Amazing how far we have come in the last 100 years. From a death sentence to being able to thrive for decades.

I just had my 40th anniversary and looking forward to many years.

1 Like