The longest type 1 diabetic

I often draw inspiration from the length of diabetes in a person. A few years back I remember seeing a pamphlet about a man with the longest tenure of diabetes at my diabetes clinic. I should have stolen it, but I didn’t and I’m wondering if anybody knows who this man is/was. It would be really awesome to have a hardcopy of such a person. Also, any articles on diabetes longevity would be appreciated.

Don’t think by any means I’m the longset with Type 1 but I’ve had it now for 37 years. A few years ago I was in a pump class with a woman who had had Type 1 for 90 years out of her 95 years here on earth and she was doing better than me!

That’s amazing. Do you know if there was anything written about her?

No I don’t think there was but she said to me that she always had a garden and always ate from it and that was what made her so healthy when I ask her.

I remember in one of the diabetes magazines I subscribed to in 2003 had an article on this. It was a man that got type1as a young child right when they discovered insulin and he was one of the first people to get insulin. The mag did mention he was the person who had diabetes the longest. And he was alive and healthy in 2003. I cant remember his name.
What a great topic idea. I thought of asking Tudiabetes people about this particular man if anyone knew about him or knew if he was still healthy.

Glady Lester

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/browse/columns/after-all-these-years/

I must have read about Bob Cleveland and the article must have been about longest “man”. It’s funny they say Gladys beat him by less than a year.

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/information//resources/dlife_bookshel…

Now that is some inspiration!!!

I had the GREAT priviledge to meet Dr. Gorman , October 2009 at the Canadian Diabetes Association Award Dinner , Montreal , Canada .

Dr. Gorman’s picture is on the CDA’s website " Volunteers , who are setting milestones, Dec 03 , 2009 " .

2009 Charles H. Best award winner - Dr. Charles Kenneth Gorman
Dr. Charles Gorman was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age two. After completing his degree in medicine at the Queen’s University of Belfast he met Dr. Charles Best. He then applied for a position in the Charles H. Best Institute in Toronto and was accepted. A long-time professional member of the Canadian Diabetes Association, Dr. Gorman served as chair of the National Nutrition Committee and, in 1978, as president of the Association for two years. In 2010, he will be eligible for the 75-year medal from the Joslin Clinic Foundation in Boston to commemorate his lifelong dedication to diabetes management.

Me too. Read Beating the Odds by Richard Vaughn. He talks about many people who have lived with D for a long time, including himself.

Danny - My great grandma was diagnosed with T2 diabetes at 47 and lived till 93… That’s gotta be up on the list. She was still thin and active into her 90s as well.

Hope, to add to your comment : Richard157 is one of our Tu members/writers …a plug for Dear Richard : his book is available on Amazon !

This is my 50th year with type 1 diabetes.

Danny, great idea to post your question on the Type 2 forum.

Our own Clarence Haynes http://www.tudiabetes.org/profile/clarencehaynes is 93 years young. He’s a T2 since 1977.

I have had the oppotunity to have lunch with Richard last year. He has me beat by a few years. I believe he is in his 64th or 65th year with T1. I’ve had T1 since the age of 3 in 1958.

Given average life expectancies rates (from birth) living past 90 for anyone is pretty awesome!

You’re amazing.

I agree. Putting together historical archives of both diseases would be really awesome.

Thanks, Mikey.