A Day in the Life

Mrs. Otter is such a trooper. Dental work done on Friday (tooth extraction and crown work), a rest day for Saturday and a 6 mile hike with a weighted pack (20# for mine 10# for hers) and then she felt crappy the rest of the day. We’ve got to learn pacing I guess.

Went to endocrinologist and gained 5 pounds in the last 4 months. Wonderful….(that is sarcasm…)

Now Friday was a very crappy day. I packed my lunch and left my insulin at home! Yay me!

I did not realize it until I had stopped to eat my lunch and checked my sugar which was at 215. Went to get my insulin to correct and eat my lunch because I was sooo hungry, starving really and saw that my insulin was nowhere to be found and there was no way I could go home to get it!

Ugh.

So I didn’t eat until 5:24 when I was leaving my last stop and checked my blood sugar and finally was 46 so I could eat something (a Cliff Bar.)

I got home at 6pm and was 182 when I ate supper. A little higher than I wanted but it was ok since I cannot recall the last time I had a day with NO insulin. I think the last time was back when I was on a pump and the pump ran out just before we ordered dinner. That was a fun night too. I got back to insulin in a couple hours so it wasn’t that bad.

I consider Friday good practice for not panicking and staying calm until I could get back home. I didn’t let it ruin my day. I made it through ok and I’m on the other side and all is well again.

Went hiking with 27 pounds on my back. We went a little over 6 miles. Wow! I got quite the workout today. Plus the raking and mowing of the yard.

For those who are curious my blood sugar log went like this:

5:53am (I slept way late!) 116 I took 28units lantus and 5 units for a 75 carb breakfast plus 2 extra units because I always spike 2 hours after I get up.

7:35am 179 (See the spike? Without this correction from above I would be close to 300. A fasting baseline is important to track these patterns that we all have.)

9am 126
10:25am lunch 33 Lunch was a 40g. of carbs sandwich with another 20g. carb of fruit.

11:41am 150 this was at the start of my hike. I ate a smores luna bar 27g. carb.

12:35pm 112 ate ½ a Cliff bar for 20g. carb.
1:36pm 111 ate the other ½ of the Cliff bar for another 20g. carb.
2:07pm 109 at the finish!
2.53pm 118 at Dunkin Donuts for a Decaf Almond Something iced coffee!

3:42pm 129 Don’t judge me but we had a early supper.
5:47pm 145
8:39pm 135 This is after raking and mowing.

This is what I would call a good day Tater.