A planned "wild and crazy weekend" just got wilder and crazier!

this is long ; received this when I started to pump , just in case things go /went " wild and crazy " …so bear with me ; hope " it" is useful …maybe copy and paste ??

Temp. removal guidelines : as in pump malfunction and replacement not available …( me talking : you know most /all of this , and you will modify your routine , no doubt !! )

When you are off the pump , stick as close to your " basal/bolus" routine as possible . Check BG more often , including during the night , to assess how this is working .

Daytime

If you will be off the pump for less than 24 hours during the day , you need to take rapid -acting insulin every 3 hours . Combine : 3 hours basal insulin ; your meal bolus if you eat, and your correction bolus , if needed .

Example : At 8.00 am BS is 14.8 ( x 18 ) you eat 45 grams of carbs . Your insulin /carb ratio is 1 unit /15 grams , insulin sensitivity factor is 3 and the basal rate from 8.00 am to 11.00 am is 0.5 u/hour .

… 3 hours of basal insulin is 0.5 x 3 =1.5 u

…food bolus is 45 g divided by 15 = 3 u

…correction bolus, is 15-6 divided by 3 = 3 u ( personally I would get my numbers down FIRST …you too , I think before adding food to bod

This totals 4.5 u ( 1.5 + 3 + 3 ) so the insulin dose at 8. 00 am to 11.00 is 4.5 u of rapid -acting insulin by pen or

syringe .Another dose is needed in about 3 hours .

Overnight

There are 2 options for being off the pump overnight :

1. If long -acting insulin is not available , continue to take rapid acting insulin every 3 hours overnight , as in the previous " day time " example

2 . Take Lantus insulin once a day …( when I received this Levimir was unavailable to Canadians)

Use lantus only if you will be off the pump more than 24 hours . Calculate the total daily basal amount of insulin and take as one dose of Lantus at bedtime or in the morning and then every 24 hours ( I have read to split dose ) During the day , take rapid -acting before your meals to cover the carb and correction .

When you are ready to go back on the pump , you should not have your pump deliver basal insulin until 24 hours after the last Lantus dose . If you want to wear your pump earlier , use the pump for your food and correction bolusses , but a temp basal rate of 0.0 u/hour until 24 hours after the last dose of Lantus .

OR

Take NPH insulin at bed time

Add up the basal amount of insulin during sleep and give 1.5 times this dose as NPH . During the day , follow the " daytime " example as described earlier .

Example # 1 : Hours of sleep are 10 pm to 6 am . Basal rate during this time is 1.0 u/hr

1 u /hr x 8 hours = 8 u x 1.5 =12 u .The dose of NPH is 12 u at bedtime

Example # 2 : Hours of sleep are 9 pm - 7 am . Basal rates during this time are : 0.6 u/hr from 9 pm to midnight , 0.5 u/hr from midnight to 3 am , and 0.7 u/hr from 3 am to 7 am

Calculate : 0.6 u/hr x 3 hours = 1.8 u

0.5 u/hr x 3 hours = 1.5 u

0.7 u/hr x 4 hours = 2.8 u

T otal = 9.1 u The dose is 9 u of NPH at bedtime

Be well acidrock!!

Man, tough. Bad luck on a long weekend. We have an insulin surplus of Novolog and Lantus, going to ask that the Lantus be rx’d when it expires. We have printouts from D classes to how manage when pump fails, but never reviewed it. I’m sure I’d be very frazzled too. Though not as bad as if Nate was going through an extreme low, doing everything we can to avoid that, thank you CGM. Speaking of, since we started the CGM, 3 months? ago we went more that 24hrs without it (between starting new), it was hard not having an idea of where he was or going. Each BG check was like a crap shoot, but we did pretty good. We also had to deal with a dislodged cannula that he felt but thought it was OK, the cgm got wacky when his BG got up to 300. ??? for several hours til we yanked it. Riding smooth now. Hope your weekend smooths out too, and you can enjoy it.

Wow!! Thanks for that “manual”! That is awesome!! Unfortunately I didn’t “refresh” Tu before I went to bed. I just pulled 12U of N out of my wazoo and woke up @ 69 so I must have been close?

bahahaha this is great!! what a nightmare though, I would be flippin out!

Wow what a great way to kick off the holiday weekend! Maybe you could eat shocktarts, or sour patch kids, oh oh or skittles lol leave it to the pregnant woman to name all the candies she has been craving. Hope you get your new pump ASAP that sux!!! Best of luck this weekend!

Wow…could diabetes be any more complicated!? This is awesome though and I will save this info for the day I go on the pump, hopefully I will never have to use it but hey you never know, thanks for sharin!

acidrock : …You Rock !!
PS I always learn new words, when I read your comments …this time it’s : " wazoo" , ha, ha
LiL MaMa : I probably should copy and paste as well and " store it somewhere "; I have used it before on TuD …still typing with 2 fingers and slow :frowning:

AR23 – thinking about you, dude. I hope the wild and crazy MDI holiday weekend is going well.

Still have my fingers and toes crossed.

“IT’S ALIVE”!! I got the UPS tracking email pretty late last night and it said “Wednesday”, rather than “Tuesday” which was of some concern since I’d like to let my boss know which one of those dates I’ll be late? He’s laid back and will likely say “I hope you’re ok” along with “it’s ok whenever you come, just stay well”. So I refreshed it all day and it just changed the UPS status from “will be picked up” to “picked up” so…it’s in the mail, right? I can’t tell for sure but I’m more optimistic.

So…while doing this, I stick the battery back in the pump and get a different, “A21” error message and, after reprogramming the date, it appears to be good to go? Hmmm…

Hmmm, “ACT” button appears inoperable. Perhaps it’s still fried? It seems upset the sensor ended and no one sent Medtronics another $40?

Another day of manual delivery ?? …darn those Holidays : Independence Day , Canada Day …nobody works but retirees with diabetes :slight_smile: …wish I could help you !!!

It’s in the mail. You should be able to see what city it’s arrived in, and left, as it travels. Hope it changes back to Tuesday! Maybe it’ll hop a jet instead of a cargo plane.

Ah, apparently Medtronics rep > UPS online info as it’s now “out for delivery” as scheduled! whew. N appears to be moving to DP, 126 when I woke up, took 1U to “correct” (I can’t find my syringes that do < 1U) and 139 after I got out of the shower. I think I gained about 10 lbs over the weekend so it’s convenient to be avoiding some carbs anyway!!

Dude! I am so sorry this happened! Glad your pump is on time.

Come on over, I have plenty of those syringes :wink:

LOL, I have like 5000 in a giant plastic tub in my garage from years of filling rx’s intermittently and using like 20 syringes/ year! My friend/ martial arts instructor had Type G and gave me some really small ones, w/ 1/2 U increments but I wasn’t able to track them down. I know they are around here somewhere…All the kind of stuff like Lantus that would have been clever to have had rx’s for before it hit the fan?

Must remember to refill levemir pens when they expire. Thanks for the reminder!

Did it come yet?

Yup, 45 minutes early so I loaded it up and dashed off to work, waiting for the first sensor calibration…

That’s a relief!