Abbott FreeStyle® Libre Approved for Sale - Sensor Based Glucose Meter

Abbott needs to re-commit to the regulatory hurdles in the US and mass produce their sensors. We just might end up with a cheaper alternative to Dexcom.

Very interesting and some steps forward!

There's always www.amazon.co.uk I've often ordered items from Europe this way that are not available or approved in the US.

Yes I agree Terry, but if it would mean doing even less finger sticks I would definitely use this in addition to dex.

vs Dexcom, it appears more financially feasible to use on part-time basis with no ongoing replacement transmitter cost. After buying the reader device, sensors can be purchased in small amounts at no penalty to degrading transmitter battery life. The 14 day life of sensors vs Dexcom 10 would also cut down costs.

And down the road maybe the reader can be replaced by an NFC-capable smartphone with a Libre app. I pull out my phone so many times a day that I could conveniently swipe it over the sensor for readings whenever checking messages!

Great point. This allows the bodyware to be cheaper and smaller. And being entirely disposable can open the door to coverage under pharmacy vs DME.

Re: continuous monitoring

Keep in mind everyone that this device offers the enormous step forward of continuous data acquisition -- something that isn't possible with current fingerstick meters.

Same as a CGM -- you can capture a continuous record of BG readings every 5 minutes or so -- it's just that it's a "store and retrieve" system rather than a continuous monitor.

While this system will not help nearly as much as a CGM for people that need to catch hypos, it's an enormous step forward in treatment overall because of what the continuous data can tell us.

That, and the convenience of measuring BG are the two big wins with this.

Ane they're huge, in my opinion.

Here is a short video. All I can say is "WOW!" (assuming it has correct readings)

with the dex isn't there lag time with the blood sugar readings? Wouldn't this new system be real time?

Surely would be far cheaper than CGM. I would love to try this out.... if it comes here and is affordable enough.

I like abbott products. Their meters are among the most accurate... but they are also on the more expensive side compared to some other suppliers.

I have used the Freestyle lite for years and no issues, (crossing fingers this arrives soon)

Ok, so we’ve already waited since April '13 for the Vibe to get approved here in the U.S. Is there anything illegal for me to have someone purchase one for me and ship it to me in the U.S.? Or can I buy one if I am in Europe and bring it back?

I don't think it is specifically "illegal" to purchase any legally sold product in Europe for personal use. However, you are going to run into two major problems here in the States:
1. The BG readings/results that you obtain will be in the European standard of mmol/L instead of the mg/dL that we are accustomed to here in the States.
2. The lack of technical support for the product here in the States and the availability of purchasing replacement consumables. The Libre skin patches only have a lifespan of 14 days and need to be replaced every two weeks. Even if you stock up on a supply (bearing in mind that they have expiration dates), sooner or later you're going to run out and need to purchase additional patches. If the Libre does get FDA approval by that time, there is no guarantee that the ones sold for use in the States will be compatible or interchangeable with the ones sold for the European market.

Are you willing to take that risk?

Anyone buy/try one yet?

Yes, and it’s the best! I got my niece to buy it in England and ship to me. They can’t keep them on the shelves in Europe. Unlike Medtronic CGM, the sensor is easy and quick to insert and remove. MUCH more accurate than Medtronic. (Not to mention much cheaper.)
With the Medtronic and Dex alarms, we got no sleep, regardless of fine tuning the settings.
I’m told that replacement sensors can be purchased on eBay.
I still do 8-10 fingersticks daily; avoiding those was not my goal; just warning of daytime lows.