Air bubbles in tubing

I'm not sure how to go about this but I have a question that concerns an ongoing problem I have with quite long bubbles in my pumps tubing. I have talked to my diabetes educator, Medtronic and my endo. but no one seems to know what I can do about this. Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. Let me also say that I am not new at the pump and when I first change my sites there are absolutely NO bubbles in the line at that time. I also have tried leaving the insulin out of the refrig for 45 minutes and still have the problem. It also seems like when the insulin supply is getting on the low side (40 units or less)the pump has a problem pumping insulin through the cannula. Again has anyone else noticed this??

Bubbles, I have only been pumping with a 723 for 6 weeks now, but have noticed what I thought was an air bubble, but turned out to be discoloration from dropping my pump to the end of the tubing, and stretching it! The actual air bubbles I have discovered have been from my insulin not being at room temp..

I have also found quite a bit of bubble info. at:
http://www.insulinpumpforums.com//index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=7164efd97986722862a5a4d4e955abb1&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=air+bubbles

I have not had a problem with the cannula at low resv.levels, yet!

Bob

Hi bubbles. There are a lot of folks on TuD who read the forum more often than blogs. I'd suggest you ask a similar question on the main forum; I bet you'd get more answers. I think that there have been a lot of discussions on bubbles in the forum, so you might try researching it there as well. Good luck!

Hello again, Bubbles.

Here's another forum site here that deals with your problem.

https://forum.tudiabetes.org/topics/issues-with-medtronic-minimed-723?groupUrl=minimedparadigmusers&groupId=583967%3AGroup%3A145829&id=583967%3ATopic%3A2640199&page=3#comments

Bob

Hi Bubbles, I see what at first I thought was air bubbles in the tubing too. The 1st time I saw them I marked one with a piece of tape, and let it go over night. In the morning I looked, and I used 3 - 4 units basel, and a couple more for breakfast, but the bubble didn't move as I was expecting. This yesterday after reading this, and knowing I needed to change sites, I cut the old tubing where I saw the bubble and pushed what was left in the reservoir thru, and I saw insulin right away. So now I think maybe discoloration, and am worried about something else... is it a chemical reaction between the plastic in the tubing and the insulin, that might be putting unwanted stuff in our bodies, or maybe just something sticking to the tubing (no reaction). The later seems to be supported by my pump educator, she was telling me why important to change sites e3very 3 days because insulin would stick to the tube, and would not deliver the right amount. I don't find a big difference in my BG levels when I notice them, so I just change my site, and tubing when scheduled.

i use 2 have the exact same problem w/ the bubbles. i never refridgerate my insulin once i have opened up a new vile. i keep it room temp. 4 a month (no more! then i throw it out.) i, like U, have been on the pump 4 11yrs now. i dont have the bubble problem anymore. what i do: when i fill the resevoir, i pull in the insulin as much as possible; then i push bk in the plunger-thingy, and press out any remaining bubbles; then i draw more insulin into the resevoir and shake it about, making certain there R no bubbles (use 2 have a real hard time w/ that) then i am very careful about priming and inspect the tubing B4 connecting. when all looks well, i prime. i change my site every other day. sometimes, more frequently, so not only get a new site, but i ceased 2 have the collection of bubbles. if and when i do yet any more bubbles, i prime again and let the tubing clear. sometimes i use 2 put a bit of pressure on the tubing and push the bubbles out by hand (or fingers) i hope that this helps. if not, please let me know. I am eager 2 hear about any other pump problems and solutions. good luck