Airport Security and Full Body Scans

Any time I've flown, I've discretely taken off the pump and placed it into a sandwich bag in my purse and let it run through the carry-on scanning. Then after I walk through that area, I reattach it. That's worked everywhere so far without comment or harm to the pump. I have a Medtronic MiniMed which I usually attach to my abdomen above the waistline when a trip is planned. The only problem I've ever run into was with my bag of pump supplies which seemed to worry one agent. But she was nice about it.

I've always told the TSA person it's an insulin pump, then sent it through with my purse and shoes... Ooops! So far has not hurt it in any way I could detect,though? And those hyper-serious menacing TSA up-feelers left me alone.

I guess it's time for me to call MM for the tie breaking vote. I'm going to call them anyway to participate in the loaner program. I'll take MDI supplies, but I don't wanna go there if I can help it. I'm a pumper now!

MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER!
My trip to Singapore is just a week away and it seems traveling with an insulin pump is getting more complicated.
I did call MM and learn that the insulin pump should not go thru anything but the walk-through metal detecter. It should not go through the automated conveyor belt scanner either because that is an xray. Of course we all knew not to take it into a full body scan at all. Heck, I'm not even taking myself thru that, let alone the pump!
So the airport aspect is solved.
Then I got a surprise when I printed out MM's travel info. I learned that we are supposed to turn off the radio frequency function that allows our meters to speak to our pumps! And then the MM rep claimed she could not give an opinion on whether or not I should USE my pump on the flight! Now I know from all of you that you do use your pump on flights... do you use the RF function on your meters?
Thanks for helping... once again.
Singdy

I'm sorry it is so confusing. The MM can only tolerate going through a metal detector, it should not be put on the conveyor under the xray and you should not go into a full body scanner. A good chart on the interferance can be found in this MM summary chart. Note that the the MM CGM adheres to standards that allow it to be used on the airplane at all times, they provide an informational card you can show airline personel. But remember, if airline personel demands that you turn it off, comply, even if they are wrong.

I have had several flights in the month of February. I wear a pump. I disclose that I have a medical device, hold it in my hand, pass thru the scanner. All four time that I did pass thru the TSA I was asked to rub my pump in my hands, then they swabbed my hands and tested the swab in the machine. No big deal. They even let my 5oz juice boxes pass in my purse. No pat down. It was easy.

Singapore is sweet - it is well known that TSA are horrid and the US is the worst place to travel in. The Singapore airport security were awesome, I got a pat down in Korea (Incheon), mainly because I got the new guy that didn't know what to do with pumps. And NEVER disconnect it, then they think they can argure for you to put it through the bag extra - if it is connected, you tell them it cannot come off.

Yes.

TSA = Thousands Standing Around. This giant feel-good government bureaucracy is nothing but a money drain on the government treasury. They have never come close to catching a terrorist boarding an airliner.

Having said that, Animas does not recommend that pumps be exposed to x-rays. They recommend that users step out of the magnetometer line and opt for the pat-down. What am awful experience! There needs to be some exemptions put into place so that those of us who depend upon devices for life are not confused with the wakkos of the world.

I've been putting my insulin pumps through the hand-baggage x-ray for many years. I've been wearing and traveling with a pump for 25 years. The pump manufacturers may not recommend it but I haven't had a problem. YMMV.

I also remove all other metal including my glasses, medic-alert bracelet, cell phone, etc. Going through like that dependably without a beep.

The last time I flew, I took the metal belt clip off the pump, left it connected, and put the pump in my pocket. The metal detector beeped and I went through the extensive pat down. I travel with a hypo-alert dog and I am not required (eligible?) to go through the "naked scanner." I won't try to get through the metal detector without disconnecting next time.

I wonder what actual failures that MM or Animas have documented from airport x-rays.

I"m used to it by now. I just love seeing what kind of reaction TSA is going to give me when they find it. Luck of the draw at the airport, sometimes I have to go through the full body scanner and sometimes not. I love seeing the TSA morons wave the scanner and ask "what is that?".

One TSA employee shouted "we have a device here" after I told him I had an insulin pump on my arm (Omnipod). I made sure everyone around heard me reply "You dipshit, I told you 5 seconds ago it was an insulin pump, you must be new". His manager was approaching when I pointed at him and yelled "We have a moron here!"

Some TSA employees are good, some are bad....

I am always a little cautious in what I say around a bunch of security guys with 5th grade educations, some whom may be carrying automatic weapons.

Me too, Terry. My ping goes through the hand baggage x-ray without issue. Maybe the pump companies are erring on the side of $ caution as in, " If one in ten thousand gets damaged, even because the next guy put an 80 lb. brick on top of it, we still have to replace the pump unless we say NEVER SEND PUMP THROUGH X-RAY."

I have traveled with my pump - and sometimes it sets off an alarm, other times it doesn't ... it just depends on what day of the week it is I guess. lol When I was still on injections, I had a screener go through my bag "randomly" and ask me if I had either a letter from my dr that I was supposed to have my insulin, or if I had a prescription for it. I said "No I don't have an Rx - I had to give it to the pharmacy to GET the insulin." When I asked my Endo if he'd had any other patients ask for such a letter.. he said he'd never heard of that before. I have had my share of being felt up at the airport, though ... no fun but it is what it is. I guess I'd rather them be safe than sorry!

Thanks, Michael, for the wake up call. Now that I've learned what may happen, and the worst case scenario, I'm going to follow your lead and use the experience to amuse myself. How's that for an attitude adjustment! lol

Good point - well taken!