All meters go to Heaven, but can they go in the trash?

I currently have 9, soon to be 8 unused meters in my home and need to down size. Is it OK to throw them out or does any one want or collect these items. I have a couple of new, fresh out of the box Persicion Xras, a OneTouch Ultra, a OneTouch UltraSmart, and for those who like the old school flava, I have a FreeStrye (I am keep the FreeStyle Flash and a One Touch Profile.

If you are getting rid of all of these meters may I ask why you are keeping the ones you are? I have a One Touch Ultra Smart and would like to know if there is a better meter out there.

I got most of the meters for free. I think One Touch is one of the better meters on the market, but love the size of the FreeStyle Flash. It just comes down to personal preference and strips – if my current meter brakes, I have a back up.

I currently have a one touch ultra smart, one touch ultra 2, one touch mini and the one i use is the precision xtra. I love the size of the precision xtra. I got the latest one that is tiny.

Hi Deiree !
Can you please keep them for a while… I am writing diabetes management software and in some time I will need to create support for different meters and I will have to find people having different types of meters to help me with research and testing…

Andy

I gave out all my old meters to diabetics in Ukraine— there it is exceptional if a person with diabetes has a meter (the local doctor doesn’t even have one)-- I would be happy to pay shipping if you could send it to my parents in Michigan… then I could bring it to Ukraine on my next trip. The only thing that i need to check is the availability of test strips. I know that they can get OneTouch test strips, but not freestyle. I will check about the other brands and update. Still it would be great to ship all these extra meters out to countries where access to a meter is difficult. If anyone else has them, we could do a big collection and ship them out! Add me as a friend if you are interested. This would be GREAT!

That’s fantastic, Kristin! I hope you get lots :slight_smile:

I don’t have any to donate… they’re few & far between here in NZ and mostly at our own expense unless it’s an upgrade. But I love to see others making use of their collections :slight_smile:

There’s also ‘insulin for life’ who do a similar thing - I hope you’re all aware of groups like these. They want your spare insulins, pens etc too - could save a life.

I am involved with the Insulin for Life, whose headquarters are here in Australia.

Insulin for Life Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that collects and distributes insulin and other diabetes supplies that would otherwise be wasted. These are sent as a result of emergencies, and also on an ongoing, sustainable basis to recognised organisations and with agreed monitoring systems.

We have collection centres in several areas of the world, and have distributed insulin and other supplies to 69 countries on 419 separate occasions (to 06/08). .

If you want to assist, please contact us via our website.

We distribute only unwanted, in-date (with at least 3 months to go) insulin, test strips and sometimes (as needed) meters that are younger than 2 years old…

We also take financial donations to help offset transport costs. We welcome your assistance and support. .

Please don’t hesitate to contact us

Cheers…
Susi Rafati
Website and Email Enquiry Assistant to Ron Raab, President, Insulin for Life Australia

hi do you steel have them

Susi, does IFL take donations of insulin, etc. from the US? I didn't see it listed on your site.

I would be interested in this.

I do, but the meters are more than 2 years old. I will check out your website, but am guessing what I have may not be of any use.

They will all be in the trash as soon as this one hits the market..

http://thecurrent-online.com/news/development-noninvasive-glucose-monitor-step-closer-market/

Unfortunately not anymore. There are organizations that take them. I think that International Diabetes Federation is one.

2 Likes