Almond flour shortbread cookies/is it impossible to make chewy/crunchy low carbs cookies? :p

Hello :slight_smile: I have been experimenting with baking low carbs cookies, but they are often so “cakey” instead of chewy… Which is understandable because I didn’t use any real sugar but only liquid stevia. I realize that it’s slightly better if I make them thinner n cook them for longer in lower temperature but still they should be eaten within a day or two or else it’d turn soft again, is that normal?

It’s basically 1cup of almond flour, 1/2 stick of butter, around12 drops of sweetener, a dash of salt (and optional some cinnamon and ginger)

I wonder if that’s the reason why people add peanut butter and chocolate - to make them more chewy or gluey?

But I feel like I should take a break from all this experiment too, I’m worried that I’ll gain too much weight from eating too many cookies >.< :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m trying to make pancakes with almond flour and also can’t get the texture right. Maybe it’s just the flour that I’m using or the way I’m cooking them, but they seem grainy rather than smooth inside.

1 Like

What’s your recipe like?
I’ve been reading a lot about the chemistry of baking, and basically so much (chemical reaction) can’t be achieved without sugar
But I’m still quite happy with the cookies I’ve made, not perfect but better than none :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s pretty much just almond flour, eggs, almond milk, and vanilla extract.

1 Like

I’ve never made pancakes with almond flour but now you talk about it I wanna try haha I’ll let you know how it turns out

1 Like

It sometimes helps to use sparkling mineral water in your baking instead of milk. But I think it is really the almond flour, it is much moister than wheat flour.

I don’t bake often, but a couple things I’ve figured out in adapting recipes to be lower carb—if you have no objections to it (and many folks do), Splenda will react differently in recipes like almond flour pancakes or “sugar” cookies. Both my Walnut cake and my Zucchini bread, made with hazelnut flour and almond flour, respectively, benefit by adding two beaten egg whites to the recipe----makes them more cake-like…

From my reading–there are other additives that may be worth experimenting with: Arrowroot as a basic thickener…pureed plum…agave something or other that my daughter likes but I have not tried…ricotta or cream cheese—I like the possibilities of these last two…

I look forward to trying out the shortbreads though, @Mao!..

indeed, apparently almond flour is not just moister, but also oilier, which kind of makes the whole mixture different

2 Likes

ah, egg whites! i should try that!!

The shortbreads are actually really good, but has to be eaten soon after it’s baked, or else it won’t be crispy anymore! easy to make too, and you can add cinnamon/ginger/coffee/chocolate/vanilla etc.

1 Like

@Mao—I say on my Zucchini Bread recipe that if you like it cakelike you should eat it right away. But if you like it super moist and dense, let it settle for a day!..Recipes can be very “persnickety” can’t they!

1 Like

King Arthur Flour has an almond flour shortbread cookie recipe that’s very highly rated. Only 2 carbs per cookie as written but using a baking blend instead of regular sugar would cut that down. Looks like using less butter than in a traditional recipe is the key.

1 Like

@CatLady06 aw thanks so much, let me try that recipe next time! But should take a little break from cookies first :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

i going give them a try to.

1 Like