Alochol and diabeties

kk , so i know im still abit to young at the moment … but can alochol cause your blood sugar to drop . and does alochol affect a diahetic quicker then i non - diabetic because that is wat a friend told me so i was just wondering if it was true or not .please comment and thanks :slight_smile:

I don't know about the quicker part, but this is definitely one of those YMMV things. I have a friend who is a type 1, and drinking sends him higher if he drinks something that has carbs in it. On the other hand, drinking always sends me lower, even if I'm drinking something like beer that has carbs in it. So if I want to offset a higher-carb meal, I can have a beer or some wine with it and it somehow helps (maybe by preventing the liver from sending out more glucose, I don't know).

Only if, like General Jack D. Ripper, you drink only pure grain alcohol and American rainwater to protect your precious bodily fluids. I think that alcohol will drop your BG and it also seems to mess up whatever diabolical process causes dawn phenomenon.

Most kinds of booze have some sort of carby goo in them to make them taste better whether it's beer, wine or lime juice or whatever. Plus, when you get a load on, burritos, cheese fries and other assorted carbs come to mind? There are a bunch of extremely low carb beers out there now (Michelob Ultra 2.3 g of carbs, Bud Select 55 I think 1.8?) that while thin, don't have a tremendous impact on your BG in my experience? Plus, if you believe the commercials, they make you very studly. The Calorie King book lists carbs for a bunch of brands of beers plus all sorts of liquor, cocktails, etc.

Things like vodka and soda aren't bad to have either. I don't have too many problems from booze these days but had a couple of post debauchery hypos when I was younger, probably b/c I woke up in a fog and shot up and nodded off thinking the DP was 'as usual'? As with anything else, it is handy to test a lot and be careful.

It is true. The liver not only processes the alcohol that you drink, but it is also responsible for providing glucose to your body when you need it. The theory is that the former interferes with the latter. Personally, I have experienced this, but only when I had more than I probably should have. It can be somewhat dangerous because people are more likely to drink at night, and this could happen while asleep. The key is, when you're old enough of course, to keep it moderate.

And keep an eye on what's in the drink. Beer has carbs. Wine has only a few. Most unflavored hard alcohols have ZERO carbs, but the flavored varieties (like coconut) can have TONS. Plus whatever it's mixed with, like juice vs diet coke or whatever. One of the biggest annoyances is that alcohols are exempt from having nutritional labels, so your'e not necessarily safe buying bottles off of the shelf...

Guinness lists 9G of carbs on their "Draft Cans" or whatever they are called?