Any Type 1's with babies/children that developed Type 1?

Hi Heidi,
Have you considered enrolling your daughter in TrialNet? They do a blood test to see if your daughter has the genetics to develop diabetes or not. I was the only T1 in my family when I was dx’d in 1998. My entire family participated in TrialNet and although neither one of my parents were genetically at risk they told us that my brother had a 50% chance of developing T1 before he was 13. In January 2006 about a month and a half before his 13th birthday he was dx’d with T1. Since we knew that was a possibility for him we caught it very early before he went into DKA or even felt sick. I’m going to try to get my son involved with TrialNet once he is old enough (participants have to be at least 1 year of age and he’s 7 months.)

I’m the only type 1 in my family, on both sides. I was diagnosed at age 28 in 1996. I now have 3 children (12, 9 and 5), who are all non-diabetic. They have all been tested for antibodies and so far, negative. My son is enrolled in a TRIGR study which checks to see if early introduction to cow protien in formula has any influence on development of type 1.

I used to wait for the other shoe to drop, but I stopped. It was taking up too much mental time with worry and anxiety. If they develop type 1, I’ll be devestated, but its not the end of the world. They have only known me with diabetes, so to them, its 2nd nature.

I do still worry, don’t get me wrong, but I no longer obsess over it.

Hi Heidi, I wonder the same thing :wink: I have T1 first cousins on both sides of the family so I can’t but help wonder if there’s some hereditary link. The Vit D theory and the T1s having babies sound like reasonable contributing factors, but agree with others that there must be some other major trigger - the growing incidence is alarming.

I hadn’t thought too much about this before, only briefly. But now I am 5 months pregnant and starting to get really concerned. I was diagnosed with Type 1 at 9 years old, I am 28 now. I am the ONLY one in my family with any type of diabetes (T1, T2, Gestational, etc)…being hereditary wasn’t a cause for my diagnoses…but who knows for my child…