Anyone doing the Mastering Diabetes Program?

Hi all,
I’m looking to connect with others doing the Mastering Diabetes program. I’m not on Facebook, so I can’t join their group there. I was hoping there might be a few here I could communicate with to swap recipes, tips, and that sort of thing. It would be helpful to know other poeple doing the program regardless of the form of diabetes they have.
Thanks,
Devon

1 Like

Talk to @Marilyn6 - She is our resident expert in the Mastering Diabetes Program

3 Likes

I do MD except I don’t follow it 100%. I eat lean meat twice a month. And I do intermittent fasting on weekends one meal a day, but intermittent fasting is still good while on M.D.
I love it and it’s so far been a great way to manage my diabetes while also losing some weight and lowering my insulin requirements.
Lots of roasted veggies via air fry, no oil. Lots of chick peas. Most spices are good.
I eat yellow curry tofu. My favorite.
lentil pasta. With tomato sauce.
Sweet n sour veggies w roasted chick peas.
I got a million of em mostly the same ingredients with different spices and sauces.

2 Likes

Hi Devon, I have been following the MD program for about 7 yrs. I would be happy to give you my favorite recipes and books. I follow the plan 100% and I like it a lot.

I must confess that while on vacation I had a tough time finding plant based organic food without oil in restaurants. We took some food with us, but it was hard to stick to the diet. We get back home tomorrow and I will definitely get back to eating the way that makes me feel best.

I am happy to help you.

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s great. I agree that lower fat really helps. I’ve been doing MD for about a year, but have gotten more intense with it over the last couple months, and I’ve seen excellent results.

1 Like

Thanks Marilyn. I remember now that you are an MD member. You helped me a lot when switching to MDI also. I just got my latest A1c done, and there was no change on MDI vs. pump, so that was exciting. I’m going to stick with MDI.

I recently got some new MD recipes while doing a 6 week coaching program that I can share with you. Some are really delicious!

I hear you about traveling. I’ve done some long weekends here and there, but for those I’ve been able to pack a lot of food. Restaurants are a big challenge. How have your blood sugars been while traveling? It’s a tough thing, but you also want to enjoy the trip as best you can.

1 Like

When I travel, I just accept that I will be eating more fat. Even at vegan restaurants they put a lot of fat in their food. I don’t mind it reall for a week or 2, however by the second week, I feel weighed down and energy is lower. I also see an increase in insulin requirements.
It’s hard for me to stick with it when I’m being social and lots of people are involved, and I have a lot of food rules, I feel like a Debbie Downer, so I loosen up my rules quite a bit.

4 Likes

It is much harder at restaurants and in social situations. Right now, I notice a huge difference in insulin use and prolonged highs when I increase fat, so I really have to weigh if it’s worth it.

1 Like

Devon be sure to also look at your time in range, because it gives a lot of information about how stable you are. If in the long run, you decide to go back to a pump, please let me know your reasons for doing so.

I am glad that you took the 6 week course, since everything is explained so well especially how to eat to
reduce your insulin resistance.

I found myself eating quite a bit of fat on this vacation. Because of that I had to take a lot more insulin. Lots of shots and Afrezza. I rarely got above 150, but I had to really work at staying in range. I even ate some cheese for the first time in 7 1/2 yrs. It was our anniversary and there was nothing to eat that I would normally eat, so I caved in and ate a vegie sandwich which included cheese. I also ate some homemade potato chips. Soooo, I ate bread,cheese, and fried food. I almost never do this and I was up and down all night testing and giving insulin. My Dexcom has been wonky so I can’t trust it.

We are back home now and I will stick to my diet of beans, lentils, quinoa, potatoes, vegetables of all kinds, grains,seeds and fruit. Dinner tonight was very delicious and satisfying. My diabetes will go back to being fairly easy to control now.

Why don’t you message me a delicious recipe and then I will return the favor.

2 Likes

Hey guys lol!
It might be nice to share a favorite recipe that fits the MD diet on here which is low fat, vegan, and natural. That way we can all have a healthy recipe to try!

2 Likes

Ok, will do Marie. :blush:

2 Likes

Here is a recent recipe I got from MD that I really enjoyed. Lentil Vegetable Soup

Ingredients (2 Servings)

4 cups Vegetable Broth, Low Sodium

1 cup Yellow Onion (chopped)

1 cup Carrot (peeled, chopped)

1 cup Celery (chopped)

2 Garlic (cloves, minced)

1 cup Yellow Potato (diced)

1 cup Zucchini (chopped)

2/3 cup Dry Red Lentils (rinsed)

1 tsp Dried Basil

1/4 tsp Oregano

2 tbsps Miso Paste

2 cups Kale Leaves (finely chopped)

1/3 cup Parsley (chopped)

2 tbsps Lemon Juice (juiced)

Nutrition

Amounts per serving

Calories 465

Fat 3g

Carbs 89g

Fiber 18g

Protein 25g

Directions

1. In a soup pot, lightly sauté the onion, carrot, celery and garlic in a few tablespoons of vegetable broth. When softening, add the diced potato and zucchini. Stir and sauté a few minutes more. Add broth as needed to prevent sticking.
  2. Add the remaining vegetable broth, rinsed red lentils, dried basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are cooked through. Pierce one potato with the tip of a sharp knife to test it. If it goes in easily, the potatoes are done.
  3. Turn off the heat. Remove about a half cup of broth from the soup pot, and transfer it to a small bowl or blender. Whisk or blend in the miso paste, then transfer the miso + broth mixture back to the soup pot.
  4. Add the kale, parsley, and lemon juice to the pot. Stir until the greens have wilted. Ladle into a bowl and enjoy!

Notes

1. Consistency: If the soup is too thick, thin with additional broth or water until desired consistency is reached.
  2. Leftovers: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
2 Likes

This was also really tasty, and you can add or take out whatever you want to change up the flavor
Oil Free Hummus

Blend the following in a food processor or blender.

• 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
  • ¼ cup water or vegetable broth
2 Likes

Thanks Devon!

1 Like

This recipe is from Thug Kitchen. I love this and so do my non diabetic friends.
Pumpkin Chili

1 yellow onion
1 carrot
1 bell pepper
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeño minced, I don’t like it hot, so we leave it out.
2 tsps soy sauce or tamari. We use tamari
2 1/2 Tbs mild chili powder. We don’t use very much because I am a wimp.

1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 can (14.5 ounces) low salt diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups puréed pumpkin
2 cups veg broth
3 cups cooked beans ( we use mostly pinto and some black beans)

1 T lime juice

Toppings: cilantro, chopped onion,jalapeños.

1. Chop up onion, carrot, and bell pepper into pieces no bigger than a bean.

2. In a big soup pot, heat 1 T broth over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and bell pepper and sauté them until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño, tamari, and spices and cook them altogether for another30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, pumpkin, broth, and beans and stir. Turn down heat, cover, and let that simmer together for about 15 minutes. Stir now and then.

3. When it is done simmering, turn off the heat and stir in lime juice. Serve with your favorite topping.

We always double or triple the recipe. It freezes well.

I can’t break this down for you. I normally take 3 units for a bowl of this along with a green salad, and a garbanzo bean cookie.
I take 10 units of Tresiba.

Serves 4 to 6

2 Likes

This sound delicious! Any chance you could share the garbanzo cookie recipe?

1 Like

Here is another good recipe from Thug Kitchen

Potato Leek Soup

3 fist-size russet (baking) or yellow potatoes about 1 lb

3 medium leeks

3 to 4 cloves, garlic, minced

4 cups vegetable broth

1/4 t salt

1/4 t ground pepper

1/4 cup sliced fresh chives or green onions

1/4 cup chopped dill

1. Chop potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Keep the skin on if desired. Cut off the rough, leafy ends of the leeks. Cut off the roots and then slice up the middle lengthwise. Now cut the leek crosswise into rib bones about as thin as a hair tie and wash well.

2. Heat a little broth in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the clean leeks and sauté until they start to soften 3to 4 min.
    Add potatoes and garlic and stir to combine. Pour in broth and salt. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer for about 15 minutes until the potatoes soften.

3. When everything is soft and cooled a bit, pour into blender and blend well. Once the soup is nice and creamy pour back in pot and add the pepper and warm it back up. Stir in chives. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with 1 T of fresh dill on top.

Makes enough for 2 large bowls or 4 as a side dish.

3 Likes

Garbanzo bean cookies

I just discovered that I can’t find the recipe. I think my husband has memorized it.
Originally I got a version of the recipe from Robby. I will keep looking for it.

Meanwhile here comes another really good soup recipe.

Butternut-Apple Soup
From Appetite For Reduction
By Isa Chandra Moskowitz

1 med onion, diced small

1 T minced fresh ginger

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 red pepper flakes

2 t dried rosemary

1/2 t salt

3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4 inch chunks

1 lb red apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4 inch slices

2 cups apple cider

2 cups vegetable broth

1 T lime juice

Preheat a 4 quart pot over medium heat. Sauté the onions in a little broth for 5 to 7 minutes until translucent

Add ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, rosemary, and salt and sauté a minute more. Add squash, apples, apple cider and broth. Cover and bring to boil. Once boiling, lower heat just a bit and simmer briskly for about 20 more minutes or until the squash is tender.

Purée the soup using either an immersion blender or blender in batches. If you prefer you can leave the soup a little chunky by only pureeing half or so . If using a blender, be sure to let the steam escape so that it doesn’t build up in the blender.

Add lime juice and season to taste. Serve

Serves 6

Per serving.

Calories 200
Calories from fat 10
Total fat 1.5 g.
Saturated fat 0
Trans Fat 0
Total carb 41 g
Fiber 7g
Sugars 16 g
Protein 3 g
Cholesterol 0
Sodium 390 mg
Vit A 490%
Vit C 90%
Calcium 15%
Iron 15%

3 Likes

Thanks@Devon
I love lentil soup so looking forward to trying it, that sounds like a very yummy recipe! I’ve added spinach and garbanzo beans for a change, besides my standard carrots, onion and tomatoes that I usually add. The hummus sounds yummy too.

Another Hummus
Mash with the liquid it comes in, leaving it a little chunkier texture
A little lemon juice, about a teaspoon
Chopped onion about 1/4 cup white onion, less if yellow onion
Lots of chopped celery to mine. I use 3 stalks
Vegsal to taste.
If you want to crumble some dried seaweed into it, it will change up the flavor and adding more will give it a tuna type flavor

Mushroom stir fry
Makes 2 nice bowlfuls or 2 meals when over quinoa otherwise 4 side servings

Shitake mushrooms, I use the Woodstock organic 10 oz frozen bag
I add oyster, button, enoki mushrooms whichever I’ve found that looks good
at the market , the dried variety pack works well and a great way to try new
varieties! I’ve never soaked the dried mushrooms or the fresh ones I’ve added,
but some varieties especially dried shitake might need to be soaked prior for
30 minutes. Some sites recommend it with a little salt.
Parsley
Garlic
Ginger
Braggs aminos

Stir fry the mushrooms in low medium heat with water, if you are using the frozen bag it has water already but you might need to add a little more part way to make sure the mushrooms get cooked. Don’t use too much water because you want to end up with most of it cooked off before you add the herbs.

When the mushrooms are cooked and most of the water is cooked off, add Garlic, Parsley, Ginger and then make sure the water finishes cooking off. Add Braggs aminos to taste.

I say to taste because I never measure and what I add more of depends on what taste I feel like the most. But most of the time it is around
2 cloves of Garlic, dried works about 1 t (But I like garlic)
Parsley small handful of chopped fresh or 2T of dried
Ginger I usually use dried, about 1/4 teaspoon
Braggs aminos, about 1 T, that’s just to your taste, but be careful of adding too much
Enjoy a bowlful or over quinoa

Thanks @Marilyn6 That sounds deliciously scrumptious! I rarely add hot to our food unless I know it’s just for me, as my hubby is real wimpy too.

2 Likes

Oh wow! Some more good recipes to try. I love potato soups!

@Marilyn6
This might be your Garbanzo Bean Cookie Recipe? I remembered someone asked for it before and you posted this.

2 Likes