Anyone know about type1s using Metformin?

Dear Anthony.
I’m not eating the baked potatoes, but with 11 other adults to feed!!! Where in Canada are you? I visited Sutton in Quebec province in 1996 and fell in love with everything. Luckily I speak good French! I went with my mother to visit the friend she named me after, Who was Hana Fischl. Whilst there, we visited a load of other Czechs. There seem to be a lot in Quebec, including the son of a friend of my late father’s from his youth… I didn’t spear English for 3 weeks. In fact it got so I could think of the word I needed in French or Czech, but couldn’t find the right one in English. We explored Montreal a bit and went on a bus tour to Niagara Falls, which included a day in Toronto. I took all my courage in my hands and went up the CN tower. (I’m terrified of heights.) It’s cold here today. Around 0 deg in my conservatory. i haven’t been outside yet! I’m good at piling on the layers to keep warm. Have the big log burner lit today early for guests. Flames are so pretty ( when under control anyway.
I’ve just had a though tWalk outside wearing just one layer less, should burn some glucose.
unfortunately doesn’t work on me. I NEVEEr warm up unless under my perina.

Dear rainbowgoddess.

Maybe in B.C. Not in Calgary since the oil boom the care has been a disaster. Looking forward to the oil bust now in progress.

Dear Hana.

I was born in Montreal and lived there for 40 years. My parents had so many Czech, Moravian and Slovak friends you could socialize no problem without speaking any of the official languages. This was not passed on to the children like the Ukranians in Canada did. My cousin could write and read Ukranian better that her father. Emil Koller’s mother did all her shopping and all legal and religious work only speaking German and Hungarian for 40 years in the right area of Montreal.

In Canada fireplace is a useless idea as you loose more heat up the chimeney than you gain back from radiation.

Perina is a great idea for Canada. We may even still have one where some of the feathers and down in it came from Czechoslovakia in the late 1920’s. Dog also enjoys the concept except for one time when a piece of down went up his nostril.

Calgary tower is even more scarry as I have heard they installed a glass floor.

Today the weather was civilized. Zero wind, nice and sunny and a balmy -4C. We went ice fishing with my friend Ernie caught a really nice rainbow trout of about 1 1/2 pounds. Will make fish soup tomorrow. This is one of the miracles here in Calgary. The best trout lake in Canada right in the middle of the City.

Anthony ,

I really got hooked by your comment : " Medical care here in Canada is also very poor ; you are basicly on your own " …I so disagree with your statement and I think you have to get off it . All the stuff available to us Canadians , the advocay programs CDA is working on with volunteers , medical people etc. and there is more to do obviously …are you putting your xxx on the line and write or discuss about diabetes with your MP and MLA regularly ??? How much does it cost you to manage your diabetes , even in Alberta …and do you take " some " responsibility in how well you do or not do managing the chronic disease …anyways I got it off my chest . Thanks for listening and I am proud to be living here even if it is snowing ( 15 cm predicted ) .Join me in my next Team Diabetes Canada event and share your concerns with wanting to make a difference in the lives of people with diabetes , OK ?

Dear Nel.

Writing Jason Kenney my fed representative is pointless He will say it is a Provincial issue. Writing my Conservative MLA is even worst as the have a 95% majority and they are ideologically commited to destroying medicare on the long run.

Also in all fairness the population in Calgary has increased by 500,000 since we moved here. In the beggining the care was astonishingly good compared to Quebec. But now you cannot get a GP. And the GP is the gate keeper to the endo.

It cost me out of pocket about $5000 per year minus the puny tax deduction that revenue canada audits every year because they have not caught on yet that diabetes is expensive.

I take 100% responsability who else is there?

Dear rainbowgoddess and nel.

Sorry that I offendend you. I should have witten to Hana Rous. Just “here” or “here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada” instead of “here in Canada”. I dont not know about health care in British Columbia where it could be wonderful or anywhere else than Quebec where it is not usually wonderful but ok for heart problems.

We have donated and fundraised for CDA and Diabetes Alberta. when I was too sick to do it my wife went.