Anyone using Medtronics newest pump yet? The 670g

I live in the US. I had my training on the 630g about a month ago and asked the rep a lot of questions about the new system. She told me a couple things:

• They ship June 10th or 11th if i remember correctly for people in the ‘priority access program’ (those who bought a 630g)
  • Some people will get them earlier
  • The new sensor is supposed to be a vast improvement in accuracy (i think she said something to the tune of 50% more accurate).
  • Slightly different design(smaller sensor piece, transmitter still looks the same).
  • The new system Is able to ‘evaluate sensor health’ which the example she used was it may ask you to change a sensor early if it detects it needing replacement.
  • Auto mode is set up with your doc over the course of a few weeks. So you won’t use it straight out of the gate and you’ll have a few follow up appointments it sounds like.

She had a demo with her that i was able to play with for a while. I was pretty surprised how much they changed the interface from the 630g. Everything pretty much is located in a different place.

Love my 630g by the way. I have nothing to compare it to but compared to MDI’s has virtually eliminated my exercise induced lows. I use temp basals a lot to control my sugars when exercising. The low suspend is the biggest life changer though. Have had two events where i had sub-40 night lows that i did not wake up during (mountain bike training induced). In both cases the pump shut off until i came back up. Didn’t know they had happened til the next morning. Scary stuff…

1 Like

Yes, I love the low glucose suspend feature. Saved my bacon on a couple of times and if I don’t have a big bolus on board I’m happy for it to guide me during the night after exercise.

1 Like

Good info Noah-R, seems your rep is providing you a lot more information than mine!

Have a 630G now (since September of last year), marked improvement over the MM 523 pump I was using before. CGM has been challenging mainly because of the fact that I’ve been T1D for 41 years, since bent needle MM504 pump days, so have scar tissue in the MM recommended areas for sensor insertion. However over the past month I’ve had great success using the back of my arm (with help from my wife on taping) and upper butt area. I’m sure the Dex is more accurate, but I’ve been using Medtronic pumps since the mid-1980s so very hard to switch vendors.

Really looking forward to getting my 670G (I’m in priority access, hopefully get it June time frame). I do not plan to use it in auto-basal rate mode initially until I get a level of confidence on the accuracy of the new Guardian 3 sensors. Supposed to be much better/equivalent to the latest Dex.

So I’m on the 630g now. Rolling over to make the enlite sensor last 4 seven days instead of 6 is not as simple as the previous Medtronic pumps. I need/want to change my sensor around the same day of the week and the same time in the morning (silly me). With the new transmitter, I can’t just tell the pump I’m using a new sensor. I have to peel back the tape and disconnect the transmitter and plug it back in. Then I tell the pump it’s a new sensor.

I have to wait the two hours, calibrate it, then use it until I change it again the next day. The sensor seems to be just as accurate through day 7 but I like to recharge the transmitter so that’s when I put in a new sensor.

The main reason I’m looking forward to the 670g is the additional accuracy of the sensor and I won’t have to disconnect and reset the sensor if it lasts 7 days.
Truthfully, I’m not wowed by the 630 design and menu system. It takes more keystrokes than ever to use the Bolus Wizard.

I’m hoping for improved sensor accuracy with the 670G also. If I can extend the sensor additional days beyond 7 with good accuracy that would be a plus. Plan on using the 670G in manual mode initially (not auto basal adjust) until I feel confident sensor accuracy has improved enough to accurately control basal rate.

Overall I like the 630G a lot, especially the integration with CGM. The display is nice, adjusts for lighting conditions which is nice for outdoor use (I bikeride a lot).

There’s no perfect pump/CGM system on the market today, but things are a heck of a lot better than they used to be!!!

I got my 630G a few days ago and am scheduled to have training in a couple weeks. I look forward to the advancments of a new pump. Ive never had a CGM before!

I got a Paradigm last year out-of-pocket (long story) in Canada, but am now in the US and have recently gotten insurance through my husband, so I might have the opportunity to jump in on the get-a-630-now-and-upgrade-to-the 670G-when-it’s-out-deal…trying to make my mind up if it’s worth it. I am very impressed with the kind of results it seems to give, and I think it would help me a lot as my basals swing a lot. What is holding me back is I heard the Enlite sensors are very finicky; I currently have the one that shipped with the Paradigm but have never used it (I have my battles with the infusions and just didn’t feel like fighting with another thing). However, if this new pump could solve the basal battle, I think I might be willing to wear 2 things. So…anyone know how reliable the new sensors are? What kind of failure rates are we actually talking about–how has it been for those of you using the 630’s enlite? Has anyone tried the sensor for the 670G? (I know–long shot since it’s not out yet but thought I’d ask). I understand no diabetic thing works 100% of the time, I’ve been a pumper for about 6 years now and have had every kind of infusion situation you can imagine (including accidentally shooting a quickset straight into the air like a rocket launcher…thank god I was wearing glasses :joy:). Thanks for any responses on this!

I’ve had a MM 630G since September of last year (upgrade from Paradigm 5 series). Planning to upgrade to the 670G as soon as I can get one (June hopefully). I really like the 630G for the improvements it offers over the Paradigm (display, waterproof, better CGM accuracy, etc.). Others have complained that there are a lot of button actions to get things done but it doesn’t bother me at all. Maybe I like pushing buttons!

Enlite sensors are definitely more accurate than Medtronic sensors of the past but not as good as the Dexcom from the data I’ve seen. I initially had a lot of problems with the recommended sensor location (abdominal area) and CGM accuracy. That is probably because I’ve been T1D for over 40 years and have scar tissue in that area. For the past month I’ve been putting the Enlite sensor in the back of my arm following the advice and recommended modifications on this YouTube video Inserting Medtronic Enlite in arm by self. My wife helps me with the taping and needle removal. Accuracy with the Enlite has improved significantly in the arm, plus it very much an out of the way location.

I plan to use the 670G initially in manual mode until I have a level of confidence that CGM accuracy with the new Guardian 3 sensor is sufficient to allow it to control my basal rate.

I was on the 630 since about November when my 530 took a crap while i was out of town. The 630 took a bit of getting used to but the display, the CGM graphs, etc. were a nice feature. The major complaint was 6 button presses to suspend. Otherwise the 630 was not horrible. I mean, I LOVED the ease of the 530 series menus, two-button suspend, etc. but the 630 was a nice upgrade.

I just got the pre-release 670 last week and decided to NOT wait for the training to make the switch. It’s awesome. As mentioned above, the menu is fairly different but the most awesome-ness is how accurate and consistent the new sensors have been. Annoying part is it’s now 11 BUTTONS to suspend.

The worst part is the case of boxes of sensors I have for my 630g DO NOT WORK WITH THE TRANSMITTER FOR THE 670g!!! I have 15 or so sensors that I can’t use.

Otherwise the pump totally rocks.

I’m on full-auto mode now. It’s extremely easy and very accurate. I love it.

1 Like

Good feedback on 670G Hamer! Wish I had gotten mine sooner but Medtronics gave me some make no sense reasons why I wasn’t selected for the initial roll-out group. Hopefully I’ll get mine by June. Until then I’m rationing my unused Enlite sensors to avoid having to buy more of them.

Did Medtronic offer to swap any of your unused Enlite sensors for 670G sensors?

1 Like

I haven’t spoken with the rep yet. That’ll happen tomorrow during my “introduction” meeting. The counselors usually aren’t thrilled that I always start myself on these pumps. They actually hate it. I think they feel like it invalidates their job. Sucks that I don’t need their help, I suppose?

1 Like

Are you aware of a limit (7-day?) on the new Guardian sensors, that cannot be ‘fooled’ with a restart ? (I think I read that somewhere).

i started with the original MM sof-sensor, but now using Dexcom. Just curious, does the new Guardian still use/display ISIG, and is that helpful ?

1 Like

I haven’t hit the 7th day. I’m only on day 3 so far of the new sensor, & day 1+ of the closed loop. Haven’t tried to fool it yet but will update once I find out whether it works. MM doesn’t want the fool feature to work otherwise they’re out a boatload of cash lost on replacements.

As for the ISIG. It’s still in the Status -> Sensor display. I’ve never paid much attention to the ISIG. I’m a pure BG results watcher.

Maybe from my comment on another thread–I asked about this directly when I met with my M-t rep a couple of weeks ago and he said you absolutely won’t be able to do that. The new sensors have their own self-monitoring chip that disables the auto-mode and sends an alert if it “thinks” the sensor is misbehaving, and it won’t tolerate any clever hanky-panky, at least that was what I inferred from what the rep said.

I just started on the 670G last week and entered into Auto Mode after the 2 day startup yesterday. I’m a bit confused, as auto mode doesn’t seem to be keeping me near the 120 mark. I’m currently 175 (sensor and meter agree) and hadn’t had breakfast yet. I woke up around 210 and corrective bolused for that which brought me down closer to my target. But then I went back up without eating something.

Shouldn’t Auto Mode correct for that? Does it get better over time? Anyone else with experience?

If I am understanding you, you used the pump in manual mode for 2 days before switching to auto?

Yeah - that’s required. There is a 48 hour “auto mode warmup” period before you can turn it on.

Its my understanding you need to run it in manual mode for a week for best results.

1 Like

Did you get trained on the new system? Didn’t they address that?

(I got mine last week but am still waiting for the training and even though I am very proficient Medtronic pump + sensor user, am not planning to start before that, mostly to get the most comprehensive “tips and tricks” in order to make things run optimally once I do switch.)

1 Like

Note:
There are times in Auto Mode when basal insulin is being delivered according to your
recent insulin needs, but is not being adjusted based on an SG reading. This is called Safe
Basal. You will learn about Safe Basal after you learn about Auto Mode basics.