Anyone using Metformin for a long time? what about Kidney disease?

I been on Insulin since 2/10 and I’d rather be on it then the pills. I do still take metformin. It just isn’t that big of a deal to inject.

Hi everybody :)

I take Lisinopril for my high blood pressure and it works great. I was on it when I started Metformin -- If I don't take the Met I'd have really terrible insulin resistance (before insulin) I was on Actos and Glipizide too. I don't mind taking insulin. I just have to lose weight and am failing badly. Since I have chronic high blood pressure that is under control 120/70, I would imagine that they would give me which ever is best.

My husband has had 8 kidney stones. His first was at age 21. He developed diabetes about 15 years ago. We read in a medical journal that if you have had lithotripsy to break up kidney stones that your chances of getting diabetes goes up immensely. We think that the lithotripsy may have damaged his pancreas because it was after his 2nd round of lithotripsy that we started to see his A1c rise rapidly. Anyone else had lithotripsy for kidney stones and then develop diabetes without any family history???

I have been on metformin for 20 years with no problems. Nancy