Metformin and insulin

I have heard theat metformin is very hard on your body. I take both metformin and insulin. Should I be concerned about what metformin is doing to my body. I can not find information on metformin that addresses this issue. I would welcome any advice.

I’ve been taking metformin for about 3 years now. I’ve not noticed anything.

I’ve heard the opposite and I’ve been on Metformin for 5 years. It’s been around for a while and I’ve never heard anything, assuming you have no other issues outside of your diabetes

Dear cyd.

Yes, if I take metformin for more than 3 weeks 500 mg three times a day I become dead tired. with dead being the key word. On this site there was another blogger ( twixcookie) that does not support it well. A few years ago I found a web site with metformin horror stories but could not find it again.

Otherwise adding it to insulin does improve control somewhat and my endo said it might reduce hunger possibly.

Many people are fine on it. Ask around it there are liver function tests that can be done to see objectively if it is causing any harm? Readers any thoughts? If I get to see Endo in February I will ask about this and guinea pig the stuff again, see if we can find anything.

David, David and Anthony
Thank so much for the information I really appreciate hearing from others about how they are doing with their diabetes.

I am still practically new w/ metformin. Relatively, you should be ok, as long as your kidney is. But I did notice that some brands of metformin can be hard on my digestive tract. Nothing really bad still, it may just send you to the toilet more.

My Doctor told me that metformin is bad for me and change it to solosa 1 mg. So far, I have added a few pounds and I feel great. She told me that Metformin causes me lose weight.

Dear Ramon.

Did your Doctor say why metformin was bad for you?

If i take regular metformin it’s hard on my stomach, but since I started the extended release, no probs.

theres and extended release???

Dear Eggie.

Tummy not really the problem in my case just get wipe out after a few weeks. You wonder if extended release would be better. I will discuss this with my Endo in February see what he thinks.

I take 1500mg of the extended release with no problems (about 4 yrs now)

From Medicinenet.com…I was one of the one out of every 20 patients and ended up with dehydration. I had to hang out in the ER with the IV because I couldn’t keep anything in me and dehydrated.

http://www.medicinenet.com/metformin/article.htm

SIDE EFFECTS: The most common side effects with metformin are nausea, vomiting, gas, bloating, diarrhea and loss of appetite. These symptoms occur in one out of every three patients. These side effects may be severe enough to cause therapy to be discontinued in one out of every 20 patients. These side effects are related to the dose of the medication and may decrease if the dose is reduced.

A serious but rare side effect of metformin is lactic acidosis. Lactic acidosis occurs in one out of every 30,000 patients and is fatal in 50% of cases. The symptoms of lactic acidosis are weakness, trouble breathing, abnormal heartbeats, unusual muscle pain, stomach discomfort, light-headedness and feeling cold. Patients at risk for lactic acidosis include those with reduced function of the kidneys or liver, congestive heart failure, severe acute illnesses, and dehydration.

Samantha

Sam,

Further epidemiological research has come up with the finding that the incidence of Metformin, though it is as stated here, is identical in people NOT taking metformin.

Lactic acidosis can happen because of certain disease processes, particularly in people with kidney disease.

Metformin is very safe for people with normal or near normal kidneys. You should always stop taking it before any procedure that requires X-ray contrast medium. In an emergency where you must have imaging (like after an accident) you can just stop taking the metformin for several days after the procedure. I checked this with my local hospital radiology lab. They had not ever seen an actual case of LA from Metformin and X-ray.

“You should always stop taking it before any procedure that requires X-ray contrast medium. In an emergency where you must have imaging (like after an accident) you can just stop taking the metformin for several days after the procedure. I checked this with my local hospital radiology lab. They had not ever seen an actual case of LA from Metformin and X-ray.”

Are nuclear EKG’s considered a form of x-ray with contrast medium?

It is a scientific fact that metformin can cause muscle pain and fatigue

As someone familiar with LFT’s…one should probably be routinely tested for those and their BUN and creatinine levels for their kidneys. The LFT’s will include amylase and lipase, which show if the pancreas is feeling fine.

I am doing well so far on Metformin XR…my doc didn’t want to try me on it, and in the same breath balked at the idea of having to get preauthorization from my insurance.
I don’t know if it was on this website or where I found out, probably here…that Walmart and Target have Metformin XR 30 tabs for $4.00. So, I saw my doc and I said, “Look, since this is the only drug that won’t make me gain weight and destroy my heart, I want to try the XR, and Walmart or Target have it for $4. I am willing to spend the lousy 4 dollars to find out if I can tolerate it.” He liked that and wrote me the script.
So far, so good, some bouts of meemies, but nothing too bad. I have been on it a week now.
I lost 8 pounds so far on the Bear Grylls diet. I exercise like mad too. I have a Theraband living room.
I am going to beat this disease.

Jenny,

So far my kidneys have been given a clean bill of health. Of course this is before I have consulted with an endo to see what further testing I am to go through (I am only 3 weeks into controlling my D). My body just can’t handle the lowest dose of metformin, resulting in moving my life into the bathroom. Not a good choice for someone with a teenager on the run and a 3 year old. It is unfortunate because it was starting to bring down my BG.

I just read your blog. I started Metformin in Dec. and tried to do it for three weeks. Made me sickkkkk, About an hour after i took it I would start throwing up… I was on 2000mg a day. It did keep my BG in fairly good values though. Now I am having a really hard time controling my BG. Today it was 365 most of the day and after the meds. Don’t want to go on insulin if I can help it. I am new to this whole thing as I was diagnosed on Dec. 17. I am having a hard time finding some diets to follow and the proper foods to eat. I am not a big meat eater and that is causing a problem… any suggestions I would appreciate.