Are pumps intrinsically safe?

Hello everyone - anyone have a clue in understanding if our gadgets are intrinsically safe? Medtronic has a small statement about flammable anesthetics, but that is all. Any and all comments appreciated!

Thanks,
Jonny Quest

Gee, Never thought about it. But, I use mine in all kinds of places; workshops, where there are all kinds of chemicals, welding shops, ship engine rooms, so far haven't blown anything up.

If referring to Intrinsically safe - "incapable of releasing enough electrical or thermal energy under normal or abnormal conditions to cause ignition of a flammable mixture of methane or natural gas and air of the most easily ignitable composition", No insulin pump has been evaluated & tested by MSHA (Mine Safety & Health Administration, an Agency within the Dept of Labor), UL, or any other organization and approved & certified as "Intrinsically Safe".

The pump manufacturers are unwilling to provide the electric circuit design information necessary for evaluation & testing. They claim releasing this info would compromise their proprietary designs. MSHA personnel are prohibited by Federal regulation from releasing proprietary info. The pump manufacturers also believe the market for an Intrinsically Safe insulin pump is too small to invest in having their insulin pump approved & certified as Intrinsically Safe.

Anyone wearing an insulin pump to work in an underground coal mine?

Or any other industry (chemical plant, petroleum refinery, hydrogen plant, natural gas pump station, jet fueling area on flight deck of aircraft carrier, trona or gilsonite mine) where an explosive atmosphere could develop?

Does anyone have statistics as to how many pump wearers are in this situation - possibly not wearing their pump to work or wearing it on the QT to avoid management concern?

We need at least one pump manufacturer to participate in having their pump tested and certified as "Intrinsically Safe" to provide an option for pump wearers that work in a coal mine, oil refinery, chemical plant, natural gas or propane storage or shipping facility, or any other occupation where an explosive atmosphere could develop.

Would appreciate hearing from any one that needs an "Intrinsically Safe" insulin pump or is interested in convincing the insulin pump manufacturers that there is a market.

I just started a job as an electrician at an oil refinery literally a couple days ago. I'm amazed I came across this thread. Perfect timing. I'm on an expansion project and I'm not one of the inhouse guys. There are many areas of the plant I can't go anyways.
They say they want all radios and cell phones to be instrinsically safe. So I asked about insulin pumps. They are checking on things and say I will have to add it to the hot work permit since its not rated. I also have a cgm and I like to keep my meter nearby.

I wold be nice for one of the pump companies to have their pump rated, but then again, would it even be worth it for them? Having the option for an intrinsically safe pump would be great! I have an animas pump which is water proof. That may almost make it safe, but battery cap allows air in. It would sure be nice to know.