Are you a runner with type 1? Come on in!

Just thought I'd share my story here. I was diagnosed with type 1 in 1977 at age 3. Now I'm 38 and I'm running across the United States. I'll be the first insulin-dependent diabetic to do this. Along the way, I'm meeting diabetic communities at children's diabetic camps, hospitals, grocery stores, city parks, and even bars. My hope is that I'll inspire other diabetics to take ownership in their health and to show recently diagnosed diabetics that this isn't the end of the world. Because of the volume of my running, I'm down to a quarter (down 75%) of the insulin I once needed. If you live along my route (Denver - Omaha - Chicago - Ft. Wayne - Pittsbourgh - Trenton - NYC), I'd love to connect with you! Visit 1run.org for my blog, videos, and an events calendar

You go!!!!
Type 1 35 years and started running at 50 years of age. I love running (can't believe I'm saying this) but have problems outdoors, the longest has only been 8k's. I also have problems in the heat. The 8k is in Nov. in Chicago so heat is never a problem! :)
I have problems keeping my BS up. I am on a pump and turn it off but it really depends on where it's at when I start. I always seem to go really low when I run at the club. The last 8k I went really high, I think I over compensated and went high.

My 6 yr old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 nearly 2 years ago. She has recently starting running in 1 mile races for kids. She loves getting out first thing in the morning with her dad to run. I'm so happy that she is starting such a healthy activity at such a young age.

1RUN is on it's way to Denver, CO. Be there in 2 weeks.
http://youtu.be/CcZ2T9VBb-I

just signed up for a 5km, Type 1 19 years pumper for 2. I used to run a lot when I was in highschool and got to the point where I could do it no problem. It's been a few years since highschool, and a few years ago I ended up getting neuropathy and lost a lot of muscle in my legs. I had what they call a flop. Went and did a 1 mile last night and felt like my leg was going to fall off, calf and shin muscle seized up, guess even though the flop and the neuropathy is gone, my muscle isn't back yet. Anyone else battling with this issue? Feel like a cripple right now. Do you think upping my sodium now that I'm in training will help with the seized pansy muscles or do I just have to work it till it's built up again. I don't think 1 mile would really deplete my sodium too much

The first time I ran since like college was after a few year of martial arts and I figured "I can do anything!" and ran 4 miles out of the gate and was like "awesome!" but, the next day, I could barely walk from shin splints. I went to a running shoe store who noted my old 275 lb guy walking around the block shoes vs my 230ish lb frame and found some more appropriate shoes that helped almost immediately.

I've had the calf cramps that can lock my knees pretty tight too, but usually only after I run for 1.5+ hours. I started taking Enduralyte salt pills earlier this year and have had good running since then and had 3 cramp-free hours on Saturday. Good luck!!

1Run made CBS news in Denver!
http://youtu.be/mi2TTBsZMLc

Great article from running times on a diabetic runner
http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26899

Sorry to be so late in responding but dang Michael that 5K is blazing! Congrats!!

I participated in my first race as a diabetic this past Saturday. I had a PR in the 10 mile race. It is so inspiring to see so many type 1 runners out There. I haven’t experienced any problems with running yet but I’m still new to the lifestyle of a diabetic (just diagnosed LADA in July)so every day is an experiment. I’m hoping to do halves in January, March and July of 2013 to keep me disciplined with training. I’ll let ya know it goes. My endo is recommending a pump because of the running and my busy lifestyle. Right now I’m on Lantus, humalog, and symlin. 7 injections per day plus testing at least 7X! This is a full time job! Thanks for all the great posts.

hello, new to this site from manchester, NH saying hi hi hi

Hi, I'm a Type 1 currently in the honeymoon phase, dx with 1300 sugars back in June 2011, have been off insulin since August 2011...I run 3 to 4 times a week for 25-30 minutes a pop, love it and I also would like to do some 5k's and get to know some of you that live in NH, please add me I look forward to meeting you.

Hi All! I’m new to this site from Santa Barbara, CA - just saying hello!

Hey guys - New to site - T1 runner always looking to swap tips and advice

Hi everyone! I just started running recently (starting out on the treadmill til the snow is gone!). I'm working on my first 5k right now, but by next year I hope to complete a half marathon.

I have no problems with blood sugar control so far on these short runs. My question is for those of you who are long distance runners - how do you prepare diabetes-wise for long runs? What do you carry with you? Any other tips would be great, thanks!

I’m signed up for my first half at the end if the summer with a couple 5ks coming up soonish. I’m a little nervous about long runs and making sure I have enough stuff with me, but I’m excited to give it a whirl!

Re stuff, I've posted it elsewhere, or maybe here before too but I have an Amphipod belt, w/ an extra pouch:

I get little bags at Hobby Lobby and fill them w/ 1/2 Starburst Jelly Beans (flavor, texture) and 1/2 Smarties (dextrose) for emergencies:

I don't bring the bottle on my belt unless I'm going maybe 6+ miles. This winter, I've experimented with what I refer to in my head as "running naked" and tucking a bag of the mix into the sleeve of my tight-fitting UA Warmgear shirts and an ipod, no belt, for 5K runs in the middle of the week. Happy trails!!

For the folks who are moving to longer runs: What I do (for 10 mile/half-marathon distances) is to start a little high (150-200) just so I have a little room to maneuver if my blood sugar drops rapidly during exercise (and it tends to do so for me). For my last half-marathon, I fueled a bit in the starting corral, but ended up not having anything else until I was done, aside from watered-down Powerade along the course every few miles. I've found that after about 6-8 miles, I start getting into the fat-burning portion of the race, so I get a BG boost from that without additional fueling. In fact, after running a 10K, my BG can be climbing after I'm done. Very annoying. You should, however, ALWAYS have something with you. I carry Gu chews with me, sometimes along with other carb-dense candy that tastes better.

And, as always, practice before you do your races. If you are following a training plan, it may take you out to the race distance, or beyond, and I would recommend that to T1 runners if only so you'll know how your body reacts to that many miles. If I were to train up to 20 miles for a marathon, I'd be worried about those last 6.2 and whether I'd bonk at 22 because my fueling was insufficient for that distance. Race day is always a little different, mostly due to the adrenaline bump from the race conditions, but if you run like you've trained, there shouldn't be any big surprises.

Hello everyone. I’m a pumper (on/off since 1985) and new to running. I also have Addison disease and struggling with finding the right amount of cortisone after long runs. Anyone have any experience with diabetes and Addison’s diaease?

Hello. I started running a couple of months ago. Starting slowly as the last time I tried to start I gave up because of injuries to various parts of my legs. So far so good. I have no plans for big races but am putting in a 5km about 4 times a week and may increase to 5 times a week. It is a nice distance. I am transitioning from swimming which I did a lot over the past year. Swimming is good, but I feel like running is healthier for my feet as the stress of the pavement seems to create better foot circulation overall. Maybe I will do more serious running and longer distances in the future, but for now am happy with my 5kms. I've had diabetes now for almost 20 years and am in my 40s. I have had cartilage removed from both my knees (long ago when I was in high school and in college). I am a little concerned that this may affect my ability to run very long distances. If anyone has any knee related advice, I would be happy to hear about it. Anyway, I just joined the group and saying hi and am enjoying reading the comments in this group.