Are you being induced?

Just curious to know who out there is choosing an early induction, or is being prescribed an early induction due to the chances of the baby getting very big if carried to full term.
My first was born naturally at 39w4d and was 10lb4oz, which I think was too big for me. Had a terrible time getting her out!
This time around I was hoping for an early induction to prevent the drama. I live overseas, so I’m curious to know the protocol in America. (I am an American and usually side with American medical practices)

I was told I will definitely not be allowed to go past 39 weeks. It sounds like I will likely be induced during week 37 or 38. I will be getting twice weekly NSTs starting at week 28 and once weekly growth scans starting in week 32 to see how the baby is doing and to make any specific decisions on induction!

Hi, @T1_Japan – I was curious whether you got close monitoring with your first baby or whether the estimated weight (based on ultrasound measurements) was way off. I have been thinking about your question here and wondering whether the right approach for you might be to plan for induction if… (and select a threshold of weight or whatever other things you think are reasonable, in conversation with your local doctors), and not just think that you must be induced to have a better birth experience. This is the reverse (but same principle – flexibility adapted to the actual circumstances) I was hoping for before I gave birth. In my case getting induced made for a much longer and worse (for me; thankfully baby came out in great shape) labor and delivery than could have been the case.

(For context: I gave birth in October 2017 and was adamantly opposed to induction since nothing suggested a very large baby or any other complications. I ended up getting induced at 40w3d largely as a concession to my husband; I tell more of that story elsewhere on this forum.)

How are things going with your pregnancy, @Lcpgh ? I’m at 27 weeks. Baby is measuring a little big, but not so much that I’m concerned. I was told today they want to start NSTs 2x week at 32 weeks. I’d really like to avoid excessive monitoring, especially leading to unnecessary intervention. If the first one is normal, I’ll prob come back in at least a week. Just bracing myself for the fight of what docs say I have to do and what I will actually allow.

Thank you for asking!!! I am also 27 weeks right now! We are doing a fetal
echocardiogram this week (just a precaution). Next week I start the weekly
NST’s and the weekly growth scans so I’m not sure how he’s measuring yet.
The plan is still to be induced no later than 39 weeks. The only thing I’m
not super happy about is that if he’s huge then we will just schedule a
c-section instead of inducing early.

Everything is still going okay though! My a1c hasn’t been higher than 5.2
since conceiving. Unfortunately I’m still super sick and throwing up
multiple times a day. That is making things a little difficult and

Glad things are going ok, minus the sickness. I somehow lucked out. Just a hint of nausea early on, but mild enough to manage with lemon, ginger, and mints.
I skipped the fetal echo, after much consideration. Main reason was that it would be out of pocket, not having met insurance deductible yet. I did a lot of reading on statistics of abnormalities found compared to just U/S. With nothing abnormal found on the anatomy U/S or genetic testing, I felt ok not getting it done.
My doctors review Dexcom numbers at my appt and also every week or so online, then make recommendations to adjust rates. They haven’t checked A1c since October, though I am curious what it might be. I can see how it makes sense that week to week detail tells more that a 3 mo. average.
I was 27/2 weeks at last U/S, with baby measuring 3 lb, 1 oz (28/6 weeks.) Hoping she hasn’t jumped too much by the next appt, but also bearing in mind that I was born (natural) perfectly fine at over 9 lb.

Web-Stat web counter