Birth Stories?

Hello all,

My due date is quickly approaching and I would love to hear about the labor experiences of other Type I women. I am especially wondering about whether other women were induced at 39 weeks, as I hear is the standard for diabetics... if this is truly medically neccessary for the safety of my baby I will allow it, but I am young and healthy and would very much like to take a more natural approach if possible. Thanks in advance for sharing your stories with me!

I was induced at 39 weeks, and I am thankful since my daughter was 8.9 lbs and I am very small. If we would have waited another week or more. I would had a c-section. Diabetics are known for having bigger babies, so don’t worry it is better early then later.

Also, I managed my own insulin. I wear a pump and this allowed me to watch my own sugars while in labor and adjust as necessary. Good luck! Can’t wait to hear all about it.

Hi Dalice! Oh I remember those last few days before baby comes…they feel like an eternity!

I’m LADA and I had my first son before I was diagnosed and was not properly treated. For him, I was induced due to high blood pressure at 37 weeks and 6 days. He was 8 lbs 7 oz. But I was diagnosed during the pregnancy for my second son. I had an ultrasound every week or so towards the end of the pregnancy and it was incredible how accurate it was! It said baby would be about 6 and a half pounds and he was 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 21 inches long. He was born 5 days early and I was induced only after my water broke.

I don’t think there should be a standard that all diabetic women have to follow. If you have an ultrasound and things look great, then I see no reason to induce on a certain date. Good luck and get your rest. You’ll need it!

I had a C-section at 38 weeks (two weeks ago) and my baby was fully ready for the world at 8 lbs 2 oz. Size was our reason for scheduling the c-section, but my OB doesn’t let T1Ds go beyond week 38 regardless. (It was going to be either induction or c-section.)

My perinatalogist preferred that I wait until week 39, but I was anxious. When I asked what his reservations were about earlier or later, he just indicated that it was a risk assessment issue. The farther in you go, the greater the risk for (a) pre-eclampsia, (b) a large baby, © the placenta drying up and not providing proper nourishment (happens with diabetics). The earlier we went, the big issue was going to be lung maturity. As her lungs and diaphragm looked great on the sonogram, I was comfortable going with week 38.

If I were you, I’d be open with my OB and ask what his or her assessment of your risks is. If you’re a candidate for pre-e or if your baby is trending large, I would go ahead and do the induction as suggested. In the end, I believe that the birth experience matters far less than your baby’s or your health at delivery.

Thanks for the responses so far! It’s a good reminder from Melissa that the little guy being born healthy is more import than just how he is born. At this point he’s not too large (20th percentile) and all tests are coming back with good results, so I guess what I am wondering is if this remains the case, is there nonetheless the need to induce at 39 weeks as my Dr is suggesting?