Art opportunity

https://mnartists.walkerart.org/opportunity/art-for-all-call-for-disability-community-artist

1 Like

Wow! Are we disabled? I didnā€™t know!

2 Likes

Technically, legally, ā€œYes,ā€ Willow4. LOL. I like to call us the least disabled, disabled people anywhere. We are pretty impressive. But, I think a lot of people with disability are more competent and impressive than ā€˜normalā€™ people.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to have to get a whole mindset adjustment over this!!!

1 Like

I get it. I had to think about this subject a lot in order to make sense of it. Art helps.
Iā€™m actually really interested in the medical disability experience during covid because that is a group that was obviously, highly impacted.

Nobody ever talks about it here. I wish we would. I need help sorting things out. We were like a well oiled machine when covid hit - determining the impact and developing strategies. We were well prepared for medical disaster because we deal with the medical system breaking all the time.

During covid, I went to other ā€˜churches,ā€™ to talk to people who were members of other disability communities to get a fuller perspective. It was an odd experience overall, but maybe not a totally bad one. Covid really took me to church and forced me to re-examine things. We seemed to have fought our way through it all ok, though, eh? Hozier - Take Me To Church - YouTube

I think that covid forced me to see a really stark divide between people who view themselves as 100% healthy/invincible and those who recognize vulnerability to forces outside their control. That perspective manifest in strange ways for individuals. But, mostly, I dealt with peopleā€™s denial. Denial was everywhere, but less with people from communities of disability. So, you all were refreshing to talk to. The ā€˜Normalsā€™ were taxing. They lacked the tools, perspective, and experience for an event like this.

There were times where I wondered if a bunch of us in this forum would die. I didnā€™t know. I instructed my brother and my buddy Vlad (from the visual impairment community) to notify the forum if I died of covid. But, for some ā€˜Normals,ā€™ there was absolutely no concern at all. That raised a divide in perspective, I guess. Iā€™m not so concerned now. I think we all did a good job during covidā€¦better than the ā€˜Normalsā€™ :grin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UclCCFNG9q4&list=RDMM&index=3

2 Likes