Asha update november 2013

Up until yesterday Asha was only 1 of 3 diabetic alert service dogs in Canada.
As you all know, yesterday was World diabetes day. Guide dogs of Canada has finally stepped up to the demand of diabetic alert service dogs and the very first class in training graduated yesterday.
How cool is that???

Where I live, in the city of Calgary Alberta, There just isn't many service dogs around. And although everyone is aware of the seeing eye dogs, most people are not aware that dogs can be in service for many other purposes, including diabetic alert.

Because there was no way to have my dog certified by a service dog facility, every where I went I would call ahead, explain my circumstances and educated people on this type of service my dog provides to gain public access.
So far everyone has been very accommodating.

I did have a run in with an employee at a convenience store awhile back which after my contacting their head office has since been straightened out, they now have a sign on their door letting people know that service animals are welcome! (see picture)

I made it a point to talk to the owner and praise him for posting the sign to which he informed me it was completely "ASHA inspired"

So all in all Asha has been saving my life everyday, and helping to educate others in the service dog area. All is well in our world.

However, winter is now here, getting lots of snow, and that wind... can go right through the warmest of bodies. Asha and I take the bus to work and on weekends, sometime we will have to wait a good 15-20 mins for a bus. Not a problem on most days but when its cold out... poor dog.

I rely on her so It is my duty to make sure she is well taken care of and kept healthy. If it weren't for her I would be pretty much house bound.
I decided that I would go on a mission to find her some winter attire that would keep her warm on those freezing cold days.

Yes she is a shepherd/husky cross, which in most cases, can withstand some pretty severe temperatures. But keep in mind, this dog, regardless of her breed is indoors all the time except when going to work or the store. She has not the warm furry coat that most of her breed has this time of year.

It took me awhile but I did find a doggie snow suit that will keep her warm this winter. Attire like this is easy to find for small fifi dogs but it was quite the challenge to find one for a big dog.
I have a picture here to show you my find.

Although it is funny to see a dog wearing full winter gear, I can assure you she actually likes it when it is windy and super cold.
People have been taking pictures of her when they see us coming but they can laugh all they want... She is warm, safe and healthy!

Now if we can just get the cat to stop laughing....![|604x453](upload://66L51pSZPsETFwB1UvdgcKFvrht.jpeg)

i think your dog deserves a mink coat

What does Asha do? Does she let you know when you are low?
I live in Edmonton, Alberta, and I agree with you that she needs a coat for our super cold winters when she is with you indoors so much. She’ll be so much more comfortable and healthier. Good for you for taking care of your pal!

Gb... I have video's showing people how she does what she does. She alerts me when I am at 10.0 or higher or 4.0 or lower.
she has her own facebook page if you want to see.
http://facebook.com/ashadiabeticalertdogintraining

What an upbeat story karebear ...glad to see you here again with Asha ..I found this link ( as I was looking for something else :) http://globalnews.ca/news/961937/new-breed-of-guide-dogs-helps-patients-with-type-1-diabetes/ and on the Canadian site Heather Burt is writing about her Freddie !!