Awful customer support: 670g frustration

I’m so irritated right now, and I want to share. I was really happy when my endocrinologist suggested that I consider the Medtronic 670g, their new closed-loop system. During that conversation, one of the first thoughts I had was regarding Medtronic’s REALLY bad reputation when it comes to CGMs and how much I just love wearing a Dexcom CGM. (I’m currently on the G5 and have it talking to my iPhone and iWatch, which is wonderful.) My endo confirmed that I’d have to wear a Medtronic CGM.

Uh oh.

I decided that I’d go ahead and try it as they’d managed to get FDA approval.

My experience has been awful.

It took them forever to even schedule a time for me to see a Medtronic nurse to get up and running. I’ve had the 670g for weeks and was waiting to be trained. Not her fault, as she was great, but if you’re going to launch a new product like this, make sure you’ve got the staff to support the rollout.

Replacing the sensor is a chore with the Medtronic 670g. I’m used to the Dexcom where my transmitter arrives with a charge and then just works. Eventually, you have to replace it, but there is no waiting around to charge the transmitter. The first time I had to switch my new Medtronic sensor on my own, I’d forgotten about that.

It was Wednesday of last week. I was out and had evening plans. My sensor sends me an alert that it’s done. I go home thinking I’ll just switch it out and head back out. Not so fast because, ooops, I need to not only switch out the sensor, I need to charge the transmitter. Instead of a sensor switch being 10-15 minutes max like it is with my Dexcom, this is now a project. Also, I’m learning how to do it, so I’m just slower. So much for my evening plans because the switch took almost an hour primarily because I had to wait for the transmitter to charge.

WTH? Did they do any user feedback on this workflow? What if your sensor fails in the middle of the day or at night? You’ve got to wait for a charge in addition to a two-hour warm up time!

I’m in a 670g group on Facebook and got a good workaround from a member there: simply make the sensor change a morning ritual once a week. That’s assuming you get your 7 days with no errors. I decided okay, I can live with that difference because having a full night’s sleep without the alerts I’d get from my Dexcom waking me up either for a low or high was worth it.

That’s been the one big benefit of wearing the 670g: a full night’s sleep with no alerts. If the 670g CGM calculates that you’re going low, the pump suspends insulin delivery, you sleep, it kicks back in when your sugar levels off, and I’m well rested. :slight_smile: That’s amazing, and that’s what kept me going.

However, I had two sensors fail back to back over a few days. The first sensor that I inserted that Wednesday evening eventually failed a couple of days later. The Medtronic sensors take a long time to fail. It started giving me errors in on Friday evening. I went to calibrate it before going to sleep and it wouldn’t take the calibration. I tried 5 or 6 times. This is bad because at this point I’m in auto-mode. I call support. It’s 2-something am, and the rep tells me to turn it off, wait three hours, and see if it gets a signal. I remind him that it’s 2 in the morning. He then suggests I put the pump in manual mode and see how it is in the morning. He did warn me that the sensor was probably going to fail. Sure enough, I woke up the next morning and eventually just had to switch the sensor out.

That morning I knew it was going to be a process. I lay everything out, set up the transmitter to charge, and take a long shower. This time no problem. I had to wait a bit for the transmitter to finish charging. (My shower wasn’t long enough, clearly.) I get everything attached. It warms up, and I’m good to go…until yesterday.

Around 4:45pm I get an alert that my sensor is updating, that this can take up to 3 hours, and not to calibrate. I get this same alert two more times and the pump eventually kicks me out of auto-mode. I figure this is bad, so I call Medtronic support. I get one guy who has to transfer me to someone else. I explain to him that I really can’t stay on the phone for a long time, so please connect me quickly. I get a 670g rep. I explain the same thing to her. She asks me when the alerts started, I say between 4:30 and 5pm. I can hear her typing. She asks me the same question again. At this point, my temper is short. I repeat, and I point out that she just asked me this. She then asks me to go to my alert history where the exact same data is right there! I got my first alert at 4:45pm.

At this point, I’m just livid. Why did you ask me the same questiont twice when I could have just jumped to the alert screen and told you the exact minute I got this alert? I explain again that I’m pressed for time and I ask her roughly how long this “troubleshooting” will take. I know they need the data, but my other option was to just suspend the pump, go back to MDI, and call when I had more time. She doesn’t answer my question, so I ask her again does she understand. She then gets smart. Her tone changes and she says she understands English. She’s clearly NOT understanding my point though. If this isn’t something she walk me through quickly, I can just take the go into suspend mode or simply remove the pump and call back later. It’s just making things worse because I’m not in the mood to have a customer service rep who is just as stressed as I am.

I hung up on her.

I then let my Medtronic nurse and endocrinologist know that I was removing the 670g. I don’t trust the 670g system. The sensor is way too prone to failure.

What if I wasn’t wearing my Dexcom and my sugar crashed? So much for having faith in the FDA.

On top of that, I got an email from Medtronic and notification from UPS that my supplies are in transit. Problem: they sent it to an old work address. I’ve not worked there since 2014. I asked them to switch the address in May when they contacted me to get me on the 670g system.

Too many balls dropped = customer service failure.

(Note: I’ve worn the Medtronic 508 and Paradigm pumps before; I’ve also worn the Omnipod. While I have years of experience pumping, it’s a learning curve getting back in the groove of using a pump. I completely forgot about the alert history screen or I would have gone to it immediately when she asked me the first time. The 670g is now a paperweight on my desk.)

8 Likes

Oh man. This makes me so nervous. I’m on the 630g, expecting the 670g sometime over the next few months or so. I have totally given up on my 630g (at least the sensor part, which was the primary benefit).

I used to do Dexcom and MDI. Then I compared the Enlite with my last few Dexcoms…ugh. Many nights of the Enlite thinking I’m 40, suspending…and me waking up with a 500 blood sugar because I was…not 40.

So, I struggled through it and knew just to always double triple check if the number didn’t feel right. Anyway. I took my last one off and it’s just less stressful really. I hate not knowing the trends, but if the trends are never right, then what’s the point? My doc assured me the 670g is so much better and accurate as far as sensors and connection. I guess we shall see! Good luck!

2 Likes

Was your doc saying the 670g was better than the 630g or better than the Dexcom?

When it the 670g CGMs works, it’s amazing. The fact that it’s communicating with the pump and the pump is suspending before you even hit a low? I was on Cloud 9.

I’m not okay with having two sensor failures in a week. I’m pretty certain I know what set it off too. I didn’t have breakfast yesterday and then had a high carb lunch. :hamburger: :fries: My 670g sensor went nuts. However, that shouldn’t set off a sensor failure.

While that was happening, my Dexcom was just doing its thing. My 670g is vibrating and giving me the same “sensor updating” alert and my Dexcom is like “hey there, you might want to take a look at this trendline, check your blood sugar, and possibly correct.” :confounded: vs. :sunglasses:

My expectations for both the technology and customer support are high. Part of that is Dexcom’s fault because my experience with them has been excellent. Even when I’m frustrated, they walk me through and help me fix things. :blush: I don’t call them often, actually, but the last time I did it was regarding having my new iPhone talk to my G5. It got sorted out quickly and the rep even called me back when I thought of another way to trouble shoot. Medtronic needs to steal some of Dexcom’s support crew to learn how to do it not only right but excel at it.

That’s another thing I don’t like. Having to unclip my pump to see my number. With my Dexcom, I just turn my wrist because the number goes to my iWatch. Medtronic is working on that, but I don’t expect that to be a priority for them.

1 Like

“Definitely” better than the 630g (I sure would hope!), and very close to the current Dexcom. Under 9% margin of error?

No kidding - right there with you on the having to unclip! I guess I haven’t called much for assistance - sorry they’ve been such a pain. I hope they make it right! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Regina, You are wearing both the Medtronic and CGM at the same time? Wow!!! Can’t get better real world testing than that. As you continue to get results that compare the two devices would you mind continuing to share your experience?

1 Like

Made me smile! Your side by side comparison of the Dexcom and Med-T CGMs is interesting. I hope your Med-T equipment settles down and you start getting better results.

2 Likes

@Tim35 and @Terry4 - As of yesterday, I stopped wearing the 670g. I’ve got too much other stressful stuff going on right now to deal with this roller coaster: I’m on a hunt for a new job and I’ve got personal stuff going on. I’d rather just put my application in for a service dog. On the companionship front that’s probably a better option for me.

Anyway, I’m done with them for now. I called Medtronic today to tell them to have UPS send that misdirected package of stuff back. Sure enough I had a rep say who didn’t say “sorry for the error” but, instead said that was the address they had in their database.

DUH! I know that. I also know when I spoke to the Medtronic rep in April to get on the 670g, I told him that I’d not worked there for awhile and, in fact, updated it to where they sent my initial supplies. They just have a crap level of service. There is no excuse for it.

1 Like

Regina, You can get the serial number from the pump without detaching the clip on the 670G. It’s under Menu>Status>Pump. If you scroll to the bottom, the pump serial number is there. You can also get the sensor transmitter serial number from Menu>status>Sensor.

I’m confused regarding the relevance of your reply. I know where to find the serial number on the 670g pump. Now that I’ve taken the battery out, and it’s sitting on my desk removing the clip is probably the only way to get it as it’s out of power. :smirk:

Oh, wait, the “unclip my pump to see my number” wasn’t regarding the serial number, It’s regarding my glucose number. I mentioned at the start of the post that with my Dexcom I can see my glucose numbers on both my iPhone and iWatch. With the 670g, if I want to check I have to unclip it to see my number.

Example - this pic I snapped of my iWatch a few days ago that shows my glucose level from my Dexcom:

2 Likes

Feeling your frustration right now Regina! I am on the 670G as well, and it’s my first time ever on an insulin pump (switching over from MDI)
The sensors have been an issue for me as well until recently. I have had a couple of bad customer service calls as well…I am a little shocked they released the technology without fully training people on it, and without adequate production of supplies.
My sensor had a HUGE variance from my blood sugars at one point. I was woken up at night with the alarm that my pump had suspended basal because of low blood sugar…great! So I stagger down stairs to test my BG, meter says 167. Hmm…which one is right? Used my old meter to double check the blood sugar and the meter was correct.
I don’t know if this will help, but from what I am hearing, the sensors are very different than other CGM systems.
On charging…my sensor battery charges in about 15-20 minutes now. They recommend once per month to charge it for a full 8 hours. This has given me a stable sensor battery.
My endo told me to increase calibrations to 5-6 times per day…which was a BIG mistake…made the variances even worse. My Medtronics rep here said to only calibrate when the sensor asks…that has brought it back down in to an allowable range compared to BG readings.
I’m sure they told you when you called, but I also discovered when I calibrate is important…if my blood sugar is changing rapidly, I hit the snooze and wait until I am more stable to calibrate (no arrows above the pump glucose reading)
I have called several times for sensor issues…and each time they told me to replace the sensor. I am now down to one sensor left, and their production is not meeting demand, so I am on a “waiting list” for more sensors…THAT is incredibly frustrating, especially when I realize now most of them didn’t need to be pulled, I just needed to calibrate correctly >:(
I have been having issues with air getting in to my reservoir…I usually know it is happening because I smell the insulin (ew!). They keep implying I am doing something wrong, but I follow the directions exactly and use room temp insulin. Even had the hubby sit with me and read from the instruction manual and verify my steps…I am an ex nurse so I kinda know about not getting air in when drawing up etc. That has been extremely frustrating.
I joined this group because I am new to pumping and definitely new to the 670. I have spent a lot of time at home because I am nervous to leave the house now and have something go wrong…because when it does, it goes downhill quickly.
I have been stable now with the insulin and CGM for a few days now, hoping to go on automatic on my next endo visit. I told them about my frustrations and they said they are seeing people do a LOT better in auto mode. Will keep hoping…

2 Likes

Yes! I do before breakfast/wake up, before lunch and before dinner…if I do before dinner I am not woken up in the middle of the night to calibrate which has made me less grumpy :slight_smile: Are you in auto mode yet?

Sorry you’re having issues with the CGM. You have to calibrate when your sugar is stable. That’s the same for the Dexcom. Example - the sensor I’m wearing now, unfortunately, my sugars were coming down when it asked me to do the initial calibration. It took my Dexcom a good day to level out because of that. Both systems will be off if you calibrate when your sugars are trending up or down quickly. The problem is the 670g sensors talk to the pump, so it’s really important that those numbers are accurate.

BTW, you should check your sugar after a CGM reading before acting on it. This is something they stress for the Dexcom system. What’s great about the G5 is you can now dose off of that number, but I’m still pretty conservative about that unless I know I’ve had glucose readings that are close to the CGM.

I’ll reach out to you via private message with more info. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I just requested to join the FB group as well and saw your picture there…nice to talk to people who are using it, it’s been a learning curve for sure…and I feel like I am testing BG more than ever right now…I have been told that will mellow out and I will just need to do meals/alerts testing later…my fingers will be thankful. I am a learning musician and it’s tearing up my fretting hand lol!

1 Like

I misread that! I understand now.

1 Like

I already test a lot. My Medtronic nurse said I’d be testing around 10 times a day. That’s not that far off from where I am anyway. I use the Dexcom as a trendline and a safety net, but I’m still pretty conservative and test a lot.

:sunny: I hope the group helps. PM me if your request lapses too long. I know the organizers are gearing up for an onslaught of new users since the 670g is now open to everyone.

Appreciate that! And yeah…I thought I tested frequently…seems double that now. I laughed when my endo said she was ordering 300 strips per month >pops open another bottle of strips<

Annnnnnnd, I got a message from someone at my old workplace today saying that the package of supplies these morons at Medtronic sent out arrived. (So 1) they sent it to the wrong address and 2) although I got in touch with them the next day, they didn’t contact UPS to stop the shipment.)

I called Medtronic today to let them know. 1) took forever to get through the phone tree and had to enter my birthday twice; 2) told one rep the story and then she transferred me to someone else, and 3) finally got someone else and all he could say was they’ll process this as a lost package even though it was actually misdelivered and will be returned. He said something silly about how I needed to verify the lots. No I don’t. They sent it to the wrong address. They’ll get it back and should be able to simply verify what’s in the box and send them to someone else.

This is particularly concerning because I’ve heard that the demand for supplies for the 670g exceeds the supply.

So annoying…

1 Like

I understand the frustration but … I do love the way you tell it !!!

1 Like