Azimuth 5 Thanks You All

Thanks for the support and info. As I said on my chat this morning, I was diagnosed type 2 in 97, and after years of metformin, glyburide and actos, my new interninst is recommending insulin for better control. He assures me the needles are smaller now, and that some patients find the syringe stick less painful than a fingerstick for glucose monitoring. In two weeks i will find out. I've been looking at the pressure pens online and wondering if they may be better, but I will have a better idea what to do at my physical with the doctor (and when I find out what my insurance will actually pay for).

I am a T2 on insulin. I find the syringes hurt less, but the pen is much more convenient. I am also a big fan of starting insulin early.

Like Brian (and very many others here) I am also a T2 on insulin. I agree completely that the finger stick is much more uncomfortable than the injection. It may seem counterintuitive but it is actually so, for me at least.

My first shot was really hard to do but after that, no problem. The syringe is so small and finely graded that I don't like to re-use them.

Pressure pens are an interesting idea but haven't caught on. The dispersal of insulin under the skin spreads it out which is great for faster absorption of short-acting insulin but I was concerned about Lantus which is supposed to absorb slowly by forming a ball under the skin. I didn't want a pressure pen for meals and then also syringes for long-acting.

I always liked the longer needles, i think 12.7 mm but had trouble getting them the last few years I used it. I don't worry about any pain or anything like that w/ shots or BG. The key thing is beating your BG into submission...

While I'm here, has anyone heard anything about Glucosil? Is it bollocks, or a legitimate supplement to lower blood glucose? I'm curious, but cautious, as I don't want to waste my money on the diabetic version of laetrile.

hey Azimuth, you've found the right place. I'm a long time type1 (pumping 24 years), but I remember the needles from my early days in the late 60s, and they are nothing like the ones today. occasionally I have to take a shot of Humalog, and truly you can hardly feel it. What they say about the blood testing is true. Please join this Group

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/insulin_dependent_type2

Brian: I am interested in the pen. Hope to learn more. David: That's good to know about the injection. Don: Don't know if the insurance will cover the pressure pen. Gotta find out more from my doctor visit- I have a list of questions to ask. Acidrock23: I will be curious as to what needles will be best for me.

Thanks Marie B. for the support and invite.

I barely even feel an injection. No pain or even discomfort at all. Needles are quite thin & you shoot into areas with fat. I tried pens & prefer syringes. I had bruising from pens.

Every few months, there's a new herb or miracle supplement that allegedly lowers BG. Snake oil. Save your money.

I don't know what a pressure pen is but I have used before the pump pens with needles that are so small you can in no way feel the injection!

Thanks Gerri and MariFrance for your info! :)

I have always said that a finger stick hurts more than an injection by a factor of 10. I would much rather do an injection. I am also an insulin dependent T2 and I do hope that you will take Marie's advice and join our group. http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/insulin_dependent_type2.

Hi Azimuth! MariFrance is correct, they aren't called pressure pens, just insulin pens. :)

The brand of pen you'll need depends on which manufacturer produces the insulin your doctor puts you on. (The pens are not inter-changable between brands). Most diabetic centers will supply you with a pen for your insulin free of charge, once you have a prescription. So will most pharmacies.

If your insurance approves the cartridges, then you can use the pens, if not, then you're stuck with vials of insulin and using a syringe.

I'm sure you have more questions, I have approved your membership for the http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/insulin_dependent_type2 group here. See you there!

Actually, there are pens that are disposable. No cartridges. (in France anyway) Then you have a box of needles (different sizes possible)

I am Type 2 and on insulin for a long time. I use the pen, The needles do not hurt me at all. I inject 4 times a day. GO FOR IT. Reed