Bad reaction at 3am

Walked into the kitchen at 3am. My reading was 42. Did remember eating a blueberry muffin and couple of swallows of eggnog from the carton. Was getting very light headed and confused. Did have sense enough to wake up my wife saying “I’m having trouble”. Opened up a can of Pepsi and drank half of it.The food I ate hadn’t kicked in yet and knew I would be ok if I passed out. Getting more confused at this time - fumbleing with the pump trying to turn it off. Just when I was getting ready to yank the thing out of me, I felt the food I ate kicking in. My head became clear and my pajama top was wet from perspiration. This scares me and I hate it. Had the paramedics at the house once with an IV. I was out. Anyone out there with similar experience? Thanks for listening.
Sid

Sid – It’s bad enough with the confusion, soaked PJs, and the possible impending threat of even worse things to come. When this happens to me I often must deal with BGs in the 200-300 range for 8-12 hours into the next day.

Night-time lows – they’re the worse. It’s like no matter how hard you’ve tried to control things, you’ve failed! You can’t be too hard on yourself, though. Be happy that you woke up and took care of business. Also be happy that you have a wife to back you up. I live alone - if I don’t take care of business, it doesn’t get done.

Count your blessings. Figure out what went wrong and try to learn from it. It’s all you can do.

Have you ever thought about getting a continuous glucose monitoring system? I’ve only had one such night-time low since I started on mine in early September. My Dexcom monitor would have caught that one had I set it up to alarm if it moved “out of range.” My Dex has woken me up several times in the last few months in time to pre-empt a nasty low. Just a thought …

I can relate to your experience. I’ve had it happen many times over the years. It was worse before I got on the pump though. I tended to get many more lows on shots. But since you mentioned being on the pump maybe you could also lower your basal rate during the night while you sleep if you have a lot of night time lows. Just a thought! I know how scary it is. Then you have to avoid not eating too much being scared trying to get it back up and end up having the opposite effect happen where your blood sugar sky rockets after over treating a low. Then you have to deal with stabilizing your blood sugar yet again! It’s a horrible feeling for sure!! I learned that eating 15 carbs and waiting 15 minutes,testing and retreating if necessary works well but that’s hard to do when you’re already confused, shaky, sweaty,feeling faint etc. when you’re low too!

Terry and Stacey, thanks for the replies. I should add. I am on a pump - 7 months Minimed 722 and CGM. I get 6 days on the CGM until “lost sensor error”. Had the CGM off recharging and usually take a day off when I had this reaction. I think my carb count was too high. I also don’t peak until 2 hrs after I eat. A 40/60 % ratio at 2 1/2 hours duration seems to work well at this time. I usually wake up from sleeping with blood sugar around 60 - 70 - 80 BG. 59 years old and diabetic T1 for 20 years. The pump lower readings overall. Still have highs but for not as long. Having lower BG tends to risk more lows. Finding a happy medium is a real pain. Constantly changing.
Thanks, Sid

Dave,
I have a glucagon in the kitchen for emergency. Have you ever given yourself a glucagon injection? I assume you didn’t because if you can give yourself an injection you don’t need it because you can feed yourself. Where do you inject, in pinched up fat or muscle? What is it like for you after the injections?
Thanks Sid

Yes I’ve had this experience. 2 am when my 10 pm Lantus is too high! It peaks then. Quick way for me to know I’ve got too high a basal.