Basal/Bolus split -- Vindication!

I remain clueless… :thinking:

I’m the perfect example of why formulas don’t work for many T1s diagnosed as adults. At .9 units per kg, my TDD would be 45 units. It’s actually 20. My basal bolus split is 30/70. My I:C is 1:7 in the morning and 1:10 in the afternoon.

2 Likes

Not always. This, like everything else concerning diabetes, has exceptions. Some T2s have little or no insulin resistance—me, for example. That’s because T2 is not a specific diagnosis like T1, but rather a diagnosis of exclusion (like IBS, for example). When no diagnostic test can pinpoint the type, it’s classified as T2. So the label “Type 2” actually encompasses a number of different patterns of which insulin resistance is characteristic of some but not all. That said, it is true that the great majority of those classified as T2 do have substantial insulin resistance.

2 Likes

I know there was a reason why I should not have asked for type 1, when I was 17 in 1969, the endo at the hospital said they had a special that week on diabetes for free, without explaining the difference, so being typical brainless 17 yo I said " I will have type 1 thanks" dumbo teenager, now 10 years later I am still type 1 !

1 Like

Dam battery is down to 3%. I Will log back in tomorrow see u later

And to throw a link into the whole insulin resistance story, there are some type 1’s who after many years become insulin resistance and are taking huge amounts of insulin to stay in line. It is a scary disease and it never seems to fit whichever group you try to make it fit into.

4 Likes

I probably average around 30/70. Its going to depend a lot of factors, so striving for a very specific ratio is a poor choice, IMO. But i guess i am no doctor :slight_smile:

You are lucky you are not a doctor, saves all those who ask for free advice to vindicate their pet theories (this place being the exception) !!!