Be prepared for severe hypos with a spare 'glucagon' injection/shot

Long term are you prepared for severe hypos with a spare ‘glucagon’ injection/shot.

Do any Tu members carry these in their arsenal for severe hypos?

Are you T1 ?

What about T2s?

I think its for use by a family member friend to treat a severe hypo??

Is it really a big issue with T2s?
Is it necessary to have a spare glucagon shot, and when would you use it?

Nope, Type 1 but I live alone and my cat’s paws couldn’t manipulate the syringe.

No. I’m Type 1, been diabetic for 18 and a half years, never needed glucagon, as I’ve never lost consciousness from a low. So my endo told me it was unlikely I’d ever need one and so I didn’t renew the script. However, I’m starting to experience lows that I don’t feel until I’m in the 30s or 40s, so I may get a Glucagon kit again.

My T1 daughter carries a glucagon kit with her in the event of a low BG emergency where someone else would administer it but I think it would be worthwhile for a T1 living alone to have one for (mini-dose glucagon) treatment of falling blood sugar where the individual is having trouble keeping food/juice down, if ill for example.

Nope. T2 on MDI. Glucagon is a last resort measure for others to use if they can’t get a quick glucose source into you otherwise. If I needed correction for a low and could do a glucagon injection by myself then I could just as easily drink or chew on glucose tab which are around the house, work and family cars. Glucagon should be reserved for others to use when you are either unconcious or incapacitited to the point they can’t get a glucose source into you orally. At 6’-1", 200 lbs my wife isn’t capable of giving me one if I were combative, which by that time she has already called the paramedics. Which by the way, according to my wife get here in a matter of minutes. We live just a mile or so from the nearest station.

I am type 1 and have A kit with me at all times I actually have several kits have used few of them over the yrs better then going to the ER in my opinion. they save lives.We use them on the ambulance on our pts many a times.

From what I understand, Karen, glucagon has some pretty severe side effects so I wouldn’t consider using it for anything that wasn’t a crisis. Are the side effects greatly reduced with low doses? For me, I’m very rarely sick, and blood sugar seems to rise for people not fall when they are, so it isn’t something I’d bother with. YMMV.

I’ve been Type 1 for almost 20 years and I don’t carry one, mostly because I don’t think any family or friends of mine would actually use it. If I were unconscious they would just call 911. If it were more like an epi pen—just remove the cap and jab into the leg—it’s far more likely I’d carry it on a daily basis, though, because even a stranger could use a device like that in the event of a severe low. A device like this is in development (http://glucapen.com/), and if/when it comes to the market I will probably start keeping one around.

Always carry one in my “oh sh@t” bag full of extra supplies. Never had to use it yet, but came close to mini dosing one time when I was sick and wasn’t absorbing carbs and couldn’t get my BG above 80 despite many uncovered carbs and IOB.

The one time I was unconscious from low blood sugar my liver kicked in and woke me up enough that I could (very slowly) treat it myself. And that low was caused by a stupid mistake my doctor and I colluded on before I understood how to use insulin. I haven’t even come close to anything I couldn’t handle since. It seems to me some people are more prone to dangerous lows and, living alone, I’m lucky not to be one of those people.

I haven’t had a glucagon rig for years. We’d get them and they’d expired five years ago and we’d chuck them. Or it’s in a box somewhere. I never had one around when I needed one. I think they are great in theory and I’d like to have one every now and then but I’m not sure they are totally useful. The last time the paramedics peeled me off the ground and saved me from the space aliens they used IV dextrose? I wonder if that might be somehow advantageous compared to glucagon?

Yes, the IV is immediate acting, whereas the Glucagon takes 10-15 mins or so…BUT - the Glucagon can be easily given by your family or friend in a crisis while awaiting the paramedics. And if the paramedics aren’t close to where you are, it can save your life.

nice work danny

Zoe, I agree that glucagon should only be used in an emergency situation. Mini-glucagon is encouraged by the BC Children’s Hospitalfor use with children to prevent severe hypoglycemia, particulary in stomach illness. We were told about this protocol first by Alberta Children’s Hospital when our daughter couldn’t keep food down and was falling asleep while continuing to go low.

I had a glucagon kit but i did not realize it was expired until last Sunday when i had a seizure. I scared my roommate pretty good. I have not had a seizure from lows in 11 years. I know my roommate wanted me to get one again if that ever happens again he will not have to call 911. Worst part is no health insurance. Im sure that bill will be a nightmare.

Glucapen would be great! I’ve got a glucagon kit, but it’s expired. Guess that doesn’t count:) Before it expired, I only renewed the Rx when I traveled. My husband knows how to use it, but he’s never had to (knock on wood).

I think I have at least 2000 syringes in a big box in my garage. Some of them are probably older than your glucagon!

I agree that I’m looking forward to this pen, and would carry this one around with me!

I don’t have one because I live alone and have no one to use it on me. If I ever live with someone, I will definitely get one. I made it over 25 years without ever passing out and then started passing out a lot. I used to be one of the ones thinking “it will never happen to me” but changed my tune after it started happening.

Danny, I will join that group also! I actually wrote an article on my blog about diabetic hoarders after seeing the show Hoarders on A&E one day. I don’t really consider myself a hoarder, but I think we are forced hoarders since we have to get three months worth of stuff at a time. I have two drawers in my kitchen filled with diabetic crap and two shelves in my linen closet!

http://kellywpa.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/diabetic-hoarders/