How many of you actually have a Glucagon kit?

Hey guys, had diabetes for 20 years and never owned one of these. Only been sort of unconcious once and my mom was able to get me to “come to” with juice and food…

But i’m going on a trip to the mountains and figured i’d try to get one from my endo…my appointment isn’t until after the trip but i am thinking about calling to ask him for one.

Will he probably give me a prescription on short notice if i say i’m going on a trip? How “normal” is it for a type 1 to own one of these? No diabetics i know actually do, and i realize that this audience might be a bit more likely to own one

I have an rx and fill it when the previous one is about to expire. They’ve never been used, but it is always with me in my d-bag.

I have a friend who told me sometimes they need to use two, to come out of a dangerous low, so they keep two on hand at all times.

My when I was first prescribed insulin my endo pretty much insisted that I have one. It is a safety backup in case BG gets extremely low. I can’t imagine an endo that would deny you one.

1 Like

Wow! I thought you were only supposed to use it when you were unconcious…i’ve been as low as 30 before and just drank and ate

1 Like

My wife is the diabetic - I used one for her once - reading directions at 3AM was a little unnerving

The one I have now is outdated

they keep raising the price - over 200 dollar raise in 10+ years

over 300 dollars now - Prob still over a hundred with insurance

If you can afford it you should have one and teach those close to you how to use it

My two cents

I purchase a Glucagon kit every time I travel internationally. It is a standard supply for me. I have been ordering on for my trips for years. Better to be safe than sorry. I also have glucose tablets or sweet tarts (candies) that I carry all the time.

We have many Glucagon kits in the house. Upon initial diagnosis, our Ped Endo prescribed it and provided education on its usage. We never had a discussion about it being optional or whether we wanted it. It just appeared to be part of the standard toolkit.

When they “expire” we keep them. We pick up another 1 every six months or so. Based on other people’s posting and experiments, I do not believe the solid glucagon tablets actually expire any more than aspirin expires. The nurse at school disagrees and requires a current in-date kit to be kept on hand in the school.

I keep two PDF printouts from BC Children’s Hospital with one of the Glucagon kits in our main supply area. I think these are written extremely clearly and would be tremendously helpful in the event we needed to use the Glucagon.

Being unconscious is one reason to use the Glucagon but not the only reason. Becoming sick soon after eating and already having dosed insulin would be another reason. Throwing up all the carbs just consumed and unable to keep anything down while having a large amount of insulin in one’s system could lead to a serious problem. I consider this a realistic possibility. Things happen. People get sick. Being able to use the Glucagon in this situation would be extremely helpful.

http://www.bcchildrens.ca/endocrinology-diabetes-site/documents/glucagon.pdf

http://www.bcchildrens.ca/endocrinology-diabetes-site/documents/minigluc.pdf

6 Likes

IMHO any insulin user should have a glucagon kit. I have 3 scattered throughout my daily life. I personally have never used one before, but I have been on the receiving end more than once.

Bit frustrating how you can only get one at a time. I’d like to get a few.

In the same boat as you Christoph. In 30+ years, never used one, don’t know anyone that has (until Tud). Maybe it’s not “normal” maybe it should be? Hoping you can get some before the trip. It could be nice to test it before you need it.

Sometimes we get scripts for 2. Sometimes scripts for 1. Seems to be personal preference on the part of the Doc.

One morning after repeatedly giving my T1 Apple Juice during the night (must have been 4 or 5 different times - it was a bad low that just was not responding), my T1 said next time to just dose a mini glucagon (15 units based on body size) and be done with it. I said “OK”. lol.

We had previously tested a 15-unit glucagon on an adult relative so were able to see the effects. It raised the BG by about 75 points within about 20 minutes. The effect is probably somewhat different for different people based on size and what the underlying issue is (ie - how bad the low) and how much energy is stored in the liver at the time.

1 Like

Had one and it was used often when I was a child. It was the one shot a day time so my poor parents found me unconscious sometimes during the night. But since moving out I haven’t had one.
But while in a clinical trial, it was suggested to have one as they were not sure on side effect issues. So I called my endo and had one the next day. Fortunately still have not needed to use it.

I keep two at all times. Seldom used, always kept.

I have one or two kits at home and bring them with me when travelling. I got a prescription for one shortly after diagnosis, probably from BC Children’s Hospital, but have never had to use it. For a while, between when I was a teenager to my early 30s, I didn’t carry one because I figured no one would use it. I did get one once during that time for a camping trip.

When I switched to a new endocrinologist, he seemed to think it was unusual for someone with Type 1 not to have a kit. He asked me at every appointment if I wanted a prescription for one, and every time I declined he went on about how I really should have one, until I finally said yes.

A few years ago I saw a CDE who asked if I had glucagon, and I said that I did but that it was sort of useless since I lived alone and no one would be around to use it if I went really low. She pointed out that it wasn’t useless because it is useful for mini-dosing, as @Tim35 mentioned.

I’ve never used glucagon in my life or bought it, but in 12 years I’ve never had a hypo that incapacitated me no matter how low I’ve been. I’d probably just bring lots of glucose tablets and granola bars.

1 Like

I needed them all the time when I was a kid but (thankfully) not for the last ten years. I still keep one in my kit and always take it with me when traveling because that is the most dangerous time for my BG’s. BTW mine is expired too but since they are sooo expensive I haven’t bought a new one (but I’m sure it will work fine if I need it).

I haven’t used glucagon since I went on a pump in 1996, but I used it about 3x prior. IMHO, you should at least carry glucagon when traveling. Just my opinion and that’s what I do. Since I’ve always got at least one kit at home, there’s little reason not to bring one along.

1 Like

I have an expired one. I haven’t had glucagon used on me since probably elementary school but I did get a fresh kit before coming to college. I want to get an unexpired one soon but the cost is giving me pause, lotta money to spend on something that likely won’t get used. But I do like having them just in case, I’ll probably at least ask for a new script.

yes, even with insurance the cost is outrageous. (And yet we have advocates on this site for adding glucagon to next-gen pumping devices. sigh)

1 Like

It has never even been mentioned to me, I’m assuming because I’m not T1. My lowest was only in the 30s and I was able to deal with that on my own. My mom has had to use one on my dad (T1) once in 27 years. I don’t think he ever had one around until after his CABG when he started to experience severe lows he couldn’t treat by himself.

1 Like