Becoming the Patient: Not as Easy as It Looks

Very insightful article I found in MedScape. Recommended reading.

Becoming the Patient: Not as Easy as It Looks
Svetlana Katsnelson, MD

I felt a little pinch as the representative inserted the small needle of the insulin pump into my abdomen. Even though I am not diabetic, I was being set up with an insulin pump (filled with normal saline) as part of my endocrine fellowship training.
[...]
But I also felt guilty as I realized that it is never over for my patients. They do not get to take time off from diabetes; they live with it every day. The experience provided me with a better understanding of how to use the devices that many of our patients use every day, but it gave me much more than that. I truly began to understand how difficult it is to live with diabetes. From struggling to find moments of privacy during the day to check my fingerstick, to keeping track of every morsel I was eating to get my insulin coverage, this was an unwelcome change in my life. I realized that although we have the best intentions as healthcare providers for our patients with diabetes, we are often distanced from their experience. I have spent so much time counseling and teaching my patients that I forgot to learn from them.

While this "diabetes simulation" does offer a glimpse of life with diabetes, it did not get anywhere near the real experience. When this doctor forgot to dose for some food, she did not suffer the full on hyperglycemia that we experience.

Interesting article. At least this physician did draw some valuable experience from this role reversal.

I realized that although we have the best intentions as healthcare providers for our patients with diabetes, we are often distanced from their experience. I have spent so much time counseling and teaching my patients that I forgot to learn from them.

Listening is an art we could all get better at!

I had the same endocrinologist for about 16 years, and during that time he was diagnosed with type 2. He told me that the first time he ever had a hypo he went totally mad, and would have eaten his receptionist, if he could have. Also said he would never again ask a patient why they kept over-treating their lows :)

I think it's good to do this but this still doesn't give you an idea of what it is really like to have swinging bg, persistent unexplained highs/lows, non responding, fast dropping scary lows, impossible dp and so on.. only the real thing can do that for sure.