BG raises after hot bath--wondering why

I do take really good care of my liver. No artificial sweetners, no alcohol, organically grown food, liver-specific supplements. All my liver labs come back really good…so, I think it is within the realm of possibility that my liver’s response to BG stasis is very finely tuned–perhaps to compensate for insufficiency in other organs (Yep, I am one of the those who believe in the sentience of body tissues and organs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

This idea would also explain a couple of other times that my BG rises consistently but without intake of food…like within 15 minutes of when I get out bed and start moving around.

I thought that happens to most of us. I see my bg’s rise when I rise.

What do you attribute that rise to, @phoenixbound?

[quote=“Ahnalira, post:21, topic:46543, full:true”]
I do take really good care of my liver. No artificial sweetners, no alcohol, organically grown food, liver-specific supplements. All my liver labs come back really good…so, I think it is within the realm of possibility that my liver’s response to BG stasis is very finely tuned–perhaps to compensate for insufficiency in other organs (Yep, I am one of the those who believe in the sentience of body tissues and organs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

This idea would also explain a couple of other times that my BG rises consistently but without intake of food…like within 15 minutes of when I get out bed and start moving around.
[/quote]That is the well known DP most of us deal with. DP is Dawn Phenomenon and it happens to most diabetics and even most living things. It’s just that we must accommodate ours.

I know you were asking phoenixbound but I thought I’d answer also since I don’t struggle with DP anymore. It can be managed. You bath rise is a puzzle to be sure. I hope you are able to identify the cause.

1 Like

I can’t even tell what the argument is anymore. Are we agreeing that sugar comes out of the liver? aka liver dump, DP, or whatever else you want to call it? For T1, T2, and nondiabetics?

Happy day, @karen57 Karen57, I appreciate your jumping in.

Dawn Phenomena I understand really well. For me, it happens between 4AM and 6AM. By the time I get up at 7:30ish, it has long stabilized. I used to get it more when I was using R and N insulins. I am not seeing very much of it–if any–since I started with Lantus.

I don’t think what is happening after I get out bed and move around is DP… Here’s an example of what happens. I look at m CGM receiver when I wake up, and it’s 115. I get dressed and make my bed and go into the kitchen…typically it’s gone by about 5-10 points in that time. I take vitamins, etc, feed dogs… do a few small chores before I sit down to my computer to work (Remember, I don’t eat breakfast…just have a hot beverage) and look at my CGM receiver and it’s on the rise about 15-25 points. See how that is?

I don’t know if the glycogen-thing is even settled on. There seems so much disagreement about everything, across the board. I suggested that a particular trend in high BGs might be due to glycogen output and my Doc seemed to suggest that that wasn’t a possibility for me because I’m T1. Karen seems to hate the idea of any liver output, unless it happens in the morning. Karen doesn’t use a continuous sensor, if I remember correctly. Trying to find a baseline of agreement, from which to discuss this stuff w/o full blown mutiny.

@Ahnalira, prepare for a world of perspective change about BG that comes often after getting a Dexcom. That happened to me.

[quote=“Ahnalira, post:26, topic:46543, full:true”]
Happy day, @karen57 Karen57, I appreciate your jumping in.[/quote] Happy Day back atya!! And thanks.

[quote=“Ahnalira, post:26, topic:46543, full:true”]Dawn Phenomena I understand really well. For me, it happens between 4AM and 6AM. By the time I get up at 7:30ish, it has long stabilized. I used to get it more when I was using R and N insulins. I am not seeing very much of it–if any–since I started with Lantus.

I don’t think what is happening after I get out bed and move around is DP… Here’s an example of what happens. I look at m CGM receiver when I wake up, and it’s 115. I get dressed and make my bed and go into the kitchen…typically it’s gone by about 5-10 points in that time. I take vitamins, etc, feed dogs… do a few small chores before I sit down to my computer to work (Remember, I don’t eat breakfast…just have a hot beverage) and look at my CGM receiver and it’s on the rise about 15-25 points. See how that is?[/quote]
Good for you for knowing the DP and how yours operates and then dealing with it. I know the struggle with R and NPH and never conquered any low or high management - EVER.

Life is good with a pump but I know folks do well with MDI so Yay! Like you, I just have hot beverage for breakfast… and will enjoy an omelet if we should have guests wanting breakfast.

I never thought the DP was the cause of your bath issue btw. I just hope you can find the cause and deal with it. I can’t help but wonder about where you said “However, on nights when I don’t take a bath, the rise doesn’t happen.” I love a mystery, and I hope this one gets solved.

Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Also, Karen, the last time I posted study information. you threatened me with legal action. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

My son definitely has the opposite reaction - bg always drops.

1 Like

@karen57 I love a mystery, too! Pragmatically, I know how to adjust insulin to accommodate…I’m just fascinated by the biochemistry :wink:

@mohe0001 I read a lot of articles, and I like to watch university lectures on biochemistry (Thank you, youtube) and interviews with doctors in Functional Medicine and leading edge modalities. I find my best source of information always includes my own experience… often times, I find, the traditional docs I’ve seen are not up to date on the most recent research findings… and I love reading about the experiences and perspectives of others :relaxed:

I tested my blood sugar by finger prick a couple of times, and it was very close to the CGM receiver result so I’ve eliminated transmitter malfunction.

Last year, I tested very low across the board on all of the adrenal hormones tested: pregnenolone, DHEA, aldosterone, and cortisol. With herbs/supplements and meditation and the use of essential oils, I am slowing improving… but that’s another story. My point is that adrenal hormone functions are healing area in my physiology and very sensitive to stress, and it makes sense to me that they are involved. I will research further into how the liver is involved.

Thanks, everyone.

Hi Ahnalira:

Fwiw I see the exact same thing as you. Sugar spikes during a hot bath. It’s on cgm and meter so it’s real. I’ve found I don’t need to treat it because it just goes back down again. Below is what I see on my cgm. Took no during the period, and confirmed with finger stick.

I’ve found it’s repeatable, but the bath needs to be pretty hot (red skin). And no I don’t take as good a care of my liver as you do but my sugars are good and I’m in reasonably good health.

1 Like