Blood Sugar Management and Quality of Life

I think that’s what anyone with a chronic illness seeks, the balance between quality of life and thinking about your health issues all the time. Because diabetes varies so much person to person, how we each find that balance varies too. My BG problem is manifested by huge BG excursions, not a high average. These ups and downs have apparently been going for many years because although I’m newly diangosed, I have symptoms of peripheral and autonomic neuropathies, including hypo-unawareness. While I don’t necessarily like the idea of being hooked up to a CGM 24/7, I’m hoping it will allow me to be safer while seeing how insulin impacts my rollercoaster blood glucose levels. I remember my endo asking me once why I wanted to go on insulin. I looked him in the eye and said I don’t, I don’t want to have diabetes either but apparently I do so I want to do whatever it takes to have the best quality of life now and in the future.

Love your response, Lilli!

I have had similar with my primary and endos over the years. They sometimes(?) forget you are more than just the chronic illness sitting in front of them with boxes to be checked off for their records and insurance requirements.

Thanks for the great response, Lilli. I hope you do get more control with the cGM.

I started pumping because I could never achieve stable enough BG to safely sleep at night, the verability of basal insulin was devastating. I also believe if I’m going to pump then I just as well wear a CGM…only a few minutes of maintenance every week. I was very absesive about my BG for many years and told myself that I would retire early and enjoy my life without any complications…but this proved to be a foolish attitude and at 60 years I was Dx with hepatic cellular carcinoma…I was a fool to think diabetes was the center of my problems and if I could beat the Bete’s everything was going to be good…there are plenty
more obstacles to overcome in our lives.

The Bete’s will not define my life and neither will my pump or CGM, Diabetes will not be a part of my legacy…(I suspect there are some people that want to live in the bete’s spotlight) we can never judge what’s right or wrong.

It really is very individual, isn't it? It's great that this is such an open discussion and no one is claiming any one "right" way. We are all different and there is no one size approach. That's why I love this community!

I vacillate for sure. In order to have better numbers, I have to be VERY vigilant. Which leads me to be more than a little obsessive. I can handle that sometimes but at other times I need to step back and reconsider what level of vigilance is healthy for me at a psychological level. It waxes and wanes for sure.

Thanks, John; yes, you are right, you never know what life will hand you. I am currently visiting a friend with Stage IV breast cancer and feel foolish even mentioning my D!

You got it, Crystal, it is definitely about balancing emotional health and physical.

And I agree, I love the way this site is so based on YDMV!

The "vigil" for most is a meaningful problem.

The information gathered which whispers fear, teaches us gnawing doubts, or ever becomes anxiety (or worse) damages our quality of life fundamentally.

Not popular, but true regardless. The approach itself must change

I think this really depends. Rollercoaster blood sugars and having no idea where you might land next can be just as damaging and stressful as having too much information to attend to constantly.

Great point Jen and so true:)

I was diagnosed at the age of 2 and am now 52 so I have had to deal with it for 50 years! I am T1 and have always been what they used to call "brittle" meaning very small changes in diet, exercise or medication has a huge effect on me. IMHO I have only ever had a life I was given by the wonders of medicine but I have had "NO" quality to it. That may sound very pessimistic but I have no choice but to be meticulous about my diabetes management. Even being meticulous I have had a triple bypass in my mid 40's, almost lost an eye, have had cateracts in both eyes, have severe panic attacks, you name it. Consider yourself lucky if you even feel able to entertain the ideas you speak of in your article. Some of us are not nearly as lucky!

This is so true for me, Jen. Having more information, while appearing burdensome at first thought, actually allows me to tame the roller coaster at least most of the time.

This seriously downgrades the BG drama. Now I make smaller timely tweaks to my insulin dosing rather than large late corrections with insulin or glucose and a trip on the gluco-coaster.

Thank you for checking in with your D story, Roger; I'm glad you're here with us. Happy New Year and I hope 2015 brings you small pleasures and satisfactions.

I consider my CGM a huge Safety blanket which increases my quality of life. Some people can’t handle all the data and it drives them crazy. For me not having a CGM is like driving blindfolded. Your A1C indicates you spend a fair amount of time taming the tiger and the methods you devised for management is working.

Thanks for weighing in, Jim, and congrats on your wonderful A1C! The lowest I've had is 5.9; I prefer the 5's, but am fine with low 6's.

Hi Zoe and Happy New Year! Like you, I was diagnosed at 58, just 2 years ago, and I think this gives me a different perspective. I have had my wild days, so adjusting to a diet has not been overly stressful (although I miss my daily M&Ms and I would kill for a cigarette). I was also wondering if a CGM would be a benefit, and so far I am leaning towards a no for me for the same reasons as you! I am OCD enough without that CGM, and it is the quality of life that you mention that makes sense for me as well. I am so glad you helped me to put my current decision into words! I have always had A1C under 7, most recently at 6.6. Currently I am aiming for a 6.2, but my D and I have an understanding that works for the the 2 of us for now! Great question–and thank you for helping me to verbalize my current decision!

Well put, Dee and sounds like what you are doing is working just fine!

I'm 19 years old, diagnosed at 14, and I hated the CGM when I had it. It didn't fit into my work environment (college classes). It beeped constantly and was so inaccurate! So many people on here love it. I try to control my BG as much as possible, but I'm never going to pass up an opportunity to enjoy my life because it'll affect my blood sugar. We can make smart swaps (getting chicken tenders instead of fries at 2am, ordering a salad if you know you're going to have ice cream later, etc.) but life is meant to be enjoyed, not planned down to the milligram! The CGM made me absolutely neurotic, and I'm a mellow, Type B sort of person. It was terrible. My control is actually better now because I'm not obsessed with it.

Thanks for weighing in, Leah; you sound like you have a very sound approach to your D and your life!. And I say that not just because you are one of the few who feel the same way I do about CGM's!