Broken Dexcom Line

My Dexcom line had a lot of gaps today when coming down quickly from a high. I don’t remember seeing this before but I also haven’t had many highs or crashes since getting it. Do the lines get broken when BG is changing fast or is it possible the transmitter is getting old, I’ve had it about 7 months?

I’m not sure you have any time gaps there.The BG is changing rapidly. If you could upload the data to the Dexcom Studio software, you could see the time stamp on adjacent data points and verify that they are only 5 minutes apart. You just float your cursor over the dot.

That’s not a bad line.

If there are missed readings, it could be because the transmitter is getting old. My current transmitter is now around 8 months old and the signal strength is definitely much less than it was. I now get a signficant number of “missed” data points and “tranmitter-out-of-range” warnings at night. The transmitter is supposed to have a range of around 4 metres but this is now down to about a foot or two.

Joel

I didn’t know you could look at time stamps on each dot, thanks @Terry4 I’ll take a look. There were double down arrows part of the time so maybe just changing to fast.

I thought I’d heard they last around 6-7 months @jjm335 so I keep waiting to get a message it’s going, not sure how long it lasts once it starts to fade though…?

the breaks are definitely from the transmitter not talking to the receiver. The transmitter is supposed to last 6 months but mine has lasted longer. I’d call Dexcom. You line looks good!!

My first transmitter and receiver lasted 18 months. Dexcom folks were shocked! It has been a year for the second one. But, I know they vary in how long they last.

I’d agree with @Terry4 that the steepness of the descent is definitely a possibility, as opposed to a transmission failure. In addition to his suggestion re downloading the data, you are aware that you can expand or contract the timeline on your receiver as well, right? Pushing the up arrow would increase the resolution to just the last hour, which would make it easier to spot the time intervals and see if an actual gap is involved.

Of course, that’s a simpler and better solution. Sometimes my brain goes right past simple and eagerly dives into the more complex. The one-hour display will quickly reveal any missing five minute data points.

I don’t think the OP’s image shows transmitter weakness.

1 Like