Bruising near injection site

I use humlog pen with every meal as well as Balsgar at night. I have frequently used the zig zag pattern on my stomach. I have tried my thigh as well and the bruising was significantly worse. does anybody suggest a lotion or cream. Thank you

Not sure if you could use it as a preventative, but arnica gel is great for getting rid of bruises fast. Rub it in maybe once or twice a day for a day or two and the bruise should be completely gone by then. You can get a tube online or in your local drugstore.

2 Likes

When you are injecting with a pen or syringe, there is a trick you can adopt.
Just above veins are nerves that are 3x more sensitive than other parts of your skin.
When I was on MDI, I learned to touch my skin with the top of the needle and gauge the pain, if it’s a lot, I’ll move it an inch.
Otherwise I go for it.
I still use this method for inserting infusion sets because I put them in manually.

If you pay attention and learn how it feels, you can eliminate bruising all together.

3 Likes

I am on MDI and get over 50 shots out of a pen needle so your method is what I use as well or would have to decrease the number of injections before changing needles due to pain as the tip starts to bend.

I can verify that the arnica gel works great. I had a huge bruise when I broke my hip, and more bruising from the IV they put in my arm when I had surgery to fix my hip. Took awhile, but was very effective!

2 Likes

Thank you all for the great advice. :smiley: