By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes

Ok, so not my thumbs and this doth belong to a Mr. William Shakespeare, however here I am at 1:30 in the a.m. with a BG of 450 and climbing five hours after dinner. Guess who’s never having Chinese food again . . . that’s right, ME!
Oh well, the testing shall continue and so shall the bolusing. Let’s hope I get some sleep tonight and don’t end up in DKA. Good thing I don’t have a job to report to early in the morning . . . wait, maybe that’s not really a good thing lol.

After a correction when will you re check your blood sugar?

*&^%#@ Chinese food!

Hope you get the BS down and some sleep.

Due to the rapid rise my BG is undergoing I’ve opted for every 30 minutes on this occasion.

Been there with Chinese food–ouch. Don’t think there’s ever enough insulin to cover it. Never again for me, too.

Hope you get some sleep & the numbers come down soon!

Make Sure to drink a lot of water, to help flush your system. and keep on checking your blood sugars… yeah Chinese is terrible. good luck to you. and the water will also help you stay hydrated, they put a lot of things to substitute in Chinese food that makes you dehydrated.

3:51 a.m. update: I finally got it to stop rising an hour ago and now I’m down to 246. Still not good enough for bed, but a little bit closer. On the bright side my daughter will wake up in about three and a half hours from now and want my full attention . . . guess I do have a job after all :slight_smile:

Progress!

That’s the most important job in the world.

Dear Mr. Dieabeatus (President and CEO of Diabetes Inc.),
I am writing to inform you that tonight will be my last night with your company. I am resigning my post as Type 1 Diabetic effective immediately. I wish you hell and a plague upon both your houses.
Sincerely,
Pavlos.

If only it were that easy huh? Well just when I thought I was on the path to bed Mr. Die-a-beat-us threw a curve ball at me and started spiking my numbers again. I just changed infusion sets, reservoirs, and used a new insulin vial in hope that will finally do the trick. Looks like I’m in for a drawn out brawl though since I bolused an amount that should have dropped me by 220 points but instead only managed 12. To add insult to injury I’m beginning to run low on strips. Let’s hope I’ll beat this before I run out or I’ll be knocking on Rite Aid’s doors hoping for a cleaning service to answer and sell me some.

LOL! I’m writing a letter, too. If only.

So sorry you’re still struggling to get down. Do you ever use syringes to correct? I don’t have a pump, but have read that others do with stubborn highs.

Dr. Bernstein labelled this Chinese dinner rightly!

I hate it when that happens.

It’s not completely unpredictable but it’s often a matter of guesstimating. Avoiding obvious carbs helps, but there are sometimes ingredients in restaurant food, especially sauces, that it’s impossible to account for. Experience, a carb counting book, frequent testing and experience help. And experience.

I had Chinese a couple of weeks ago and my blood sugars were like you Pavlos. Up, down, up, down. Bolus, bolus, bolus only to see little dips. However, I did not have as long of a night as you did. Mine finally settled down enough 9 hours after eating. We ate at around 2 pm, so was able to sleep. I did feel dreadful in the morning. I would like to say that I will give it up, but boy it is good. It will be awhile before I partake again, but I will probably eat it someday. I am just going to have to be a little more careful, if that is possible.

You prick your thumbs??? Nope not me ! THAT HURTS!!! Hope your bs gets better with the bolus!!!

No, I don’t use my thumbs. It was just a quote from Macbeth I felt was cunningly apropos.

Well as a final update: around 5:30 a.m. I managed to get my BG down to 216 and according to the pump I had (for the first time all night) enough insulin still active to get me to normal levels eventually. I know I shouldn’t have, but I gave up and went to bed. I woke up about 30 minutes ago with a perfect 100 (I haven’t had one those in years I think). I had the weirdest dreams, but I won’t bore you with the details.

Chinese food is out (the American version of it anyway). I’m done with it. The crazy thing is that used to love (still do) Chinese food and I ate there almost on a daily basis when I was at my old job. I think the only difference is in what I ordered this time (Black Pepper Chicken with white rice and fried dumplings). Usually I go with items that have very little sauce, I eat their oil and onion potatoes instead of rice and while I did spike for a couple of hours after it always settled down with only one extra correction afterwards.

Anyway, thank you to those of you who were awake and had some words of encouragement during that mini-ordeal. I’m kind of hungry now . . . Hong Kong Buffet anyone? :slight_smile:

Chinese food is the ultimate evil in my books. It doesn’t matter how I organize my boluses for it, I always get the screaming high bgl’s afterwards. So it’s a once in a blue moon treat.

The Macbeth quote was great & the one from Romeo & Juliet. Both were apropos:)

I love Asian food also & would kill for steamed dumplings, but can’t get near it with a 10’ chopstick. Even forgoing rice, it sends me skyrocketing. Cornstarch & sugar in sauces, plus the amount of oil used, is a BG disaster. No more Chinese or Thai for me. Sushi (sashimi) sans rice works.

Glad you got sleep & awoke to a perfect 100.

The only Asian food I eat is chicken teriyaki. That way I can see each item separately on my plate. Chicken, rice, veggies.

When I taught English I was invited by some of my Chinese students to their house for dinner. We had something called “hot pot” where you have an assortment of veggies and meats to choose from and you dip what you want in a large pot of very hot water mixed with spices. No sauces (well I could choose to add some on my own if I wanted to), no hidden ingredients, just good old boiled veggies and meats with herbs. Delicious meal and very carb friendly! I do love Asian cuisine, but I think the restaurant variety will have to wait until after I’m cured (yes, I will be cured, I will, I will, I will!).
Makes me feel sorry (in a way) for all those non-diabetics who are eating Chinese food not knowing what kind of a work out their giving their pancreas. Scratch that . . . I don’t feel sorry for them ::evil grin::