Can you go a week with no Lows or Highs?

Not a chance. I've gone through a rough patch for the last month in which I'm happy to get a day of stable numbers. (Still working on tweaking things to get out of this mess!). But even during a normal time, a week would be a long time to not have even a minor high or low.

If you give me a generous range like 3.5 - 11.1 (60 - 200), then I've managed to stay within that range for four days out of the past month (30 days).

Make that range more narrow, like 4 - 10 (70 - 180), and I've only had one day out of the past 30 where I've stayed there.

Make it something "ideal" like 4 - 8 (70 - 140) and I've had zero days where I've stayed there.

So, to make a long story short, assuming the range were 4 - 10 (70 - 180), I can hardly go a day without going high or low, never mind a week!

No.

Last night I ate 1/2 of a frozen meal (kitchen remodeling) which was 25 carbs. Two hours after eating I was 40. That is kind of low....and I treated a little aggressively. Not outrageous--a juice box and 1 cookie. 242 this morning. Highs and lows--no matter how hard I try ot what I do--they are always there.

Nope.

Well I guess I am normal then. :)

Not so far.

I have had no lows for seven days, last one was the middle of the night last sunday and it's bedtime sunday agains, so pretty much exactly a week for me. I have had highs, though, but I think the highest in the last 7 days was probably about 215, which I don't consider the end of the world.

I have had periods of time where it was normal for me to go 7 days and longer, I think much longer, without going outside of a very narrow range, like 65 to 100. It took a fair amount of work to get there and really have everything down cold (I don't have the patience for this now that I've got kids to chase after), but once I figured it out it wasn't that labor intensive. I was eating VERY little carbohydrate, though, and using very little insulin compared to my normal, anyway. I believe I had gotten myself down to about 17 units a day total.

ETA: I'm not sure if I'd want to live my life that way, though. I was super determined back then because I wanted to have kids and I had never had my diabetes under very good control at all. It worked, the kids are awesome. :) But I can't quite imagine doing anything like that again. It's kinda creepy to have your blood sugar be the center of your universe.

ETA again: Good grief, just looked over the other replies and I'm surprised I'm the only one who claims to have done this. lol I really have though. My target point was 95 and my blood sugar was almost never outside of the 90 to 95 range except for in the morning when it was more like 65-70. Maybe I am a medical miracle. During my first pregnancy, I was able to harness that power a bit, but pregnancy throws you some loops. I had more lows then, but almost never any highs, at least till I was near the end. My a1c's were between 4.2 and 5.5. If it makes me seem more human, though, when I am bad I am very bad. lol I am kind of all or nothing about a lot of things.

I am the same as you as far as being super careful when I was pregnant and indeed it is the only time in my 37 D years that I have had an A1C in the 5's, but the stress was really unbearable and creepy doesn't even begin to describe the blood sugar as the center of the universe thing, but once through it and with a healthy child there was no chance of me going back to that kind of life where D ruled everything. Besides who had time there was a baby to take care of?

Sooooo me!!

Me too!!

wowsa

No.

Aggressive exercise on the mountain and road bikes makes my sweeps pretty radical. I've been doing the BIGBLUETEST.org thing for the past few weeks now, tracking my sugars before and after riding, and I am just all over the map. There's just no way to hold them 'in line' when climbing 2,500 vertical feet over 16 miles in the dirt in 1 hour 45 minutes. That's life (with D).

/\/\

no magic pill/formula??

I can sympathize with Michael. I don't mountain bike, but any extended period of exercise will send my BGs dropping. For me it's jiujitsu training. Just looking at a mat is worth a 20 point drop.

If there is going to be a magic pill/formula, please, please, please, please, please, don't let it be wasted on trying to even out my BGs during exercise.

I want it to fix my immune system and give me new islet cells.

Oooo, and a new pony, please.

=)

Every morning is different. Every blood sugar is different. Every ride is different. After 30 years of this, I don't ever expect things to 'settle in' to some sort of routine. It's just impossible (for me -- I do get it that there are others out there who do much better at this than me!!). I try not to overreact to things, but sometimes I overload in order to offset an aggressive low. I just try to stay out of the dungeon when I'm on the bike. My Dexcom helps immeasurably with that since I can now see trends and stay in front of things. Still, it ain't perfect.

/\/\

Yesterday a 1/2 hour walk, started at 177 ended up in the 80's and felt like crap.

I think that the "delta" or change in BG levels can produce symptoms pretty readily. When I used to correct w/ IV shots, I'd blast away at 350 or so and test in 15 minutes and be at like 150 but already be starting to sweat, get a bit frazzled, etc. but the "peak valley" still would be 15 minutes off. If you had like 5G of carbs, you'd have been ***perfect***!!

I have a better chance of going to the moon.

I'm excited to go a whole day (it's rare), let alone a whole week!