Can you measure blood glucose in breath?

Here is an interesting French company working on a device to measure blood glucose in breath, have a listen: Can you measure glucose in your breath? - YouTube

2 Likes

I believe that it is possible, however, so many factors can hurt the result. Last read, eating candy for instance might change the result.

If the candy was glucose based. But most candy is not. However sucrose is part fructose part glucose so it might interfere. I suppose a rinsing protocol would be necessary
I think the watch idea with non invasive reader is where we are headed. However I’ve seen glucose sensitive tattoos. Which was amazing to see hen I was in Amsterdam for a conference many years ago. There were 10 dots and would progressively darken to indicate where you were and it seemed pretty accurate.

I have seen those tattoos. Or at least I think I have seen them. I know when my uncle came home from “being away at the military” for 17 years he had several dots on his arm. He said that every time he was ill he needed sugar.

But my grandma said he did not have diabetes. However his dots were on his arm in a straight line. and it seemed almost everyday he got new ones. I suppose it was inevitable that he reenlisted. I lost touch after he reenlisted for another 38 years. Sadly he did not make it home after the war. I was never told which one. I think it was admirable that he was buried at an odd place. He willed his body to the science after his final days when he had his head shaved and was given a large shock of electricity to persevere his body for future scientific endeavor.

Is that any way to treat veterans? I think he deserves at least a purple heart.

1 Like

Diabetes is one of those diseases thst prevent military service. Don’t know what happens if you are diagnosed while serving

He was in a special branch of the all state of Indiana military never reserve solders. I believe he was stationed at Michigan City / Pendleton and Westview Indiana.

My grandma was very proud of his extended commitment to our nation’s security. So were the local police especially when the announcement of his electrical difficulties came.

I was also happy for his electrical difficulties, lest he come home once again.

So kinda like this, only tattooed on your arm:

D5117

2 Likes

Here are a few different biosensetive tattoos. Glucose being one. But they don’t look exactly like the one I saw years ago. But the one with the capital I.s is close to the way it worked

1 Like

Medical record goes before a medical review board for decision whether service member can stay on duty with medical restrictions or be discharged. Before I retired from the Air Force, T2D was considered an acceptable risk for continued service. However, could not be stationed outside the continental US or be deployed unless controlled with diet and exercise. T1D more likely to be discharged. Other services may have been/be different.

It has changed with all the emphasis on deployments. Less likely to be allowed to stay in, due to not being deployable.

1 Like

My uncle might have been discharged except for the fighting and stabbing he kept being involved in. Or as my grandmother used to say damn the army for not letting my Billie out. His name was Jake we do not know who Billie was, but we knew what she didn’t mean.