Can you truly be happy with Type 1? PLEASE RESOND

kudos

Amen!

You know what, I was this confident teenager that had a big group of friends, pretty good grades at school and new exactly where I wanted to go in my lifeeeā€¦ Then I get diagnosed. The person I thought I was - able to conqour anything and not get scared of itt - abandoned me. I was left scared, lonely, confused. I dropped out of school and forced everyone away from me. It took me two years to get out of that state and be where I am today. Iā€™m now figuring out who I am all over again and I love it because Iā€™m learning about the real me. I know where I want to go in life, and I know I can make it. My family support me and Iā€™m able to give them the burden every now and again because I know I canā€™t do this on my own.
I think what Iā€™m getting to is, itā€™s hard Iā€™m not going to lie. There are days when you wonder how your going to make it, whether when the sun comes up tomorrow your going to be sane with it. But before you can build yourself back up you have to hit the bottom. So let it out, show it for what it is. Only then can you learn from it and work out a way to deal with it. Youā€™ll be stronger, happier for it I guarantee it =)
If you need to cry, cry. If you need to shout, shout. If a day comes when its going good and your not angered by the big D, smile about it, donā€™t be ashamed.
Take it step by step, and take care of yourself!!

My attitude is very much ā€˜life is what you make itā€™ā€¦Iā€™ve been type 1 for a number of years, I have many of the well documented complications including retinopathy - Iā€™ve just been informed I have to have more laser treatment - (deep joy) but my attitude is that there are many people in this world far worse of than me. Life is for living, get on with it!

thatā€™s a big YES from me!! :slight_smile:

Hello dear,

I am a diabetic since 12 years. I am happy. I am helthy. I am a Phd holder in Financial engineering. I do whaterver i want to do. I fly a plane, i go camping, i sky, i am just better than millions of helathy sad people.

Itā€™s all in your head my dearā€¦ Deal with it and be strong. Look at other people around you who are without legs or bliend or with cancer. You should thank god that you are in controle of your life. Treat it as your friend not enimy. You can do it like i did. Dont be dramatic about it. Dont think too much about how you get it, think about how you deal with it. You will not die from diabetes unless you want to.

Look at the full part ofthe glass. So what if you have diabetes. Therer are kids with diabetes. They were born with it and living with it. Are they better than you, would you be a good exampl for them.

God you depressed me with your comment and you needed awake up call that you will thank me for one day. My grand father had a type 1 diabetic and he had a second wife at the age of 65 and bring 7 kids from her. He died at the age of 87. You can be as strong as he was or you can chose to have a heart attack from being too afraid.

Wake up dood. There is alot ahead of you. Long life to enjoy with your gf. You should thank god that you have her and your family supporting you. Be there for them and dont let them down.

I am not saying here its easy to manage diabetes. Its hell. But you should be stronger than diabbtes and defeat it.

I wish yo all the best .Remember, there is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Regads,

Bebo

I guess itā€™s a little different for me - Iā€™ve had type one since I was twelve so I basically grew up with the disease. But I will say that reaching out to those in the diabetes community can really help. When I was first diagnosed I went to ā€œchildren with diabetesā€ support groups that were sponsored by the local hospitals and to diabetic summer camps. Getting to talk, and even joke!, with people who were not only my age but were going through the same thing as I was helped more than any kind of pep talk from a family member or friend. So maybe joining a local group would be helpful? Talk to people who are dealing with type one in your community - not just online. :slight_smile:

It can be hard work some times, believe me. For me it was working on acceptance. This is just part of my daily routine. Once you get past the learning curve all the intricate things you have to remember to do will become just as normal as remembering to brush your teeth in the morning. Orā€¦that is what it was like for me anyhow!

Marty:

I have a suggestion and i hope you will consider it carefully. I am a type 1, have been for 35 years now and i just hate this disease. That is my confession. Now, When I was 17 and got the disease, I went on a three year drunk. I felt terrible and darn me killed myself. So here is my suggestion. Get to therapy. I tell all new diabetics especially young ones, that if I had a chance for therapy 35 years ago, it would have made all the difference in my life. No, you will never outrun the disease, and likely never outlive it either, but you can learn to lvie with it and yes be happy. I hate this disease, but I have learned to live with it and have found ways to cope. I suggest therapy immediately and for a prolonged period. I am 52 and in many ways i screwed up my life because of D. Donā€™t do that. instead of living with regret and fear do the work and you will feel better.

rick phillips

Time to ad my second short comment : ā€¦" get a dog ," if you can , just wonderful to have a pet " DOG " ( from the SPCA or Humane Society ) ā€¦this will make you and the DOG happy and good for the blood pressure too ā€¦
ask me :wink: ā€¦type one for over 26 years .

i agreeā€¦get a pet!! my cat makes me happy and provides hours of laughter in my week :slight_smile:

x2!!
i run for the same reason!

I was not a happy camper for the first year that I was diagnosed with diabetes. But as I gained better understanding and control of my diabetes, things got better for me emotionally.

Chin up, keep your stick on the ice.

I can say now that yes, as someone with type 1 diabetes, you can be truly happy.

I believe you can be truly happy with Type 1 diabetes. Pretty much I just live with it. I think many people on these boards tend to be very anal about there level of management and it makes some of us who donā€™t achieve that level feel bad. Iā€™ve been a Type 1 for 54 years since I was 4. Yes there were times it sucked, but today with all the technology it is so easy to manage and takes so little time . It will take a while to get used to. Just like a death there is a grieving period but that too will pass. I will now go to my non paid advertisiment. I went on the OmniPod 3 1/2 years ago and it is so transparent that I no longer even feel diabetic. I never even know where I am wearing it and I just bolus when eating. I wish it had always been this easy. (eg. in the early days we had to boil a test tube of urine and benedict solution for 5 minutes several times a day to test urine sugar, now that was a true pain) Good luckl.

Marty, youā€™ll find youā€™re happier when you spend more time thinking about what you do have in your life that you like and love than cursing diabetes. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s easy, but you will learn to deal with it and ride with the ups and downs. Iā€™ve had type 1 37 years and some days itā€™s like I got it yesterday, and others I can really appreciate that itā€™s not cancer which a dear friend of, the same age as me, fifty five, just died of. Look for the light rather than curse the darkness. Thereā€™s a lot of scientific information coming out about how positive emotions lift your whole spirit. Barbara Fredrickson, a scientist at NC University at Chapel Hill is doing a lot of work in this area and you might like to check out my book, ā€œThe ABCs Of Loving Yourself with Diabetesā€ on Amazon, itā€™s written specifically to energize positive emotions which make living with diabetes a whole lot easier. riva

That is one hell of a response eh ! For me I have been at war with this thing for 20yrs, at times I was in self destruct mode, but as I got older I realised I have to win this. I donā€™t know if you can be truly happy with T1, it takes a lot of the enjoyment outta life, but what can we do, we just have to get on with it. If we werenā€™t dealing with the D, we would no doubt focus on something else to worry about. We live in a pretty priviledged part of the world and itā€™s important that we realise just how lucky we are.

What you are feeling is normal. Give yourself time to adjust to this. It is a major life change. My son who is seven was diagnosed last July. He only recently started to somewhat accept his Diabetes. We always tell him what he does have that is great. He can walk, play and do everything anyone else can. That is a blessing.

Itā€™s important to talk to someone about how you are feeling. Donā€™t bottle it up inside.

Marty,

The short answer is No!!! After 30 years with Type 1 Diabetes, I can honestly say you will never achieve the same level of happiness non diabteics have. This disease robs you of so much. And as the years go by, it continues to rob you more and more. Its sad, but true. Juts be smart and donā€™t have children. Protect them from this horrible disease!!

That is the rudest and most arrogant thing you have said Ryan.

I have just had twins. I am type 1. Am I just not smart now? SCREW THAT. You can be happy with Type 1. Just because YOU arenā€™t happy, donā€™t bring others down in your misery and pity party.

I donā€™t think itā€™s a good idea not to have children because of T1. I put this question forward before as the question of whether it would be fair to have children or not had passed through my mind. The response was basically that this disease can show up at any time anywhere and we should not deny ourselves the right to have children. It is one of the most important reasons for our being on this planet. T1ā€™s pay more attention to their health than most other individuals. Children are not for the priveleged few.

I was just being honestā€¦ geez!!! Are we having a bad hair day??? Talk about being rude!!