Can your insulin pump be taken away while in the hospital?

So glad that your husband will be coming home soon Tapestry, so that you can get him back on track.

Also glad that you could help the guy in church. I know that I am old fashioned but I never give insulin without eating. My worst fear is not having enough glucose in my purse to save myself, so I probably carry more than I need.

1 Like

Literally? You never bolus to correct a high bg?

If she hasn’t, bet she will soon now that she has her shiny new Dexcom G5:rofl:

1 Like

LOL! you may be right!

1 Like

Oh sorry Dave. I don’t give pre meal shots without eating.

That diabetic educator was using ‘fighting words.’ Shouldn’t be tolerated.

Check out this post, Marilyn: Insulin at the hospital

Believe me Mohe, I didn’t tolerate her words. Once I was released though, she called me and kindly helped me set up an appointment with a new cardiologist. So not all bad.

The article you linked sounds horrible. That hospital is just waiting for a law suit. Glad that woman survived.

1 Like

I also went through the you have to disconnect your pump for the stay routine. And I told the attending that wasn’t going to happen. So 30 minutes later a CDE came in and talked with me for a few minutes, tried again to get me to disconnect and failed. She came back 30 minutes later with a bunch of forms I needed to fill out and sign so I would be attending to my blood sugars.
Thankfully, I filled out all the very outdated forms (sliding scale?), and stayed overnight in observation waiting to do stress test and echo test the next morning. They wanted me at 150 before test. No problem with pump and CGM all working.
When I saw my endo a few weeks later, I said it was because this hospital has no endo in the building but one on call. And I should have made them call the one call doctor. But I felt I handled it pretty well! I got what I wanted and they didn’t have to think about my diabetes except for recording my blood sugars that I did and insulin that I gave myself.
And when I had my two children, it was written in the orders that I had control over my own dosing. So very cool when you and your medical team trust each other!
Hopefully you are heading towards a complete recovery! Hoping and praying for you! Keep fighting for what you need and want!

1 Like

Of all my stays in hospitals for surgery, only one, O’Connor Hospital, San Jose, had a jackass administration that made me sign forms right after I fired the idiotic, dumb, moron-of-an endo that I had for my hospital stay because it was across town so my regular endo didn’t have hospital privileges. That had to be the most stressful hospital stay I’ve experienced. Not only was the surgery devastating, but the care and admin was the pits. How that endo ever got or kept his license was beyond me. I think my blood pressure goes up just thinking about it, which occurred in 1995.

At another hospital which is excellent, my very good endo that I had for a short time, calculated the amount of insulin to be infused into the IV bags that I was on for about 4 days. He was brilliant and I have never had such great bg’s in all my years as a diabetic, but that takes an endo who REALLY KNOWS HIS STUFF!!

The last time I was in the hospital, everyone had their act together as far as letting me control my diabetes. The paramedics that picked me up didn’t do a finger prick because I gave them the number from my CGM. Likewise in the ER. No one asked for any details once they saw my CGM and pump.

When I got to the room, no one asked for my pump nor did they take a finger prick. The asked for my BG which I supplied from my G6.

They did give me grief about a prescription med my wife delivered. They took it to have it to get their pharmacy’s stamp of approval. But when the saw it was from a Canadian pharmacy they told me I couldn’t use it. I told them I’d walk out if they didn’t let me use it and they backed down.

2 Likes

You were transported to the ER for what I presume was an emergency, but you said you would “walk out” if you couldn’t use your med. Had they stabilized you to the point where you could have permanently left the hospital at that point?

They admitted me for observation, which I felt was overkill but I begrudgingly agreed to do it. Wouldn’t have bothered me one bit to leave as that was my instincts prior to admission. I was brought to the ER from my gym after I passed out from dehydration. When they did the blood work in the ER my CK level was elevated which to me was a ‘duh’ because CK levels normally rise after a vigorous workout. When I talked to my regular doctor after discharge he said there was no reason they should have kept me. He said they should have sent you home with instructions to have a follow-up CK level measured a few days later.

Should have also mentioned the medicine is EXTREMELY expensive in the US ($35K/year), which is way I get it from Canada. I could only imagine what they would charge me for a couple pills…

2 Likes

If their census is low they may opt to keep patients that may not really need to stay longer.

2 Likes

Just a quick FYI to hospital stays. They are looking into clinical trials using CGMs in hospitals for people with diabetes. Just think how much easier that one would be for all medical professionals having to trained on using them for inpatient use. No more questions! And I would hope everyone would have access to the device, whether tests or surgery or whatever has us admitted to the hospital.

4 Likes

I seriously doubt that would occur at all hospitals and cover all nurses and doctors!

1 Like

When I was in DKA and vacationed in the ICU, they had me on an insulin drip which was far more effective in controlling my blood sugars. When I wanted to restart my pump, I had to sign a document saying I was now in control. I agreed with their process and procedures as it makes total sense. Obviously the hospital wants to know, if not manage, everything that goes in your body and has a certain liability there.

3 Likes

Interesting. Where the heck was that? If you dont mind me asking. IV insulin pretty cool.

Intensive care unit at the hospital. I had a bad infusion site and it all went sideways on me in a hurry.

1 Like

If the hospital provides a pump while you are a patient who would control it. Isn’t that the biggest fear, giving up control of your insulin.

The hospital I HAVE to use (HMO) requires that I “surrender” ,y pump, CGM and meter! So, I am never gonna be admitted there if I have any control over the situation. And that policy was written by their Endo dept. The typical 4 fingersticks a day don’t cut it with me. Pre-CGM I was 10-15 fingersticks a day, aggressively micro-managing by T1D. I also have to add that I have noticed that the Endo dept has a very low opinion of patients and our capabilities. One time they handed me a policy statement implying they cold take my pump from me if I didn’t follow their rules (they prefer an A1C of 7.5 at the time!) I told them no they couldn’t - they could call Tandem and see that I paid out of pocket for my pump. It was mine.

2 Likes