CGM On Your Dashboard?

Your diabetes data on your dashboard while you drive! Would that be helpful, or would it be distracting?

http://www.healthline.com/diabetesmine/diabetes-data-in-cars-wearenotwaiting![MedtronicCGMcar2008|448x299](upload://aWmG7hAiy63YLZgTMTYOqb9Cote.jpg)

2 Likes

Maybe useful for a long drive, if it is several hours.

But for a short drive it seems kinda pointless because you should always know your BG and its direction before you start driving.

3 Likes

Might be useful - especially on a long drive. I wear a smartwatch and get my BG displayed there, so it would be supplemental.

1 Like

I don’t want my passengers seeing my #s, no matter how good they may or may not be. Why not display blood alcohol content? Or vital signs?

6 Likes

Our state has BAC ignition interlock requirement for first time DUI offenders. I would be all thumbs up for a readout on the interlock which would let a passenger know the BAC of the driver. Absolutely. I think that is a great idea you have.

I seriously get your privacy point of view. Certainly I value my privacy. However the passengers are putting their lives in the hands of the driver. Literally. Riding in a car is the most dangerous thing most people will ever do and most of them don’t give it a second thought whether they are the driver or the passenger.

3 Likes

None of my friends nor family have type 1. They have no idea what is involved in living with it, they have no clue about what a bg graph in real time can tell them. No idea about trends. etc. So putting that info on the screen would violate my privacy and elicit unwanted questions. I get enough ignorant bullying as is, I don’t need more. Being a passenger and driving are both choices. If not having my cgm reading on the dash is a problem, then they can choose to use alternate transportation IMHO.

1 Like

One of the reasons I like to use a watch for CGM display is for driving. There are times when I wonder what Caleb’s BG is (when he’s not with me) and I haven’t thought about it before getting into the car. Or there are times that he texts me while I’m driving and I will listen to that via Car Play and respond via Car Play. Having the visual to quickly glance at would be helpful - not necessary at all, just a nice to have on occasion.

3 Likes

I’ve been lucky, I suppose – I’ve practically never been asked prying questions. I frequently use infusion sites in plain view, but no one has been rude or invasive about it. In the 4+ years that I’ve used the CGM, I think I’ve been asked about it three times - once a simple inquiry in the locker room of a gym by a very old, close friend. The other two times were PWD who saw the CGM and inquired because they’d been considering getting one themselves!

Yes - driving and, for me, also when I exercise or ride a bike. Makes a quick check simple and unobtrusive! Also useful for work situations like meetings, but then it’s a bit of a double-edged sword, since alarms are just annoying at times like that! (Watch helps, though!! :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

Me too, I wear a smartwatch but have found the stereo display useful when driving. Plus it looks nice…lol. Passengers normally dont mind what my bg level is (they certainly ask).

3 Likes

It was interesting to read your post because it reminds me of how I can get tunnel vision on something. I was seeing the Dashboard CGM strictly as showing my BG numbers.

I didn’t even think about a parent having it on for their child. I think that seems like a very useful thing for a parent.

3 Likes

I could see that if someone did a lot of driving long distances it would be very handy. I know that I’ve gone low on a drive home when I did drive 100 miles or so. Seems it is so much easier to do when one has to eat away from home and often has to really guess about carb counts. I seldom drive far, though, so it wouldn’t be too useful for me. If I did have it, though, I surely wouldn’t worry about anyone else seeing it, as my partner and I never have anyone else with us in the vehicle.

3 Likes

Good idea. It might freak my passengers out though. :slight_smile:

Great idea for short or long drives.

I always check before I start but my BGs can be volatile sometimes and can rise and fall fairly quickly.

But what about car sharing? How difficult would it be to include rental cars like Zipcar and AutoShare?