CHICAGO DESA CONFERENCE: Version 2

OK, just had my computer crash during the last session, so I get to write this again!

I was in Chicago this past weekend for the Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association (www.diabetes-exercise.org) midwest regional conference. It was held at the Northwestern Medical center in downtown Chicago. It was a rainy day, so I didn't mind missing the St. Pats day parade. The rain helped keep down the drunken factor as well!

The conference was good, and I made several important contacts. While the majority of attendees were type 1, and most of the info seemed geared at type 1s, I took a lot away from the conference. I was lucky enough to talk to Doug Dressman, the executive director of DESA, at length about type 2s and exercise and plans for the future.

I will be establishing a DESA chapter in Madison this spring and have the goals of forming a DESA team to participate in local running events, as well as forming a training program to train type 2s to run in their first 5k.... and then more.

What was most interesting to me in the conference, is that many type 1s expressed the difficulty that exercise and sports present to them in their blood sugar control regimen (lots of lows), at least in the short term. Type 2s on the other hand get almost nothing but positive results from exercise and sports.

More.... later!

Troy

very cool!

That is interesting. As I went through the materials from DESA, I had always been struck by the focus on type 1s. If that has changed, I think that is a very positive change. I do find it interesting that there is a view that type 2s get only positive results from exercise. Myself, I have been struggling with high blood sugars from exercise and as one can imagine, without insulin, there is little that one can do besides stop/reduce the activity.

I think the view that exercise for type 2s is only positive, is because spikes usually occurr after very intense exercise (which, theoretically, type 2s aren’t doing…!) and that those spikes are relatively short lived because the reason behind the spike is usually related to a countery regulatory hormone (cortisol, adrenaline) raising the BG number.

As I’ve said before, I kind of get the focus on type 1s, as they tend to be more athletic, because they are typically diagnosed young, and the young are generally more active. But I really believe there is a wave of “adult-onset athletes” coming. To be on the forefront of that and help those with pre-diabetes prevent or delay the disease, and type 2s manage it more successfully is my goal, any organization involved with diabetes needs to reconize that. Yes a cure would be nice (ADA, JDRF research) , but in the meantime, almost anyone can do something to get those sugars down!

Does the ADA run events as the CDA ( in Canada) does , called Team Diabetes with National and International walks /runs of 5, 8, 10 K, 1/2 marathons,full marathons , bicycle rides , hikes in the Grand Canyon, and Costa Rica ( volcano ) ??..besides a fund raiser for the association ,this is also an awareness raiser and to top it of people with pre-diabetes , type 2’s , type 1s , type 3s participate .Team D celebrates it’s 10 th year this Spring …for young and old and my personal 10 th event as well .
I remember doing the marathon in Disney World Jan 2009 ,several chaps from Alaska and Washington State were Team D . members ; they worked for a Canadian outfit, who assisted their staff raising funds and these men mentioned, that their $$ would go to the ADA …a win win situation .
And by the way I am NOT young , ha, ha .
PS Team Diabetes is a TU member on the Canadian site , if you like to check it out .