Chinese food advice

From what I have read of what others do, Caleb seems to have extreme extended bolus needs. The OmniPod won’t even allow an extended bolus longer than 8 hours. I played with it over time and just figured out what works. Different than what many other people seem to need, for these foods Caleb needs just about all the carbs covered up front and then about 50% to 75% of that on top of it over the eight hours. If Caleb’s basal rates were higher, I think increasing his basal rate by a percentage might work a little better. But because they are low and varied, I can’t set a fixed amount and using a percentage increase results in insulin getting lost in rounding. I expect as he grows we’ll be able to utilize that feature instead of the extended bolus.

Hmmn,

Because we have a two year old, going to the local china buffet has been a treat for us! lol? Anyway I always head for shrimp which is usually sauteed in butter or oil, and crab legs. Of course, I always have some bad stuff and bolus appropriately as well. In my opinion, eating out is ALWAYS a crap shoot. You really never know how they can figure out to add something sweet in any dish.

Did you know that McDonald’s had coated there french fries (And maybe still do) with sugar to make them turn golden brown?

wow! did not know that about McD’s!

Haha, I’ll have to wake up early to give you that account, Danny, since I’m still on my winter break from school and intend to continue to take advantage of it!

Thanks for the advice! And I know you what you mean about being “intimidated” by the idea of certain foods… I clearly feel this way, or I wouldn’t have started this discussion!

MSG … No for me …I miss the Indonesian Rijstafel , coming from the Netherlands , yet I survived nicely . I never mastered eating Chinese foods , however the restaurant living in our previous place always obliged by prepping without MSG

And unlike other fastfood fries, McDonald’s fries are apparently formed/extruded fries. They have wheat flour in their ingredients - DH had celiac and can’t have them. It was a sad day when we found out he couldn’t have them.

I think most restaurants will make something specific. Since I con’t tolerate a lot of salt I also have to be very specific about no soy sauce or msg and usually choose several vegetables and some meat to be steamed. If they have brown rice I might have a little, but a tablespoon of white rice will send me over the top. Also, naked spring rolls work for me, but, without the sauce it doesn’t seem worth it. You are making me hungry.,

Okay, an update, as Danny requested, except it at 9:43AM sharp, not 8AM, since I woke up 3 minutes ago. (see, Danny, told you that I wake up late)

I got this ginger shrimp dish that I specifically asked to be prepared with no sauce. This was a very “upscale” chinese restaurant so the waiter was very receptive. Anyway, it was delish and I was very happy. I did not eat any carb, no rice or noodles, nothing but the shrimp.

Anyway, I still got high BG about an hour later. Any ideas? (It did come down very quickly, with one correction, so clearly it was not a high that needed an extended bolus to break down a lot of carbs)

Ultimately, I think it went pretty good since I wasn’t fighting a major high and I liked what I ordered. Would still like to know why I got high when I ate no carbs! Guess there STILL could have been something in the sauceless preparation to have done it!

Thanks again for everyone’s insight. It was VERY HELPFUL, and would have felt much more insecure without it!

So why would you go “high” if there was no sauce. Well, there may not have been a sauce, but there was probably a marinade. And usually a marinade will contain sugar, not much, but one or two teaspoons would be routine. Who knows what else was in there. But the biggest question is “how much did you eat?” A pound of shrimp has about 125 g of protein, enough to cause a marked blood sugar rise a few hours later. Also if you ate a “big” serving, it could have had “zero” carbs and still caused a high due to the “Chinese Restaurant Effect.”

great theories! I think all of these are plausible!

Take your (higher) meal insulin right when you start the meal (not a fan of the 15 min before thing because you DO not know what your getting into…check in 2+ hours, and then youll probably have to redose (or a little less)…

YMMV but thats usually what it amounts to for me on Humalog MDI

Sophie, no matter how you cut Chinese food is always a problem. I duel bolus my pump over a period of time because I always seem to get a high long after I finish. Chinese food is taboo.