Contact Detach disposal

Hi Everyone!

How do those who use contact detach dispose of their sharps and tubing when changing on the run? When I used the inset the hardcase is handy as far as putting all your sharps in then disposing in a regular garbage but with the contact detach their is no casing so nothing to put it in when done. I have sharps container at home but cant think of the best way to solve this when I am not at home. Any ideas?

I use an empty Tic Tac container. I store everything in there (either the small sized one or the larger sized one) until I get home, then empty it into my sharps container and save the Tic Tac container for the next time I travel. For the tubing, I cut the end that attaches to the infusion set off and throw the rest of the tubing (no sharp part) in the garbage but put the sharp bit in the Tic Tac container.

2 Likes

Thats a good idea. If I carry a nail clipper or something to cut the needle part off the tubing then that can fit into a container and dispose of all the rest.

I cut the tubing, not the needle itself. I put the needle plus the bit of tubing and the second patch all inteh Tic Tac container and they fit without problems (especially in the larger sized containers). I only clip the end of the long length of tubing, because that would make things fill up too quickly for a trip of any length. There is a BD needle clipper that clips off just the needle and stores it in a little portable biohazard container, but the Contact-Detach needles (and infusion set insertion needles in general) are too thick to cut, unfortunately.

2 Likes

I also just cut the end piece with scissors and put the metal canula part in sharp container and the rest in he trash. Guess no one really thought disposal procedures when designing this infusion set. But I do love it and just deal with it, like everything else diabetes related.

1 Like

use an old coffee can…This is what I use…just write SHARPS on it then when it’s full throw it in the regular trash…

1 Like

Carrying the many wonders as we all do, I put items in a spare pocket of a bag I would be using, used and emergency, and then transfer what I needed to. I wish I didn’t have to carry anything at all. But I like to get fun bags to use, like the bigger wallet sized bags with a cool design, you can keep them as little trash cans or to hold your items.

My mom a long time ago, when I first was diagnosed, at home we used detergent containers, when full we tighten the lid and taped it like crazy, then throw them away in the trash, don’t really do that anymore, most of what I use now have caps or isn’t that dangerous or lethal.

~Sarah

1 Like

I’m thinking it would fit in an empty test strip bottle. I might try this next time I need to. Otherwise any small hard container would work.

2 Likes

I think with all the ideas here I finally came up with a system. I sandwich bag my supplies into packets the same as I did with inset and when I use it I use the bag as a garbage. I bought the safety needle clippers for under $4 and keep it in my bag. When I dispose of the contact detach I clip the needle and dispose of the tubing in the sandwich bag with everything else. So far its working. I didn’t even know those needle clippers existed lol. thank you

Which needle clipper did you buy? The one I have doesn’t clip the Contact-Detach needles. Maybe it’s too dull. If there’s one that will clip those needles, then I would much rather use that than my current Tic Tac container! :slight_smile:

I bought the BD safe clip. They do have 2 kinds and I think the one I got is newer and a bit smaller as well. It fits right into my case. I got the same one at a neighborhood store for $3.60.

2 Likes