Convince pump to adjust for syringed bolus

Hi all.
I’m an avid golfer wearing my Animas vibe pump on my belt during this hot weather in Florida. I’m seeing some extreme highs telling me that my Humalog insulin is losing potency in the heat. I always carry a temperature controlled spare vial and syringes in a cooler. I bolus based on my pump’s eze BG calculations but the pump has no idea that I did the bolus, so the next calculation that the pump makes based on current BG, carb intake and “insulin on board” will be inaccurate because the “insulin on board” does not include the syringed bolus. Hence I see extreme lows sneak up on me. Does anyone know of a way to tell the pump that my syringed bolus is done and included with the “insulin on board” so the calculation is correct? I may or may not have been instructed on this issue and if so have forgotten it. I’ve been pumping for a few years now, type 1 for 38 years. My insurance covers minimal on pumps and supplies as they consider it a luxury from my 35 years of needles. I expect I’ll be using the Animas Vibe with Dexcom 4 as long as it lasts so if anyone that has changed from Animas has any infusion sets etc lying around and not using, please let me know. Thanks for any guidance.
Don

I use a MedT pump but I’ve had the same question several times. Sometimes when I’ve got enough basal in the pump to last through the workday, but not enough if I have to bolus for lunch, I’ll bring an injector along and bolus from that. Downside as you say is that the pump doesn’t know to count it as IOB. For my pump anyway I don’t think there’s a way to enter that kind of data other than by actually doing the bolus.

Do you not refill your pump when you should, or are u trying to squeeze every last unit out of the reservoir? I don’t like cutting it that close, and certainly don’t do pens when I have a pump. If cost is the issue, wouldn’t having pens and vials be more costly? I know you have a good answer for me! :slight_smile:

Whenever you do a syringe injection, unplug your pump infusion and bolus “into the air” the same amount that you injected with the syringe.

5 Likes

@Don17 - The only way around this is to disconnect pump from site and manually bolus (not into yourself). It’s a waste of a couple units of insulin, and if your infusion site is somewhere private you may need to sneak into trees on Fairways to pull your pants down :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Flip your pump around so that the pump is facing your body! that’s what I do when I lay out in the sun (something I seldom do any more thanks to concerns that all that extra sun is going to give me skin cancer). plus, it makes my skin itch temporarily. I’d rather just go hiking, biking, or do yard work, than lay motionless, getting baked. :slight_smile:

Great answer.
I’ll try that for sure. Meanwhile I guess I’ll invent a pouch that can handle a small gel pack and not affect my golf swing.
Thanks Don

2 Likes

Thanks I’ll try it tomorrow.

Cheers Don

1 Like

Nothing so complicated. I do it every once in a while when I get a low reservoir warning first thing in the morning and I’m feeling rushed to get to work on time and just don’t want to deal with it then. I set my pump to warn me 12 hrs ahead, so if I get an alert at 6am I know it’s enough to last the day, but not if I need to bolus for anything. I get a box of pen injectors every year for backup in case of a pump failure, so if I’m feeling pressed for time I’ll take one with me so I don’t have to futz with changing infusion sites until I get home. I’ve also sometimes done it when I know I’m going to be away for an extended period and it seems like a waste to change sets with, say, 15 units still in the pump but I don’t know exactly when I’m going to get home or what I’m going to be eating, and carrying an injector is a lot simpler than bringing vial + infusion set + reservoir + alcohol swabs and figuring out a convenient place to go through the whole rigmarole of a change. It’s just a convenience sometimes.

ETA: incidentally, one of the things I like about my old pager-style Paradigm, vs the 670, is that you can set the low reservoir warning to go by time left, rather than units left, because knowing how much time you have is much more to the point. I long ago decided that the 12 hr setting is best because I hate getting those alerts at stupid-o’clock in the morning and having to drag myself out of bed and change sets then. Whereas with the 12 hr setting I always have enough time to plan it out. If I get the warning at 3 a.m., I can just shut it off and ignore it until I get up at the normal time. If I get it at 3 p.m. I know I’ve got to change it in the evening so I don’t run out in the middle of the night.

Thanks again.

Great info. It’s nice to continue learning from peers.

Don

Go look up frio pouches. They are activated by putting them in water and then stay cool for hours. I’ve seen several diabetics on YouTube put their pumps in them when in high temperatures or full sun.

Thanks I’ll try that. Sounds good.
Cheers Don